Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alignment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alignment

I just got a pleasant surprise when I took the tires off our Imagine 2670MK to take them down to get new Goodyear Endurance tires mounted. The inside edge of the left rear tire is worn almost completely off where the other tires still look new. When I had them off before we started the camping season to inspect the brakes and grease the bearings I did not notice any unusual wear pattern. We have only made one trip this year and that was from Southeast Missouri to Canton, TX just outside of Dallas. I also found damage to the sidewall of the tire in front of this tire, it has a pretty good cut in the sidewall. I don't know if what caused the cut in the tire also damaged the axle/spindle of the wheel behind it. I guess it is a good thing I decided to replace the Westlakes with Goodyears before our next trip. The tires have just under 5000 miles on them.

I already called our dealer and he thinks I hit something like a large pothole and damaged the spindle since the tire looked OK prior to the TX trip. That is entirely possible since last year we went up to Michigan and returned through Indianapolis. They have potholes in that city that a VW Bug would disappear in. So the dealership is going to start by first checking the spindle and axle on that wheel then they are going to check the alignment to make sure I didn't knock it out of alignment.

Always seems to be something.

Dale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tires.jpg   Tires2.jpg  
    Dale & Tammy
    Retired U. S Army and Retired Helicopter Pilot
    2021 Ford F-350, 6.7L Diesel, 4x4, Lariat Ultimate
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK (sold)
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. I'd buy a lottery ticket today...just sayin.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Nice. I'd buy a lottery ticket today...just sayin.
    With my luck I would buy a winning ticket and loose it before I got back to my car.
    I am glad I didn't go back out with the cut sidewall and damaged spindle/axle. I also made a mistake on the mileage, we have 9700 on the camper, must have looked at the wrong mileage on the truck display.

Dale
    Dale & Tammy

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got a similar situation with our Imagine 2800BH. We had the wheel bearings cleaned, inspected, and re-packed, along with replaced hub seals, and inspected brakes back in April. During a trip to Florida the other week, we noticed some significant tread wear on the inside edge of the rear street-side tire.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190601_100758302 (1).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	20668
    Our trailer is at the shop now to determine whether there is a problem with alignment, a problem with the axle, or some other issue.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jw^2 family View Post
    We've got a similar situation with our Imagine 2800BH. We had the wheel bearings cleaned, inspected, and re-packed, along with replaced hub seals, and inspected brakes back in April. During a trip to Florida the other week, we noticed some significant tread wear on the inside edge of the rear street-side tire.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190601_100758302 (1).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	20668
    Our trailer is at the shop now to determine whether there is a problem with alignment, a problem with the axle, or some other issue.
    That is exactly the same as mine, same tire, same wear pattern, even looks the same. Let me know what they find and I will post back once I get the trailer to the shop.

Dale
    Dale & Tammy

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dale G and jw^2 family,

What did you find on your trailer?

We are currently considering a 2800BH and wondering what year yours are.

Any other comments on the 2800BH appreciated. How does one AC handle the trailer? We are in Texas and it gets in the high 90's or hotter during the summer here. I know the 2019 and 2020 offer two AC's, but we usually buy used, so needing input on current and previous models.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDSTexas View Post
    Dale G and jw^2 family,

Any other comments on the 2800BH appreciated. How does one AC handle the trailer? We are in Texas and it gets in the high 90's or hotter during the summer here. I know the 2019 and 2020 offer two AC's, but we usually buy used, so needing input on current and previous models.

Thanks
    Ours was a bent spindle, probably that way since new so Grand Design replaced the axle for us at no cost to us. Our camper is a 2018 and we mainly use the front AC when we get to a site to quickly cool the camper off. Once the camper is cooled off we turn the front AC off. The back one does fine at keeping the camper cool.
    Dale
    Dale & Tammy

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dale G and jw^2 family,

Thanks
    Like Dale, our problem turned out to be bent spindles on both ends of the rear axle. Unlike Dale, our Imagine was 15 months old at the time, so Grand Design did absolutely nothing to help us since we were past the 1 year base warranty period. Dexter stepped up and provided two brand new axle assemblies a no cost. The replacement 3,500-lb. axles have 3"-dia. tubes vs. the 2-3/8"-dia. tubes on the original axles.

If you're looking at a current model year Imagine 2800BH then it's going to come with 4,400-lb. axles so hopefully that will let you avoid the experience of bent spindles.

We're in Georgia so it gets a little warm here too. We haven't had any problems with a single air conditioner, but most of our camping is done at state parks where we're in the shade for at least part of the day.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dale G and jw^2 family,

Thanks for the quick responses! I am new on the forum and finding people to be very helpful. Glad both of you are getting your trailers repaired. I have to wonder if GD had a run of bad springs, though having 500 lbs more on one side sounds like they should have beefed them up sooner.

I think considering the hi temps here we want the option of a second AC. The trailer we have now is a Puma 30RKSS with one AC and it just doesn't keep up if we don't have a shaded site. We go mostly to state parks too, so we do our best to get a well shaded site and it will do a pretty good job then. Two AC's would really be nice from what I am hearing. I'm not sure why they don't offer it as an option in the 2500RL and 2600RB. They probably do better being a little shorter, but it would still be nice to have when it gets really hot. As you said Dale, just to cool off the camper faster and then shut it down if not needed.

Thanks again for your input!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dale G and jw^2 family,

Thanks for the quick responses! I am new on the forum and finding people to be very helpful. Glad both of you are getting your trailers repaired. I have to wonder if GD had a run of bad springs, though having 500 lbs more on one side sounds like they should have beefed them up sooner.

I think considering the hi temps here we want the option of a second AC. The trailer we have now is a Puma 30RKSS with one AC and it just doesn't keep up if we don't have a shaded site. We go mostly to state parks too, so we do our best to get a well shaded site and it will do a pretty good job then. Two AC's would really be nice from what I am hearing. I'm not sure why they don't offer it as an option in the 2500RL and 2600RB. They probably do better being a little shorter, but it would still be nice to have when it gets really hot. As you said Dale, just to cool off the camper faster and then shut it down if not needed.

Thanks again for your input!
    Not a problem, good luck with your decision and the camper you decide to get. The best thing of the second AC is it upgrades the camper to a 50 amp system, big improvement over 30 amp.
    Dale
    Dale & Tammy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast