User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Motion-activated Exterior LED Light mod

These are solar-powered motion-activated lights that I installed last year.
    You folks that only stay in RV parks probably won't be interested in these because you don't want to blind your neighbors, but we boondock for weeks, sometimes months at a time, in the middle of nowhere. I got these because sometimes when we are out camping in remote places we get spooked by a noise outside and by the time we fumble around, find a flashlight (get your pants on) whatever it was is long gone. More than likely it’s just a coyote or a rabbit, not Bigfoot, or even worse, a person up to no good.

Anything moving within about 50 feet of our camper, at pretty much any angle, will set off the motion sensors in these lights. The lights stay on as long as there is motion and goes back out 30 seconds after no motion is detected. You can use a pin to turn them off in case you’re staying somewhere with neighbors close by. But most of the places we boondock, there’s either no one for miles or at the very least we’re a few hundred yards from the nearest RV, so these suckers are all turned on.

Each of these pods has a small solar panel on top so there’s no batteries to replace and you don’t have to drill holes in your RV to run wires! I installed one next to the door, one over each LP storage door and one just under the rear kitchen window, so there's one on each side of the trailer. They came with screws for mounting them to the walls, but since I didn’t want to put holes in our trailer, I used Gorilla brand double-sided tape. 2 inches of this tape holds up one pound. I used 2 strips about 4” long on each light pod which is overkill but we’ve been full-time for 14 months now and they’ve survived the Pacific Northwest and Arizona and everywhere in between and won't budge! But we still haven’t seen Bigfoot.

https://amzn.to/2WE9VfZ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	20725 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1047.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	20726 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	444.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	20727
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the write up! I've been looking for something since I saw a gentleman with a few lights like this on his class A in Monterey. On each side of the slide outs and some by important storage compartments. I just ordered some.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ed,

I do agree, great mod. For others considering this, please take note of two statements he included: not so useful in RV parks, and you can turn them off using a pin!

We returned to our trailer Memorial weekend to find last year’s obnoxious campers had moved into the 3 sites next to us- 8 feet from our awning, sewage pipe cap off and hanging, rear leaking water constantly, music blaring, 20’ canopy set up along the road, dogs running all over the CG, cars parked right next to our fire ring. Three big 5ers, all circled at the very perimeter of the 3 sites so the most real estate was available for their annual “Corn Hole” tournament. Mind you, this trailer was dropped in front of us by Dad’s minions, as neither the daughter’s nor the SIL’s vehicle was capable of towing it. The last straw for us was one of these lights-they are really, really, blindingly bright!!! When I went around the trailer to ask if they could turn it off, they all jumped up, as if I were a larcenous intruder, and SIL says, “Uhmmm, that’s SOLAR, I can’t turn it off.” (Read-motion activated, and because it was dusk, it was blinking bright, dim, bright, dim, right in our eyes as we sat on our patio.)

Name:	93C60DBF-72C3-4561-B2A3-F81C3EF4740A.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	637.3 KB 
ID:	20728
    Our view:

Name:	6C6F16B6-3FF1-4D7A-AD74-788998DE1AF3.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	20729

The rest of the campers in the area wanted to throttle them. To add to the chaos, on Saturday, another relative arrived hauling a pop-up, wove in and around everyone else to park the 4th trailer on the 3 sites! We locked up the trailer and went home. Most CGs are nice friendly places, except on holidays, when they seem to turn into zoos.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We mostly boondock so I really like the idea and want to get a few for our Reflection. I would think installing them higher would give more light and pick up more motion. No?
    Last edited by dennysbabe; 06-14-2019 at 08:47 AM.
    Dennis & Phyllis Manley
    2018 Reflection 27RL, 2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax 6.6 LTZ

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DMB...you just cost me more money...thanks!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice addition!
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dennysbabe View Post
    We mostly boondock so I really like the idea and want to get a few for our Reflection.

I would think installing them higher would give more light and pick up more motion. No?
    You are correct sir!
    However, when I walk past these lights, they’re not hitting me in the face.
    I also wanted them to be accessible to my wife who is not 6’5”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been thinking about a set of these mounted with 3M Dual Lock so they can be mounted or unmounted at will. This would also facilitate multiple location choices. I like the idea a lot but also like the idea of not having them at times.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link to these. I've been using some battery powered lights that are similar, but they chew up AA's fairly quickly.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of our GDRV friends has 6 or 8 of them. He sets them out on the ground around his camper. Not sure if he does this for mice or intruders but you can't get close to his rig at night without them coming on.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast