User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Height restriction planning

Having an RV as tall as my Reflection 230rl is new to me and I came up to an overpass yesterday that I was not going to clear. This was on a New York State road and was not marked on Allstays. Wondering what others are using to make sure of clear traveling with height issues? I don’t see a filter on google maps or on the gps in my truck. There must be an app for that.....

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
    Having an RV as tall as my Reflection 230rl is new to me and I came up to an overpass yesterday that I was not going to clear. This was on a New York State road and was not marked on Allstays. Wondering what others are using to make sure of clear traveling with height issues? I don’t see a filter on google maps or on the gps in my truck. There must be an app for that.....
    I find RVParky.com useful. Having just been through Geneseo, illinois I can confirm that there is a 10' clearance on what appears to be the main route through town!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RVParky.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	20677
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For short trips, we check out the route first, without the trailer (very easy to do, even for slightly longer trips because Bruce travels all over the NE for work...daily ). For longer, out of state trips, we plan a route and check each stretch, by state for any restrictions in the Motor Carrier’s Road Atlas. Height, width, tunnels, and other restrictions are listed by state with routes listed in numerical order in charts (had a picture of one, but it didn’t make it into my photo stream). Major routes that are safe for big tractor trailers are highlighted in yellow-orange on all the maps. Bought the 2019 edition on recommendation here. We keep it in the trailer in case we are forced off the highway due to construction or an accident ahead.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case you don't know there are GPS devices for that. Garmin offers truck and RV GPS models that route according to the height / weight of your rig, and other manufacturers likely do too. While there are stories about them failing to do this perfectly, they seem generally to do it well. Plus I find other reasons for having a dedicated large-screen GPS in the truck in addition to the truck's built-in GPS.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Truckers Atlas is a handy atlas to have on hand for quick referance and double checking GPS routes before you hit the road
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a Garmin RV760LMT GPS (current model is 770 or 780) that enables the user to enter height, width, length, weight, etc., and I have also downloaded and installed the lowclearances.com data into our Garmin for anything lower than 14’. So far anyway this has worked quite well for us in our travels, but nothing is fail safe, so we have to stay focused for warning signs, etc., while towing. Most problems with low clearances, but certainly not all, are east of the Mississippi River and especially in the older parts of the country (the East). Very few low clearances out West in our experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    In case you don't know there are GPS devices for that. Garmin offers truck and RV GPS models that route according to the height / weight of your rig, and other manufacturers likely do too. While there are stories about them failing to do this perfectly, they seem generally to do it well. Plus I find other reasons for having a dedicated large-screen GPS in the truck in addition to the truck's built-in GPS.

Good luck.
    X2^^. We have used a Garmin RV GPS for almost six years, now, without any issues. The specs of the rig are entered and, when in RV mode (it also has a car mode for when not towing), it routes us around anything underpasses or tunnels where we won't fit, bridges we're too heavy for, roads where overall length is restricted (yes, they exist), etc. It has not taken us on any Quixotic adventures.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    X2^^. We have used a Garmin RV GPS for almost six years, now, without any issues. The specs of the rig are entered and, when in RV mode (it also has a car mode for when not towing), it routes us around anything underpasses or tunnels where we won't fit, bridges we're too heavy for, roads where overall length is restricted (yes, they exist), etc. It has not taken us on any Quixotic adventures.

Rob
    This has been my experience also, with our Garmin RV 760 and we've been ocean to ocean twice and all over the west without any issues. It has worked as designed.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a time several years ago that this was a major concern for me, I purchased a overhead heights data base, can't find it tonight, but it allowed me import height restricted routes into my GPS and my Street and Trips software that I use for trip planning.

It took several years of traveling. What I have found is that 99.9% of national and state highways have sufficient clearance for a 13' 6" 5th wheel. 14' is the normal. If it is not, then it usually posted well in advance.

Of course the exception is county and township roads. Sometime they are well marked and sometime not.

In any event, I have abandoned using the height restriction database as a planning tool. It simple has not been necessary. In 8 years of traveling around the country I have encounter too low an overhang twice, in both cases they were well marked.

Now trees are another subject, they don't always get trimmed....
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750