User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really looking much at RPM, the most prominent behavior is how quickly the 2500 drops speed while comparing a climb on the same hill. The 1500 will hold the speed much better. Also, the 1500 will likely not downshift where the 2500 does downshift.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saguido View Post
    Sorry Midwest, I didn't answer the whole question...there is no intermittent flashing engine light, but I wonder if the chucking and perceived lack of power could be related. Sometimes it seems like there is a slight chucking even when I'm not towing (then I think I'm getting a little crazy!) Maybe a call to the chevy dealer tomorrow would be a good idea.
    Saguido,

I was leaning toward a misfire condition so yes, take the truck to the dealer and let them know you feel its low on power. Also keep in mind, with the difference in final drive ratio's your 2500 will be running at a higher RPM at the same speed as your 1500 while in the same gear. This is not a concern and would be expected. Also with the same load you are towing, the 2500 is heavier which may at times put you in 4th gear or this may be 5th gear open converter. So this scenario is normal but its hard to determine if there is a degradation in performance so a visit to the dealer is best at this time.

Jim
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 06-13-2019 at 07:39 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm definitely going to the dealer. This is not my first 2500HD. I had a 2002 for a while, which had the 4.10, so I am familiar with the higher RPM's and that is not a concern right now. A couple years ago, I went from a 2008 GMC with 3.73 gears and 4-speed tranny to the 2015 with the max trailer package and 6 speed tranny and was extremely impressed in the power and towing with the 2015 model.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We too had a 2014 5.3 liter 1500 max tow pulling an 8000 lb travel trailer. We knew at some point we would move to a 5th wheel and had the opportunity to go to a 6.0 liter gas 3500 dually. We pulled the travel trailer for 1 year with the 3500 including a trip to Colorado and other than being more "planted" without the bother of equalizer bars and dual cam, I would say it pulled the same as the 1500. We ran both trucks in 5th gear. We are now pulling a 12000 lb Reflection 337 and it does go to 4th gear more often, but that is understandable. You may want to have the catalytic converter checked. An exhaust restriction would have symptoms like you are describing.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBH_MI View Post
    We too had a 2014 5.3 liter 1500 max tow pulling an 8000 lb travel trailer. We knew at some point we would move to a 5th wheel and had the opportunity to go to a 6.0 liter gas 3500 dually. We pulled the travel trailer for 1 year with the 3500 including a trip to Colorado and other than being more "planted" without the bother of equalizer bars and dual cam, I would say it pulled the same as the 1500. We ran both trucks in 5th gear. We are now pulling a 12000 lb Reflection 337 and it does go to 4th gear more often, but that is understandable. You may want to have the catalytic converter checked. An exhaust restriction would have symptoms like you are describing.
    A smoked converter is a symptom from a misfire condition and absolutely should be checked. Hopefully the results will show a P03xx code in history and the issue can be resolved.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I discussed my concerns with the Commercial Truck manager at the local Chevy dealer. He says if there is any hiccup in truck performance you will see the check engine light come on. He recommended running high octane gas on the next trip and loading the trailer different. He said the 1500, which has similar power to the 2500, is much lighter but does not have the HD components. You might say the 2500 is more industrial strength and that engine/transmission/gear combination will behave much different than the 1500. I may need to have a few more trips to get used to the 2500's behavior but it is the right truck for my application. And I'm still going to stop at my mechanic to make sure there are no codes.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I discussed my concerns with the Commercial Truck manager at the local Chevy dealer. He says if there is any hiccup in truck performance you will see the check engine light come on. He recommended running high octane gas on the next trip and loading the trailer different. He said the 1500, which has similar power to the 2500, is much lighter but does not have the HD components. You might say the 2500 is more industrial strength and that engine/transmission/gear combination will behave much different than the 1500. I may need to have a few more trips to get used to the 2500's behavior but it is the right truck for my application. And I'm still going to stop at my mechanic to make sure there are no codes.
    The commercial truck manager is correct on the HD aspects of your 2500. Next time you tow, you can fill up with a tank of premium fuel and if the issue is gone, you can work back in octane level at each fill up. Keep in mind your 2500HD is regular fuel recommended so if the premium fuel results in the issue being solved, you should take the truck to the dealer. Knock activity is measured but will not be reported with a code unless there is a knock sensor performance issue or an electrical issue with the knock sensors circuit. Where are you buying your fuel?
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I'm not real fussy about where I get fuel, but around home I normally get either BP or GetGo (Giant Eagle). The truck guy asked about knocking and I have not heard any. I know what it sounds like, I hate it, and have not heard it in any of my trucks for as long as I can remember. Are you saying the higher octane might make it knock? By the way, the "truck guy" is the manager's nick name, he is really into the trucks and loves talking about them. They are more than just a job to him and he has done a lot of towing himself. I haven't checked the codes yet, plan to do that next week and I will report back.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I'm not real fussy about where I get fuel, but around home I normally get either BP or GetGo (Giant Eagle). The truck guy asked about knocking and I have not heard any. I know what it sounds like, I hate it, and have not heard it in any of my trucks for as long as I can remember. Are you saying the higher octane might make it knock? By the way, the "truck guy" is the manager's nick name, he is really into the trucks and loves talking about them. They are more than just a job to him and he has done a lot of towing himself. I haven't checked the codes yet, plan to do that next week and I will report back.
    Only buy fuels from top tier stations. If the GetGo is not a top tier station, you may want to try towing with none of this fuel present in your tank. There is inaudible knock so try this with a higher octane fuel and work your way back with the Top Tier fuel such as the BP. Higher octane fuel will prevent knock, so this test will tell you if there has been knock present. It will take a little time for the engine to learn back to peak spark advance if knock has been present to so give this a little time. A day or two depending on speed and load.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knock sensors working with ECUs in modern vehicles all but eliminate audible knock. When knock is detected via piezo knock sensors the ECU pulls timing back to quell knocking. This also can result in less power produced. Running a quality top tier premium gas should allow your engine to use more advanced timing and could result in better power. The higher octane fuel should reduce knock. If an engine is designed to run on regular, running premium generally will have no effect except that on your pocket book. Using high octane fuel which has a slower burn rate or flame front without advancing timing, timing curve and/or increasing compression ratio is ineffectual. This is why some engines today have dual power ratings, one on regular gas, the other on premium. I doubt the GM 6.0 is one of them.
    My guess is the additional nearly 1.5k lb curb weight difference would hamper performance between two engines of similar power ratings. 100 lbs will increase 1/4 mile acceleration by about .1 sec or about 1.5 seconds for 1500 lbs, a considerable amount. I would also surmise the tires and wheels on the 2500 have more rotational mass which can have a perceivable effect on performance. Gravity, weight and mass all affect performance.

You've purchased a larger, heavier vehicle with a heavier drive train having more rotational mass requiring more power to spin it and using an engine with similar power ratings. For comparison, add about 2k lbs to your 1500 5.3 towing set up and report back. I suspect there is little wrong with your truck.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast