Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Westlake Tires

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    I'll be the fly in the ointment on this one... I don't see how a TPMS system could alert you to an imminent blow-out. A blow-out is typically a very rapid destruction of the tire, without advanced warning. Having said that, the TPMS I have will alarm if there rapid loss of pressure to at least let me know there has been a blow-out. I might not otherwise realize I had a blow-out. On my old TT I did have a blowout and never heard or felt anything letting me know. A fellow highway cruiser alerted me to the fact I was running on the rim (there was enough rubber left on the bead that the metal rim never touched the road). Had I had a TPMS at the time, I would have at least known that tire had no pressure, alerting me to a problem.

A TPMS will alert you to a gradual loss of pressure, letting you know the tire is going flat (puncture due to road hazard, etc.) so you can take appropriate action hopefully before the tire self destructs. It will also warn you of a tire whose temperature is rising abnormally, again so you can take appropriate action.

Just checking pressures and condition prior to a trip, while very important, ignores the potential issues one may encounter while motoring down the highway. Just like I check my oil and coolant before departing, I still monitor my gauges while under way, I monitor my tire situation as best I can using the information provided be my TPMS. YMMV.

John
    And those are the reasons that makes me think about getting a TPMS system. Just hate the thought that every time you look there is something else that is a must have. Where do you draw the line.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I got tired of the $5 tire gauge and it's too hot here to drop to knees for 6 tires. I'm lazy and all I have to do is turn on the TPMS monitor and in 10 min all 6 tire pressures are displayed. It's a lot more money but I do like the convenience.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgrol60 View Post
    I've had two blowouts while using TPMS. They do not alert to a blowout only high temp or low pressure. TPMS didn't even alarm after tires blew out. I still use TPMS (different brand) but can't rely on them for crappy tire blowouts.
    “Ditto” TPMS
    I had a blowout with only 1400 miles on brand new Westlakes and my TPMS system didn’t alert and still showed 68 psi. I took it apart and the battery holder separated from the circuit board. I don’t know if blowout caused the separation or faulty sensor prior to blowout.
    Last edited by Coheeba; 06-25-2019 at 04:06 PM.
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    2021 Reflection 337RLS / EMS HW50C
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ran Mission "E" tires on our 2008 Keystone Copper Canyon for 7 years before changing to the new Carlisle "E" tires for another 4 years. We never had a problem - but I checked the pressure constantly for those 7 years (and didn't have any TPMS system help). Mission Tires were consistently called "China Bombs" on the forums I belonged to. Now, I'm hearing all the complaints (real and imagined) with Westlakes. I have "E" rated 235/16 R80 Westlake tires on my Reflection 303 and will continue to check the pressure and look for signs of wear, just as I did with the Missions. I did add a TPMS system to help me monitor them, but I also check the pressure before we head out with the trailer and also check the lug nuts to make sure that they are tight to the specified ft. lbs. I also keep my fingers crossed that they will be okay, but I think a lot of the problem is "luck of the draw". After a few years, I will replace the Westlakes with something else; until then I will remain vigilant.
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the brand of tire does matter. I bought a TPMS, watched my pressures/temps constantly, and still blew out a Westlake with less than 20,000 miles on my 303RLS. The tire was 4 years old and still had great tread. $2700 damage later I learned my lesson about Westlakes. I was near Minneapolis so I stopped in at a Discount Tire store. The owner said he sold Westlakes, but they were "the cheapest tire he carries". Aggravates me that Grand Design tries to make an extra couple hundred bucks in profit instead of putting some decent tires on a really good trailer.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfingerlakes View Post
    We ran Mission "E" tires on our 2008 Keystone Copper Canyon for 7 years before changing to the new Carlisle "E" tires for another 4 years. We never had a problem - but I checked the pressure constantly for those 7 years (and didn't have any TPMS system help). Mission Tires were consistently called "China Bombs" on the forums I belonged to. Now, I'm hearing all the complaints (real and imagined) with Westlakes. I have "E" rated 235/16 R80 Westlake tires on my Reflection 303 and will continue to check the pressure and look for signs of wear, just as I did with the Missions. I did add a TPMS system to help me monitor them, but I also check the pressure before we head out with the trailer and also check the lug nuts to make sure that they are tight to the specified ft. lbs. I also keep my fingers crossed that they will be okay, but I think a lot of the problem is "luck of the draw". After a few years, I will replace the Westlakes with something else; until then I will remain vigilant.
    Thing is there is a long history of E rated Westlake tire failures on 5ers on this thread so if I had one, I would be swapping them out. I bailed with the D rated tires on my Imagine and probably did not need to do that but I am confident in the choice I made with the replacement Goodyear Endurance tires.
    And TPMS is a must. My TPMS will alert me of a rapid deflation, a slow leak or high temps. I just power up the hand held unit and read the pressures to determine if I need to air up before leaving the driveway.
    Otherwise, without a TPMS, there are the thousands of dollars of damage from a tire thrashing the side of the RV apart.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 06-30-2019 at 04:06 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fsgarrett View Post
    I think the brand of tire does matter. I bought a TPMS, watched my pressures/temps constantly, and still blew out a Westlake with less than 20,000 miles on my 303RLS. The tire was 4 years old and still had great tread. $2700 damage later I learned my lesson about Westlakes. I was near Minneapolis so I stopped in at a Discount Tire store. The owner said he sold Westlakes, but they were "the cheapest tire he carries". Aggravates me that Grand Design tries to make an extra couple hundred bucks in profit instead of putting some decent tires on a really good trailer.
    My son's Torque TH came with Sailun tires from dealer. Westlakes may be ok but the tire's load rating for my 388 was not high enough for me to be comfortable with them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davematthewsband View Post
    I’ll stick with using my $5 tire gauge each time i head out.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
    ^^^^ this ^^^^^
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    I'll be the fly in the ointment on this one... I don't see how a TPMS system could alert you to an imminent blow-out. A blow-out is typically a very rapid destruction of the tire, without advanced warning. Having said that, the TPMS I have will alarm if there rapid loss of pressure to at least let me know there has been a blow-out. I might not otherwise realize I had a blow-out. On my old TT I did have a blowout and never heard or felt anything letting me know. A fellow highway cruiser alerted me to the fact I was running on the rim (there was enough rubber left on the bead that the metal rim never touched the road). Had I had a TPMS at the time, I would have at least known that tire had no pressure, alerting me to a problem.

A TPMS will alert you to a gradual loss of pressure, letting you know the tire is going flat (puncture due to road hazard, etc.) so you can take appropriate action hopefully before the tire self destructs. It will also warn you of a tire whose temperature is rising abnormally, again so you can take appropriate action.

Just checking pressures and condition prior to a trip, while very important, ignores the potential issues one may encounter while motoring down the highway. Just like I check my oil and coolant before departing, I still monitor my gauges while under way, I monitor my tire situation as best I can using the information provided be my TPMS. YMMV.

John
    Regardless of branch of service, I think preventative maintenance is something that sticks with anyone who has served. Oil, coolant, Tire pressure, walk around, etc.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I’ll stick with using my $5 tire gauge each time I head out.
    I've had two occasions where the TPMS told me about something that wasn't there when I headed out. One was a leaking valve stem (not properly installed when I bought new tires) and one was a screw picked up in the tread. Saving those two tires and avoiding the body damage that losing them might have caused . . . makes the TPMS worth it, to me.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast