User Tag List

Thread: Rv gps

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rv gps

Looking for an RV GPS. Does anyone know what the difference is between the Garmin 770 and the 780 other than $100 difference in price?
    Wanda & Jim and Tedi Doodles
    2020 Reflection 337 rls
    2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jyork08854 View Post
    Looking for an RV GPS. Does anyone know what the difference is between the Garmin 770 and the 780 other than $100 difference in price?
    Lots of discussion here about GPS:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...stems?p=217503
    Last edited by livinthelife; 06-12-2019 at 04:02 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 770 is a discontinued model.
    The 780 seems to be pretty much the same, with added "3D views".
    They toute the same features and specs otherwise, perhaps the custom routing based on RV specs may be improved in the 780. But that is unclear from Garmin.
    I had the old Dezl RV, and now the 660. Generally I like it better than say Google, but it doesn't seem to be as smart at rerouting due to traffic or other delays. Mine defaults to designated "truck routes", and really doesn't like it when you deviate from them. So that may be the big change with the 770/780.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search Amazon for a Garmin Dezl they are truck/transport/RV models that take into account your vehicle height, length, and weight when plotting routes. Well worth the piece of mind!
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...editprofilepic
    2019 Grand Design 303RLS
    2016 RAM 3500 SRW 6.7 I6 Cummins Diesel
    Tottenham, ON Canada

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jyork08854 you've probably discovered that all but one of the links offered by @livinthelife are broken (they are for me). This forum has been undergoing changes.

I just re-found the following thread links using Google, hope they work better.

The threads include my reports of really frustrating behavior from several different late-model Garmin GPSs, but I can't recommend anything better than these devices. After frustrating misleads we now routinely use one or more of the Garmins, often with the truck's built-in GPS also operating, and often with Google Maps ALSO operating, and have thereby avoided misleads. The Garmins have improved somewhat with updates, but still do odd things and report wrong information (speed limits, especially) at times.

Others here (probably in these threads, I haven't looked) report success with other mobile-device tools by careful pre-planning and downloading maps before departure. Anything that will rely upon cell service often cannot be relied upon on the road to get you where you're going.

I will further suggest that you not be overly-wowed by the Garmin devices' features for finding and choosing RV sites. There are many other software tools that can be employed, on the road or at a stop somewhere with cell / wi-fi service, that are far, far more useful for doing this.

However as I said above I don't know of a better way than using one of these Garmin (or possibly other manufacturer) GPS devices and supplementing it with other tools. They always know precisely where you are (no cell assistance req'd for accuracy), they provide large clear visual representations of the route and upcoming turns in plenty of time to make them, they (usually) route you around places where the dimensions and weight of your rig won't allow you to pass, some of them include traffic information that can help you avoid hauling your tons of trailer through stop-and-go traffic, and their databases of campsites and repair facilities have some limited usefulness.

Good luck with your choice.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-780-vs-RV-770

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-GPS-vs-RV-GPS

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-RV-Navigation
    Last edited by boyscout; 06-12-2019 at 06:43 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. We have a Garmin in the car and like it. The new truck has GPS but we want one that takes a Reflection into account. The 770 is "on sale" for $299 now and the 780 is $399. Trying to figure out what the "improvements" are on the 780 and if they are worth $100. The Garmin web site doesn't help and the re-sellers descriptions make them sound virtually the same.
    Wanda & Jim and Tedi Doodles
    2020 Reflection 337 rls
    2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually