User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Dale G,

For an interesting twist. I installed E rated LT tires on my half ton truck and have been working up the best tire pressure based on load, handling and comfort. I air my truck tires to 42 psi cold whether loaded with the Imagine or empty. The truck performs great with the upgrade under all conditions. Under load the pressure will increase by 6 psi (both front and back) and the temperature at 10 deg above ambient.

For my Imagine, I moved from a D rated tire to an E rated tire and use the same 65 psi that was listed on the label on the trailer at 65psi. This pressure gives me 400lbs additional load capacity (higher safety factor) per tire and my suspension is not being punished.

For the future, you have these options to move up to a heavier constructed tire if you ever decide to do so.
    I did do that for the truck. I put Michelin Defender LTX tires on it and then contacted Michelin to see what they recommended. They used my truck's VIN and the information on the camper, make/model, loaded weight, loaded tongue weight, and length and told me to run 55PSI with no load and with the trailer run 80PSI in the back and 65PSI in the front. They also told me to never run the tires with less than 55PSI, I guess that is their minimum pressure. The truck rides a little rougher than it did with the P tires it came with but it is rock solid when towing. Where I notice the tires the most is when I am not towing and I run over a bump at an angle where each tire hits it individually, like coming out of a parking lot, the sidewalls have no give and it will really rock the truck. Other than that it is worth the small comfort trade-off to get a more stable towing platform.

Thanks for the ideas of upgrading the trailer tires next time but I think I will be really happy with the Endurance tires. I hope it will also help with the big rig suck like so many have reported. That will be a nice plus.

Dale
    Dale & Tammy
    Retired U. S Army and Retired Helicopter Pilot
    2021 Ford F-350, 6.7L Diesel, 4x4, Lariat Ultimate
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK (sold)
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale G View Post
    I did do that for the truck. I put Michelin Defender LTX tires on it and then contacted Michelin to see what they recommended. They used my truck's VIN and the information on the camper, make/model, loaded weight, loaded tongue weight, and length and told me to run 55PSI with no load and with the trailer run 80PSI in the back and 65PSI in the front. They also told me to never run the tires with less than 55PSI, I guess that is their minimum pressure. The truck rides a little rougher than it did with the P tires it came with but it is rock solid when towing. Where I notice the tires the most is when I am not towing and I run over a bump at an angle where each tire hits it individually, like coming out of a parking lot, the sidewalls have no give and it will really rock the truck. Other than that it is worth the small comfort trade-off to get a more stable towing platform.

Thanks for the ideas of upgrading the trailer tires next time but I think I will be really happy with the Endurance tires. I hope it will also help with the big rig suck like so many have reported. That will be a nice plus.

Dale
    I'll try to find the load chart for the Defender tires. It starts at 35 psi.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that is a lot less than they told me. So much for asking the experts. If you find it that would be great. I don't drive it much without the trailer but it would be nice to be able to soften the ride for around town. When we are traveling and using the truck to site see I leave the tires inflated for towing because it is too difficult to find a place with air that can get the tires to where they need to be. Everything now days uses those cheap air compressors that you have to insert quarters to use them.

Thanks,
    Dale
    Dale & Tammy

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Goodyear Endurance tire pressure

Below 55 psi and your TPMS sensors report “low tire pressure”.

When we unhook, I air down all four truck tires to 59 psi so the truck rides like a Cadillac. The day before we leave I go back to 80 rear 75 front.

Woohooo! 2,000th post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post

When we unhook, I air down all four truck tires to 59 psi so the truck rides like a Cadillac. The day before we leave I go back to 80 rear 75 front.

Woohooo! 2,000th post!

After multiple calls to Michelin I was able to get a different answer for everyone I talked to so the recommended pressures were; what my truck said I should run (35PSI), 40PSI, and 50PSI. Then I got in touch with a young lady that actually knew what she was talking about, or at least it seemed that way. She said a "P" metric tire in the size P275/65R18 would have a rating of 2403lbs when inflated to the suggested 35PSI, now we are getting somewhere. She said the LT Defender LTX in a LT275/65R18 is rated at 2310lbs at 45PSI and 2535lbs at 50PSI. In order to match what the truck came with I would need to run 47PSI on the Michelin tires to equal 2403lbs of the original equipment tires. I think we have a good solid answer. She said that there is no need to run more pressure when towing unless I wanted to have a stiffer sidewall. I might try towing at 47PSI to see if the tires are still stiff enough to keep the trailer from swaying, if not, I can always add a little air until it is more stable.

Dale
    Dale & Tammy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the one I finally was able to find, even though it is for the LTX AT2 tires, but it matches the numbers the Michelin Tech was using, https://www.michelintruck.com/refere...tion-tables/#/

Dale
    Dale & Tammy

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale G View Post
    This is the one I finally was able to find, even though it is for the LTX AT2 tires, but it matches the numbers the Michelin Tech was using, https://www.michelintruck.com/refere...tion-tables/#/

Dale
    Dale,

I did not see your latest post. 47 psi would be fine for your rig. You do have the choice of airing down when empty and use the 47 psi when loaded. Your call where this is a personal choice.

I just pulled my weight slips from my RV and going off my heavy truck axle (the rear) my heavily loaded axle weight was at 3520 lbs. Dividing this number in half gives 1760 lbs. From the charts, my 42 psi puts me at over 2200 lbs per tire and at 4400 lbs for the rear axle. An 880 lb buffer.

Glad you were able to speak with the young lady that knew what she was doing.

Jim
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 06-12-2019 at 05:08 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post

Woohooo! 2,000th post!

Ed,

This makes sense for a 3/4 ton. For us half ton folks with E rated tires, we should not rely on a TPMS to alert us for low pressure in non-emergency conditions but rather monitor them through the DIC which will report out each tires pressure. I've had to air my tires down as the ambient temperatures have been climbing. My half ton empty at 42 psi will result in a pressure rise to 45 once warmed up. Loaded they increase to 48 psi.

Congrats on the 2K post.

Jim
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 06-12-2019 at 05:06 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dale,

I did not see your latest post. 47 psi would be fine for your rig. You do have the choice of airing down when empty and use the 47 psi when loaded. Your call where this is a personal choice.

I just pulled my weight slips from my RV and going off my heavy truck axle (the rear) my heavily loaded axle weight was at 3520 lbs. Dividing this number in half gives 1760 lbs. From the charts, my 42 psi puts me at over 2200 lbs per tire and at 4400 lbs for the rear axle. An 880 lb buffer.

Glad you were able to speak with the young lady that knew what she was doing.

Jim
    Jim,

I saw that in the charts and was actually think of 40PSI when not towing but I hardly drive the truck when it is home and putting it at 47PSI would keep me from having to change it up and down as long as it tows well at that PSI, decisions, decisions Now I just need my truck back. I had the 30,000 mile service done a couple of weeks ago and it started running bad. Come to find out the throttle body was going bad. I guess Ford has a service bulletin out about them and as long as the truck is in warranty Ford will replace it for free, unfortunately mine is a 2015. Good thing for extended warranties, a very expensive ah sh*t will only be the cost of the $100 deductible.

Dale

Dale
    Dale & Tammy

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swapped all five for Endurances three weeks after we bought the 337RLS.

Navy, I miss the open ocean, don't miss the ships!
    2017 F350 Lariat
    Co-Pilot RV Navigation System
    Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Package
    B&W Companion 25K
    Trail Air 18K King Pin
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Winegard Connect 2.0 4G/LTE Wifi Extender
    Winegard Traveler HD Antenna
    Honda EU3000is Generator onboard
    Boston Whaler Dauntless Boat

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast