Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TPMS Advice and Info is Needed

All of these postings about the WestLake China-bombs that are on my new trailer have me a bit concerned. We are new to RVing, but I'm not new to tire blow-outs. About 30 years ago (yes-30) while driving to work my left front tire blew out as I was rounding a rather sharp bend in the road. I wasn't hurt and didn't get in an accident or anything like that, but it scared me to death! The tire had developed a bubble on the inside that hit the brake caliber (I think) and blew. After further and closer inspection I learned that all four of the tires were defective. All of the tires were under warranty and manufacturer (F********) would NOT honor it. So I learned a valuable lesson....you get what you pay for and sometimes it is cheaper to pay more.

So since then I only buy good tires. So after reading all of the China bomb threads I think that I should consider buying a TPMS and possibly new tires for our Transcend 26RLS.

I've been reading on the web about TPMS systems and they all seem to be the same, but I know that can't be true.

Do you folks have a favorite system?

I read someone say that its more accurate to have the sensors inside the tires rather than on valve stems. Some claimed that the sensors read temperatures more accurate when inside. Is this tree? If so, that would force me to add a TPMS and new tires at the same time.

Any info on TPMS systems would be appreciated.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can not offer info on which system is best but will offer this. A tire blowout and tread separation are 2 completely different things. There seems to be lately a rash of tread separations. Any TPMS will not show or prepare you for this. That said I am not saying you do not need a TPMS , I think they are great to have. I do not have one because there is so much info on these questions that you have posted that it all confuses me into not buying one. I will get one someday , when I figure out which one is the right one to get.
    Checking tire pressures before traveling , and during stops checking tires for excess heat or wear or any bulges will help prevent tire problems. Over loading and excessive speed will have an effect on how a tire performs as well.

Brian

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well just my experience. I have a TPMS see signature line. IMO no TPMS will protect you or warn you about an eminent blowout or thread separation. What they will tell you is tire air temperature and pressure and if there is a slow loss of tire air pressure. It's up to the owner to use this information and visual inspection to determine how they are performing.

I bought one just to monitor the tires on the RV just as I use the factory TPMS on our truck. the TST system i purchased for the RV uses the exterior sensors that screw on to the valve stem and it all seems to work great, they are not the flow through sensors but it is not that big of deal to remove the sensor to add or remove air to the tire. The system also has a repeater that I installed in the front storage compartment to make sure the the display gets updated information. My systems has a dedicated display, not a big deal to me. Now if the RV is going to set for awhile I remove the sensors just to save a little battery life. No air pressure shuts them off.

Now some systems can use your smart phone as a display. That's cool but my phone is a phone. Also on some of the new trucks (Ford I think) that system can be programmed to read tire sensor data on the RV. That would be cool as well.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 06-14-2019 at 01:00 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are picking up our new 2020 Momentum 25G this Wednesday - so I am also looking at TPMS. I am trying to outfit this new trailer with all the bells n whistles that I wish I had on our old trailer. Trying to do research on TPMS is a pain, as all tje units have many + reviews, and - reviews, so which one to buy??? Anyone else out there have one?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachnut View Post
    We are picking up our new 2020 Momentum 25G this Wednesday - so I am also looking at TPMS. I am trying to outfit this new trailer with all the bells n whistles that I wish I had on our old trailer. Trying to do research on TPMS is a pain, as all tje units have many + reviews, and - reviews, so which one to buy??? Anyone else out there have one?
    I've been using TST ( in the blue box, 507, I believe ) for about 6 mos. takes a couple of minutes to pick up signal but,
    have had no issues with it. Whatever you get, it does give you some peace of mind. I also got a handheld IR thermometer
    to check bearing temps. Good luck.
    2019 Imagine 2600rb
    2016 F-150 3.5L EB, max tow pkg
    4x4 8ft. bed

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking at one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G2H79Q3...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I know it is made in China, but isent everything out there made in China? Some reviews say the above unit is working fine on 32' 5th wheels. Even if it did not work consistently, I am thinking I could buy a TPMS signal booster, mount it at the battery box, and still be out less than 1/2 price of the "main line" $300 TPMS... I have written the manufacturer and asked if it will work well on a trailer, and if they have a signal booster, or if ones on Amazon will work with theirs... I will update if I hear back from them...
    Last edited by Beachnut; 07-04-2019 at 12:12 PM. Reason: more info

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just added a TireMinder A1A TPMS to our 303. It will be additional information regarding the tires as we travel. If there's a leak, we will get an alarm. However, I always check the tries before we leave on a trip and check them at rest stops. Also travel with the tires at full 80 lbs. pressure.
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the Tireminder too in our 307MKS. Fill tires to 80 psi and drive about 65 mph. Let'em all pass us! Surprising how hot the tires get but no issues yet. Set up according to instructions and would get high pressure alarms so I called Tireminder. Just raised the target psi by 5 lbs and problem solved. Like an earlier post said, no tire monitor is going to warn of an impending blowout, but if you get a slow leak which may well be the precursor to a catastrophic failure the tire monitor will save you. Have about 3000 miles on our Westlakes but plan to change out soon.
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used a TST system for about 7 years. I like it because it reads the pressures and temps without having to first drive a few miles. I don't have much experience with other systems so maybe they all do this. But the system I had prior to the TST didn't do that; hence my change to TST.

A few suggestions....
    > replace the batteries every year (regardless of what the manufacturer (or others) say;
    > if you get the TST, don't bother with the color display; it is hard to read in the sun;
    > get a system that does not required driving a few miles before the sensors report the PSI & temp.

There is a manufacturer that makes a system that displays all the tires at the same time on their tablet; I don't recall the manufacturer, but some folks reported that it doesn't always connect to the sensors.

Happy shopping.....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been using TireTraker for about 2 years now and it works great. Installed booster under TT battery box lid and have push button switch to cut on and off. Has lifetime warranty. Progressive Industry is parent company and use their surge protector also with lifetime warranty.

Wouldn't leave home without TPMS installed; I've seen damage a blown tire can cause to camper and want to avoid this if possible.

https://www.amazon.com/TireTraker-TT...s%2C157&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...s%2C149&sr=8-1
    Last edited by Buckskin; 07-15-2019 at 02:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast