User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refrigerator woes again - so frustrating

After our fridge stopped working after parking out of level at an orchard, I let the thing run all winter long and it showed 33-34F all winter long.

So I figured the fridge would be ok for our summer trip.

My wife overpacked the thing honestly, but the temps got up to 50 degrees on propane during a 7 hour drive in 100F temps.

When we got to Las Vegas, I went and got 20 lbs of ice for our ice chest and transferred our perishables into that while the little outside refrigerator got cold.

We let the inside fridge run all night on electric (50 amp site) and by this morning it was down to 39 F. My wife reloaded some of the stuff into the fridge LOOSELY packed. The unit is showing 40 F.

Is this normal or do we have an issue with this awful fridge again?

I feel like next year we're going to ditch this POS and get the Samsung to replace it. But that's a big expense considering I will probably need solar and batteries. UGH!!!
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be normal, but without knowing what was put in and what the freezer temperature was it would be hard to tell.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Norcold refrigerator. I don’t know which one you have, but does it have a temp adjustment knob? I leave ours on the coldest setting while traveling. I can’t tell you for sure what the temp is when I arrive, but I would say no more than 40. We generally keep ours on the next setting to the lowest when camping, otherwise our refrigerated items begin to freeze.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it’s a Norcold. I’ll check when we get back to the trailer. I have it set at the Max cold setting - level 5.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. The 12-cft fridge is the worst. I'd much rather have a small fridge that actually works. I bought a YETI to store our food while we wait a day or so for the big guy to cool down.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I get a Samsung residential do I need to upgrade my house batteries as well? Right now we have 2 Interstate lead acid batteries. Our typical travel day is about 5-7 hrs depending on how many stops the kids need. We don’t boondock since we are limited by tank capacity for 5 people.

So so can I get by with 4 lead acid batteries or do I need some of the newer battery technology? And as a consequence do I need solar to recharge them or will a simple overnight charge at a campsite with 30 or 50 amp power suffice? Of course we are usually running both our AC units at the same time.

BTW our fridge is the side by side 12 cu ft Dometic. We just got back from dinner and it still shows 40 degrees. The meat in the freezer remains frozen but I’m worried about the rest of the stuff.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    If I get a Samsung residential do I need to upgrade my house batteries as well? Right now we have 2 Interstate lead acid batteries. Our typical travel day is about 5-7 hrs depending on how many stops the kids need. We don’t boondock since we are limited by tank capacity for 5 people.
    We have the residential fridge in our unit and our travel days are around 8 hours. We've only made 4 trips of this length so far but the fridge worked fine on the inverter with our two lead acid batteries. I didn't have my battery monitor then but when we arrived at our overnight sites with 50 amp service then left the next day, all seemed fine. The cheesy OEM "battery monitor" showed full. I'll be using our new Victron BMV-712 battery monitor the next time we travel so I'll keep an eye on the state of charge while driving. Pretty excited about that!

I would guess that you don't need any more batteries for 5-7 hour drives followed by an overnight 50 amp charge at a campsite. If it was me, I'd bring a meter next time you travel and check the batteries before you leave each morning and see if they are fully charged. If they are, no need for more batteries!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your refrigerator in the slide out? If so, remove the upper vent and see if GD installed the baffle. Here is a link to a prior discussions on the Atwood refrigerator. The same venting would apply to your Dometic.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...1374#post41374

Two additional things; first, RV refrigerators don’t work well at high ambient temperatures regardless. You said it was 100 degrees out that day. Secondly, many have added additional fans both below and above the cooling fins to push/pull hot air up and out the upper vent. That is something you may want to consider.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post

So so can I get by with 4 lead acid batteries or do I need some of the newer battery technology? And as a consequence do I need solar to recharge them or will a simple overnight charge at a campsite with 30 or 50 amp power suffice? Of course we are usually running both our AC units at the same time.

BTW our fridge is the side by side 12 cu ft Dometic. We just got back from dinner and it still shows 40 degrees. The meat in the freezer remains frozen but I’m worried about the rest of the stuff.
    Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLiRZqNErSg

Below is a chart I'm using to track the aH consumption of my Dometic (same as yours) while towing. If you've watched the video linked above, you should be able to identify that the Dometic consumes more than the Samsung. (In the video it consumed 200aH in 11 hours, so the Samsung uses ~18aH while the Dometic is up around ~33aH.)

You might also note in the video he referenced "usable" aH from his batteries. Lead acid's can safely provide ~50% of their rated power. Since I have four Battle Born lithiums I have access to 100% of their rated power, or 400aH. No doubt the batteries are expensive, but worth every penny if the budget will allow.

Last thought--if you go with a residential refrigerator, consider the situation where you're stuck without any source of shore power for an extended period. Since propane won't be an option, having more battery capacity than "minimally required" is essential. What I'm going to do is 1) tap the truck's capabilities to help power the Dometic while underway, preserving most (if not all) of the battery capacity and 2) get a relatively small propane powered-generator to recharge the batteries in a "boondock" scenario (and also run an air conditioner).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inverter History.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	20671
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lexx,

I checked our fridge this morning, and it is holding at least 38 degrees on the number 4 setting. I don’t have a side by side though. I’m not certain yours isn’t performing adequately.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast