User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

proper tire inflation

I have a 2019 Grand momentum 381m, I have been to several Rv rallies with my motor home and the tire manufactures suggest that you weigh your your vehicle to get the weight on the axles and use the tire manufactures weight charts to determine the correct air pressure. i now have a 5th wheel and I'm sure this also applies but I cannot not find any charts or data for the Westlake 235/80 r16 G rated tires other than the max air fir the max load that is on the tire. Over inflation or under inflation can effect tire failure. Has anyone else found the load inflation charts for Westlake tires?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moppie14 View Post
    I have a 2019 Grand momentum 381m, I have been to several Rv rallies with my motor home and the tire manufactures suggest that you weigh your your vehicle to get the weight on the axles and use the tire manufactures weight charts to determine the correct air pressure. i now have a 5th wheel and I'm sure this also applies but I cannot not find any charts or data for the Westlake 235/80 r16 G rated tires other than the max air fir the max load that is on the tire. Over inflation or under inflation can effect tire failure. Has anyone else found the load inflation charts for Westlake tires?
    I have not seen this from Westlake but Lions Head has been very cooperative with me in answering questions in the past. I use inflation tables on both my RV as well as my truck, but I'm running Michelins and Goodyear Endurance on the trailer.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moppie14 View Post
    Under inflation is no doubt one of the main reasons for tire failure, but if you inflate the tires to the recommended pressure that is on the sticker on the front of the trailer (it will 110 psi), that is not over inflating them. Lots of folks believe that the number on the sidewall of the tire is just the maximum cold inflation psi, and to some extent, it is....But more importantly, it is the psi required for the tire to be able to deliver the rated load capacity that is also listed on the sidewall. Unless you can do an individual tire weighing....all six tires individually, go with the sticker psi number....110 psi.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Under inflation is no doubt one of the main reasons for tire failure, but if you inflate the tires to the recommended pressure that is on the sticker on the front of the trailer (it will 110 psi), that is not over inflating them. Lots of folks believe that the number on the sidewall of the tire is just the maximum cold inflation psi, and to some extent, it is....But more importantly, it is the psi required for the tire to be able to deliver the rated load capacity that is also listed on the sidewall. Unless you can do an individual tire weighing....all six tires individually, go with the sticker psi number....110 psi.
    Xrated,

Since RV manufacturers always spec an RV to use tires loaded to their maximum side wall pressure at RV GVWR you are correct. Tires inflated to the max side wall are also more prone to damage. This is why I run E rated tires on my half ton truck and I replaced my D rated tires on my Imagine to E rated. In doing this the pressure charts are used for a comfortable ride while having tires that are capable of much higher loads and with much more durable construction. Also not being at maximum pressures allows some cushion to absorb road shock. The tire manufacturers are technically correct where the RV manufactures leave little to no room to use such tables with the OEM tires.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4