Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Westlake Tires

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    We've got about 3000 miles in the two years on our Westlake's with no issues to date. I am religious about checking air pressure before we roll anywhere. So far no issues. I will likely change mine out when the time comes for new tires but until then I'll keep using them.
    What psi are you using? I am still on my original Westlakes on my 2015 303RLS. Thanks.
    David and Cindy
    2015 Reflection 303RLS #603
    1995 Ford F250 7.3
    Youngstown, Ohio

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been checking out the brochure for the new Grand Design 5th wheel Solitude trailers and now they state using G load range tires as standard equipment. I'm glad they realized the need for a heavier rated tire.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danderson220 View Post
    What psi are you using? I am still on my original Westlakes on my 2015 303RLS. Thanks.
    80 psi per manufacture. When checking air I will not add unless a tire is below 76 psi, but I want all 4 tire the same.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We now have just over 5K on the Westlakes supplied with our 5th wheel and so far no issues and have done the job so far. Prior to leaving for our current location when checking air pressure, I looked them over and found no issues with them (knocking on wood). While perhaps not the best tire on the market, they are far from the worse. Keep in mind a lot of what is written on the internet can be misleading or without merit and you will typically find more negative threads on any given product than positive, particularly the case with tires. Often the moniker "China Bomb" is applied to tires from China which is in some cases false and misleading. While there are indeed Chinese making poor tires, these are Chines companies that do not have to manufacture tires to US and European standards and should be avoided. But there are tires coming out of China from US or European companies and have to be manufactured to US and European standards. Unless your tires are showing any signs of failing, I would keep using them until they show signs of wear or reach 5-years of age (look for date of manufacture on the tire which will be older than the manufacture date of your rig), then replace them. This is what I plan to do unless they begin to show signs of premature failure.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    We now have just over 5K on the Westlakes supplied with our 5th wheel and so far no issues and have done the job so far. Prior to leaving for our current location when checking air pressure, I looked them over and found no issues with them (knocking on wood). While perhaps not the best tire on the market, they are far from the worse. Keep in mind a lot of what is written on the internet can be misleading or without merit and you will typically find more negative threads on any given product than positive, particularly the case with tires. Often the moniker "China Bomb" is applied to tires from China which is in some cases false and misleading. While there are indeed Chinese making poor tires, these are Chines companies that do not have to manufacture tires to US and European standards and should be avoided. But there are tires coming out of China from US or European companies and have to be manufactured to US and European standards. Unless your tires are showing any signs of failing, I would keep using them until they show signs of wear or reach 5-years of age (look for date of manufacture on the tire which will be older than the manufacture date of your rig), then replace them. This is what I plan to do unless they begin to show signs of premature failure.
    Based on your rig I bet you have G rated. Most problems are E rated. Sidewalls on the E are too soft.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the E rated tires.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our '18 377 MBS came with the G rated 14 ply Westlakes. No problems after close to 4K miles. Our previous camper was a '15 371 Fuzion toyhauler that came with the Sailun 637 14 ply G rated tires. Saw they were made in China and thought they were junk I was wrong...no problems in the 3-1/2 yrs we had the camper.
    Last edited by Cajun Couple; 09-03-2019 at 04:40 PM.
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After having Sailun tires on our last couple of rigs, and seeing the difference between Westlakes and Carlisle, I will not drive a rig off the lot unless the dealer puts on Sailun.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say after doing just 400 or so miles on my new endurance tires I’m sold. The “seat of the pants” feel is night and day different from the westlakes. Trailer sway/bounce/and poor tracking is gone. Just for those facts alone it was with the money. Do yourself a favor and feel the sidewalls when they aren’t mounted...world
    Of difference.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Westlake tires came on my RSTS297. With less than 10,000 miles (18 months)one tire had a belt separation. Another of the four was out of round.
    I got lucky and my mechanic found it while repacking the wheel bearings so I avoided a blowout.
    I was very meticulous about checking air pressure and monitoring the hubs for heat.

My advice is if you plan to travel long distances get rid of those cheap Westlake" may pops" before you leave town.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast