User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer wiring fault message

We have a 2019 Imagine 2500RL TT bought new in February 2019. It probably has about 5000 miles since we used it on a few trips in Feb-April before heading to Maine in late April. Wouldn't you know it, <100 miles from our destination in Maine, we got into a 4 lane log jam on I-90 (Mass pike) just after the merge with I-84. 4 lanes of stop and go for about 15 miles or so. 10 miles prior while re-fueling at a Pilot, I got a "Trailer wiring fault" from my F-150 Lariat with integrated tow controller. I turn on the lights and checked them all and they were all working fine, marker, tail, brake etc... Never giving the brake controller wire a thought. Long story short, a Mass driver cut me off thinking my lane was going to go much faster than his and I was maintaining a 3-4 car gap for safety. He left me 1/2 car length when he cut in and proceeded to jam on his brakes and come to a full stop. I laid on mine hard and the ABS went off in the truck, but felt like a freight train was pushing me and we tapped him at 3-4mph (no airbag deployment).

The trailer brakes seemed to work ok the rest of the way home (A. I could feel them and B. I watched the controller output which seemed to correspond with the stopping power) so thinking there's something intermittent loose or problematic. We're leaving for a 3.5 week trip to Newfoundland in <2 weeks and this is certainly nerve wracking... enough so that I bought a truck trailer brake test system. I have read that some manufacturers of the brake magnets use really cheap clips to pinch the brake wire and make a connection and they can wiggle out over time and cause this kind of issue.

Has anyone out there experienced anything similar? Not anxious to pull the wheels off and inspect each brake but it may come to that.
    Cheers,

Don
    2019 Imagine 2500RL
    Ford F-150 Lariat 5.4L 3V
    Our rig

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That message on a Ford truck indicates a short on the trailers brake circuit or a faulty break away switch. It's been known to come on if water or too much moisture are present in the 7 way plug connector. I would start trouble shooting the break away switch and the trailer's brake circuit. Also doesnt hurt to check the 7 way plug to ensure its dry.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    That message on a Ford truck indicates a short on the trailers brake circuit or a faulty break away switch. It's been known to come on if water or too much moisture are present in the 7 way plug connector. I would start trouble shooting the break away switch and the trailer's brake circuit. Also doesnt hurt to check the 7 way plug to ensure its dry.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reply. The connector appears to be bone dry, and there is no corrosion. I would think if the break away switch was the cause, the trailer might be locking up rather than failing to activate the brakes at times. Haven't found anything that looks like it could cause a problem yet. We leave for a 3.5 week trip that'll probably be close to 4000 miles on Wednesday... fingers crossed.
    Cheers,

Don
    2019 Imagine 2500RL
    Ford F-150 Lariat 5.4L 3V
    Our rig

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainuh View Post
    We have a 2019 Imagine 2500RL TT bought new in February 2019. It probably has about 5000 miles since we used it on a few trips in Feb-April before heading to Maine in late April. Wouldn't you know it, <100 miles from our destination in Maine, we got into a 4 lane log jam on I-90 (Mass pike) just after the merge with I-84. 4 lanes of stop and go for about 15 miles or so. 10 miles prior while re-fueling at a Pilot, I got a "Trailer wiring fault" from my F-150 Lariat with integrated tow controller. I turn on the lights and checked them all and they were all working fine, marker, tail, brake etc... Never giving the brake controller wire a thought. Long story short, a Mass driver cut me off thinking my lane was going to go much faster than his and I was maintaining a 3-4 car gap for safety. He left me 1/2 car length when he cut in and proceeded to jam on his brakes and come to a full stop. I laid on mine hard and the ABS went off in the truck, but felt like a freight train was pushing me and we tapped him at 3-4mph (no airbag deployment).

The trailer brakes seemed to work ok the rest of the way home (A. I could feel them and B. I watched the controller output which seemed to correspond with the stopping power) so thinking there's something intermittent loose or problematic. We're leaving for a 3.5 week trip to Newfoundland in <2 weeks and this is certainly nerve wracking... enough so that I bought a truck trailer brake test system. I have read that some manufacturers of the brake magnets use really cheap clips to pinch the brake wire and make a connection and they can wiggle out over time and cause this kind of issue.

Has anyone out there experienced anything similar? Not anxious to pull the wheels off and inspect each brake but it may come to that.
    You are likely on the Newfoundland trip now and have solved the issues. We just returned from trip, Carolinas to Maine. On return leg, I got the "trailer wiring fault" warning departing a fuel stop and all of trailer lights were dark. I found a disconnected wire on the right rear trailer brake and hope that 1) that is the issue and 2) the connector is something easily acquired and replaced. Not to hijack the thread but thought it was the best way to get some wisdom of the forum on same topic.

BTW, Maine was great. Didn't particularly enjoy 287 around NYC to get there.
    Oli, Cat and Max
    2018 F150 SCrew 3.5 Ecoboost
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    Seeing our great country....from the ground this time.