Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anti sway bar on Ford F350

Has anybody added a rear anti sway bar to their F350 rear suspension to help with large Travel Trailer sway? Had a factory on my F250 . Thinking about adding one to my 2109 F350. Read an article a tech posted on a Ford forum that said it is money well spent and will be a very noticable imorovement as soon as you pull your TT on the expressway or load a heavy load in your truck
    Said its the best money you can spend.
    Any experience please
    Thank you
    Believer

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Balderdash.

Well, not technically "balderdash", but I always wanted to use that word in a sentence.

Technically, the article is misleading.

There are two kinds of sway - towing and non-towing.

Towing sway is what we usually discuss, here, as we are all towing trailers. (Duh.)

A rear "anti-sway" (actually, anti-roll) bar on your truck is not going to address trailer sway much, if any.

What a stiffer bar can (might) do is more firmly anchor the truck against the trailer swaying, but the trailer sway is the problem to be fixed, not the anti-roll bar.

Non-towing sway is more properly called "body roll".

This is the effect you get with a heavy load in the bed with a high center of gravity that makes the truck "sway" in turns.

A stiffer anti-roll bar will definitely help, here.

The anti-roll bars on any vehicle merely transfer the weight of the outside, loaded wheel to the inside, unloaded wheel during a turn.

At all other times (going straight), they do absolutely nothing.

If your truck body is twisting front-to-back and feels like the rear wheels are trying to get in front of the front wheels, you need to either inflate the tires properly, unload the truck back to its capacity or get a stiffer "anti-sway" (anti-roll) bar.

The better option is to check the tire pressures and unload the overloaded truck.

The stock anti-roll bar is plenty big enough for the rating of the truck.

If you think exceeding that is a good idea - Balderdash!

(I got to use it TWICE!)

To address a swaying trailer, just search for "sway" on this forum and you will quickly have more information at your disposal than I can provide in one post.

My solution?

See my sig line.

Stay safe and have fun!

(They are not mutually exclusive!)
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your reply. I looked into them but I am afraid there isnt enough wiggle room for tongue weight. Mine is 1100 empty. A lot of 315rlts owners report 1400 plus average loaded tongue weight...and several were 1700 plus
    Had a good conversation today with tech support from my hitch mfg today. My cat scale is 4860 rear and 4800 front and 8500 trailer axle's. Empty. Got a few more things to try. Lighter weight bars possibly. Air pressure's were 80psi truck rear. 65 psi front . 80psi trailer. Replaced the trailer tires with GY ednurance. Have read they have less sidewall flex. Hoping for improvement. But I will have to aggree the anti sway..roll bar is for another problem.
    Still working through it
    Believer