User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Denver CO to Grand Canyon Nat Park S Rim

We are headed to Grand Canyon National Park South Rim from St Louis to Denver then on to the Grand Canyon.
    Looking for best route from Denver to the South Rim. Pulling an Imagine 2250RK with a 2017 Ram 1500 Hemi with 392 rear end

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best route? Scenic?? If you're not afraid of twisting, winding roads with a number of switchbacks one of the most beautiful roads in this country is the Million Dollar Hwy. For scenic I would take I-70 west out of Denver to Copper Mtn and Colorado 91 south to Leadville where it will turn in to US 24 south through Buena Vista (where I'm currently at) to Poncha Springs and US 50 west. US 50 west to Montrose.

In Montrose take US 550 south through Ouray (pronounced You-ray) and over the Million Dollar Hwy. to Durango. This is a two lane highway with very steep drop offs a long way to the bottom but incredably beautiful. Some are afraid to drive it in a car or truck and some are afraid to ride it on a motorcycle. One member of this forum (or was that a facebook group?) pulled his Momentum over it and has posted pics so it can be done with an Imagine much easier. I've rode it (motorcycle) and drove it (my dually and a jeep) many times each.

From Durango you want to go US 50 west to Cortez, Co. where you'll take US 491 south to US 160 west past Four Corners (might want to spend the half hour to go to the Four Corners Monument (plenty of room for RV turn around) where the states of Colorado, New Mexico, Ariz. and Utah come together.

Continue west on US 160 to the town of Kayenta, Ariz. If you want to spend a couple of hours (or a night......there's a KOA and a private campground, Gouldings Campground in Monument Valley) in Monument Valley it's well worth it. It's about 15 miles north of Kayenta on US 163 and well worth the time for the side trip.

Back through Kayenta and continue west on US 160 to south on US 89 to Cameron Trading Post (in the back of the gift shop you can see a Navajo lady actually weaving those large Indian blackets in multi-colors. It's amazing how they remember what color goes where to get those patterns all even. Just south of Cameron Trading Post you'll turn righ (west) on Az 64. This is the east entrance to the south rim of Grand Canyon. In a few miles you'll see an area on the right with a bunch of tables where the Navajo sale jewelry and other items. This is where one of the Walinda's walked a tight rope across the Grand Canyon a few years back. Continue on Az 64 to Grand Canyon Village.

If you've got any questions, just shoot me a message. I've been all over this area many, many times over the years.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much what JCZ says....we just did the Durango to 89 portion on our way back to LA....only difference is that you pick up US 160 in Durango, on the way to Cortez.....then stay on it to Teec Nos Pos, Kayenta and Tuba City. Decent road....expect a bit of chucking.

Cal
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calnca View Post
    Pretty much what JCZ says....we just did the Durango to 89 portion on our way back to LA....only difference is that you pick up US 160 in Durango, on the way to Cortez.....then stay on it to Teec Nos Pos, Kayenta and Tuba City. Decent road....expect a bit of chucking.

Cal
    Cal if you get Air Lift on your truck any time you get on one of those roads that has the chucking you just add 10 psi of air or let 10 psi out, on the fly and it smooths right out. Just an FYI.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^ Yep.....was playing both ways with the bags.....started at 35 in Durango....was as high as 40 and down as low as 25 before settling in at 32. Thanks for the feedback!
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^ Yep.....was playing both ways with the bags.....started at 35 in Durango....was as high as 40 and down as low as 25 before settling in at 32. Thanks for the feedback!
    I run with mine up around 50-65 psi. When I pulled my Momentum 376TH (20,000 lbs.) across there I didn't have any chucking.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    Best route? Scenic?? If you're not afraid of twisting, winding roads with a number of switchbacks one of the most beautiful roads in this country is the Million Dollar Hwy. For scenic I would take I-70 west out of Denver to Copper Mtn and Colorado 91 south to Leadville where it will turn in to US 24 south through Buena Vista (where I'm currently at) to Poncha Springs and US 50 west. US 50 west to Montrose.
    I would call that the white knuckle route. The Million Dollar Highway scares the peewaddling out of me in a truck with no trailer. ha!
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradnailer View Post
    I would call that the white knuckle route. The Million Dollar Highway scares the peewaddling out of me in a truck with no trailer. ha!
    Yep, it may not be for some flatlanders. I lived in Sacramento most of my life....60 miles east we're at 7,000 feet and beautiful Lake Tahoe....Colorado is my favorite state so I've put thousands of miles down in this state. While I wouldn't take my 42' Momentum down 550 (even though it's been done), it shouldn't be much of an issue with his Imagine. Again, the route I laid out is probably the most scenic however, not for everybody. If you're able to pull your RV down the road and stay in your lane then it shouldn't be an issue for anybody....a cliff on one side of the road and a deep river canyon on the other side but the highway is still legal width. Trucks go up and down these highways every day.

On a side note, we are here in Buena Vista with our Momentum and it's 9,000 ft. here. I've been over many of the passes here in Colorado with my Momentum.

Attachment 20711

Attachment 20713

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190428_112948_resized.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	20719

Name:	20190301_121318_resized.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	20720
    Last edited by JCZhome; 06-13-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    Momentum 376TH (20,000 lbs.)
    Just for kicks had my rig weighed at CAT Scale in Cortez.......full fuel, pretty much empty tanks, GCVW was 27,740
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for kicks had my rig weighed at CAT Scale in Cortez.......full fuel, pretty much empty tanks, GCVW was 27,740
    I had my individual wheels weighed. A little over weight on my Momentum.........by 1,025 lbs. Combined 30,625 so the truck was over by 125 lbs. I've since shed some weight so hopefully I'm under now......

Name:	JCZ All wheels weigh ticket.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	20722

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast