User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rebecca, a hearty thanks for keeping us up to date on your progress and success!
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added a fan to the vent in the bedroom. There was no fan there prior.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know the wattage or amperage values of the original fans and the gauge of the wire with which they are wired?
    David & Catherine
    2023 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost w/Max Tow, Equalizer 4-Point Hitch
    2022 Imagine 2500RL

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NC-DDD View Post
    Does anyone know the wattage or amperage values of the original fans and the gauge of the wire with which they are wired?
    Hi David,

Grand Design wires most circuits with 14 ga "lamp cord". Two wires together in various colours. The white side is usually the ground and the side with the colour stripe is the 12V side. All these circuits are fused with 10A fuses meaning that the wire is actually of higher capacity than the fuse. I would expect a vent fan to draw maybe 6-8 amps on startup and then run at 3-4 amps. The wiring pigtail to the fan motor is much smaller (maybe 18 ga?) than the supply wires.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi David,

Grand Design wires most circuits with 14 ga "lamp cord". Two wires together in various colours. The white side is usually the ground and the side with the colour stripe is the 12V side. All these circuits are fused with 10A fuses meaning that the wire is actually of higher capacity than the fuse. I would expect a vent fan to draw maybe 6-8 amps on startup and then run at 3-4 amps. The wiring pigtail to the fan motor is much smaller (maybe 18 ga?) than the supply wires.

Rob
    Thanks, Rob!
    David & Catherine
    2022 Imagine 2500RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a follow up, I can confirm that the gauge wire in our 2500RL fan circuits is #14 AWG, stranded. For the kitchen fan, the positive wire is yellow and the negative wire white. For the bathroom fan, the positive wire is brown and the negative wire white. The wire from each fan control board is #18 AWG, stranded. The bathroom and kitchen are on different circuits, each fused with a 15 amp fuse. The only items listed in the control panel that share those circuits are the lights in each room, respectively. The factory connections are made with crimp cap connectors.

When pulling wire from the kitchen to the bedroom, the ceiling braces that run perpendicular to the axis of the coach need to be negotiated. When the metal fish-tape I used encountered an obstacle, I used a 2' long piece of yardstick to slide along the bottom of the tape to lift the end over the barrier. With my wife's help, removing the vent and fan baffles and running wire the took the two of us about an hour.

Allow time for removing the lap sealant surrounding the factory vent. It took us about an hour, but we were working carefully. There are screws that hold the vent to the roof that will need to be uncovered enough to be removed. Under the edge of the vent, a butyl tape sealant adheres the vent to the roof membrane. This also took care to remove, about thirty minutes for us.

The installation process went much faster. Installing the bedroom fan, sealing the roof with lap sealant, making electrical connections, and reinstalling baffles took about hour.

Hope this helps someone! The fan makes a huge difference. We feel it was a morning well spent...
    Last edited by NC-DDD; 08-27-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    David & Catherine
    2022 Imagine 2500RL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NC-DDD View Post
    As a follow up, I can confirm that the gauge wire in our 2500RL fan circuits is #14 AWG, stranded. For the kitchen fan, the positive wire is yellow and the negative wire white. For the bathroom fan, the positive wire is brown and the negative wire white. The wire from each fan control board is #18 AWG, stranded. The bathroom and kitchen are on different circuits, each fused with a 15 amp fuse. The only items listed in the control panel that share those circuits are the lights in each room, respectively. The factory connections are made with crimp cap connectors. When pulling wire from the kitchen to the bedroom, the ceiling braces that run perpendicular to the axis of the coach need to be negotiated. When the metal fish-tape I used encountered an obstacle, I used a 2' long piece of yardstick to slide along the bottom of the tape to lift the end over the barrier. With my wife's help, removing the vent and fan baffles and running wire the took the two of us about an hour.
    Curious as to why you pulled power from the kitchen fan and not the bathroom fan?
    There's brown and white wires routed past the left forward corner of the vent, haven't checked voltage but I'm guessing 12v. MaxxFans are 12v.

I just removed our bedroom vent, the RTV sealant wasn't too bad to remove but it was so unevenly and poorly applied that I doubt if'd be long before it leaked. Less than 25% of the metal vent frame even touched the black RTV sealant. Interesting that if we used RTV on the roof, it would void the warranty.

One comment about warranties - if you purchased a separate extended warranty, read it thoroughly. The one we bought with the previous trailer, a 2020 Nash 22H, contained a statement that ANY modification made to the trailer would void the entire extended warranty. I had already made several mods, so immediately canceled it. The refund was credited to our loan balance.
    Mark and Judy
    USN/USAF family (parents and kids)
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbergthold View Post
    Curious as to why you pulled power from the kitchen fan and not the bathroom fan?
    There's brown and white wires routed past the left forward corner of the vent, haven't checked voltage but I'm guessing 12v. MaxxFans are 12v.
    It seemed easier to run from the hot side of the kitchen fan than try to fish down the bathroom wall to the hot side of the wall mounted fan switch in the bathroom.
    David & Catherine
    2022 Imagine 2500RL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12