User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How to wire a fan in bedroom vent for Imagine 2500RL

Please, if you can help me... I want to put a fan in the ceiling vent in the bedroom with a switch at the vent, (one white wire and one black wire). Installing the fan and switch is easy since it is all drilled and precut for it. It is which of the existing wires found in the ceiling are best to use that I have no answer for.
    The two white wires and one brown wire that operate the two led bedroom ceiling lights run right by the vent opening and are easily accessible but then the fan would only work when the ceiling lights are switched on. (The switch is located on the bedroom wall next to the doorway. The brown wire runs to the switch.)
    I tried, unsuccessfully, to fish a wire up the wall from the bedroom switch or I would install a second switch here and jump the power off the light switch and run a switch leg to the fan.
    I believe I could fish a wire over the short distance to the wires above the passenger's led ceiling light but which should I use? From another post I learned that the blue wire goes to the awning light but again it would only run when the awning lights are on. Does anyone know what the blue stripe/white (they are joined) is for? Thanks!

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW... I added a fan in my bedroom of my Momentum and found it much easier to fish a wire from the bathroom vent power than trying to make wires already in the area work. Don't know if the Imagine is the same type attic but maybe something to consider.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim is right, there is a bunch of access in the attic to fish wires. In my 2600RB I ran wires from the kitchen fan to the bedroom.

Here's a link with explanation and photos. It really is easy... https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...Fan-w-Pictures
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bathroom vent is similar to the wiring available in the bedroom, a switch leg and two white ground wires. The difference is the switch leg is dedicated to the bathroom fan. The power for it is at the wall switch (which is on the backside of the bedroom wall switch).
    I also pulled the cover off the electric panel and found the blue stripe wire connected to the awning light (15 amp fuse). It's location in the bedroom is at the passengers led light and that opening is small and there is no slack in the blue stripe/white wire to pull it down to make the connection.
    Today I ordered an inspection camera and fish tape so I can try my talents at pulling wire up the wall and over to the vent (for running a switch leg from the wall switch to the vent fan). I was able to purchase a double switch that matches the single switch at the doorway. I'll jump the power off the light switch to the fan switch if I am successful at pulling a wire for the switch leg.

Thanks for your suggestion. Much appreciated.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll check out the wiring on the kitchen fan and let you know. That could be different because there is not a wall switch for that so there has to be power at the fan...

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More info but still not yet resolved...

Well, the camera arrived and for $30 is it amazing. (See photo) I was able to look inside the wall cavity and see where the bundle of wires comes in from the ceiling. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	20800
    I am afraid there is so little space in the ceiling at that point that I might not be able to fish the wire out once it clears the opening without hooking into the other wires present. Camera doesn't show much in the ceiling because it is buried in insulation.

I checked the wiring at the kitchen fan and there is power there and I would be fishing more toward the center of the ceiling where there is the most clearance. The fish rods arrive tomorrow so we will see if I can pull wires in from the kitchen past the bathroom and into the bedroom. Update to follow.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled the wire through from the kitchen vent opening to the bathroom vent opening and then finally to the bedroom vent opening. It wasn't what I would call a piece of cake but after reaching my arm in as far as I could to guide the fish rods I was able to accomplish the task. After dark now so tomorrow I will wire it up. Hopefully no issues there. White to white and yellow power to black. Thank you for your both for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad it worked out.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bedroom Fan install complete!

It all worked when wire up. Thanks for everyones help.
    Just in case anyone wants to do the same, I took the fan, bracket and switch off a similar model found on eBay for $34.95
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vent.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	20859Ventline 14" RV Roof vent 12 volt FAN w/ SMOKE lid V2094SP-34 w/ PUTTY & SCREWS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2019 2500RL has a fan in the bath vent. Is that new or are you adding a different fan?
    2018 F150 Eco 4x4 XLT CC Max Tow Package
    Michelin Defender tires
    2019 GD Imagine 2500RL WDH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast