User Tag List

Thread: Towing advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing advice

My Tacoma is rated at 6400 pounds. I really want a standard imagine 24BH and it has a dry weight of 5600 and GW >7000

I have no clue how much weight one generally adds with food clothes toys etc. could I get away with this? I would think water is heaviest and someone suggested you don’t need to fill until you’re near destination.

Also do I need to add the weight of our stuff in the car or passenger weight?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurryinhoosier View Post
    My Tacoma is rated at 6400 pounds. I really want a standard imagine 24BH and it has a dry weight of 5600 and GW >7000

I have no clue how much weight one generally adds with food clothes toys etc. could I get away with this? I would think water is heaviest and someone suggested you don’t need to fill until you’re near destination.

Also do I need to add the weight of our stuff in the car or passenger weight?

Thanks!
    I can't help with a ballpark number on how much weight is added by what you put in the rig, but I know when we got weighed, we had to have a full tank of fresh water, and they weighed us hitched with both of us in our truck and whatever items we carry in the truck.

It's generally a good idea to travel with some water onboard, you never know if you'll need to pull over due to road conditions/weather. Our recent trip over Memorial Day all high profile vehicles were flagged off the highway to wait for the big winds to die down. We were there for 6 hours before being allowed to continue on our trip. It's nice to have a flushing toilet when pulled over in an area where there are no facilities.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest issue with the Tacoma is payload. Since you want a 2400BH, I'll assume you have kids. The payload capacity of your truck is probably 1200-lbs or less. I couldn't find anything I liked that my 2016 Tacoma could handle once I debited the weight of 4 passengers, the hitch, and the tongue weight from that 1200-lbs. The Tacoma really needs a trailer with a 3500-lb GVW or less. That yields ~400-lbs tongue weight, 400-lbs for passengers, and a bit left for the hitch and any gear you want in the bed of the truck.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's kind of like the real estate saying.....Location, Location, Location....except in the case of trucks and towing/carrying a trailer it's....Payload, Payload, Payload! Check the sticker that is on the Driver Side door post and see what the payload number is for YOUR truck, then do the simple math of approx. 13% of the weight of the trailer will equal your tongue weight, add in the weight of the passenger(s), the weight of the distribution hitch, and anything and everything that goes in and on the truck and you now have two numbers to work with. Subtract all of that weight I just mentioned from the Payload sticker number and see what you've got. I'm afraid that in your case, it's going to be a negative number, which means you are overloaded.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are out of luck with a Tacoma and the 2400BH. Simplest way to narrow down the size of trailer you can safely tow is to subtract the Truck Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) from the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of the truck to determine the GVWR of the trailer.
    GCWR-Truck GVWR = Trailer GVWR

You can get the GCWR for the Tacoma from the owner’s manual or your truck dealer. The Truck GVWR should be on the driver’s door post label.

Trying to fine tune by moving weight from the trailer to the truck or underestimating loads could put you in a dangerous situation.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.