User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Westlake Tires

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westlake Tires

Hi my husband and I are pretty new to the RV world and Grand Design.I have been following this forum for awhile now and have received some really good tips and tricks.
    Lately I have been hearing a lot of bad things about the Westlake tires we have on ours and would like to change them out as they make me very nervous when on the road . We have heard that Goodyear Endurance is the tire to get but wanted some input from others.
    We have the Imagine 2250RK our TV is 2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with airbags and equalizer tow package. Do we want a Certain Goodyear or just worry about the size someone said something about an E sorry I know nothing about trailer tires, they also said I should have a high ply like 20 ply any input would be a big help to ease my mind a bit more I have to get them before our next trip Sorry this is so long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty Hemi 6.4 4x4
    2019 GD Imagine 2250RK
    Companions: VinDiesel & Luna

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of threads on this forum you could spend hours reading. The west lake is a china made tire. It has some issues with longevity. If you have the funds a Goodyear Endurance is a great replacement. I think you would want the 225-75-15 e rated 10 ply tire which inflates to 80 psi for maximum load.
    2019 Imagine 2600 RB
    2016 Ford F350 CCLB SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graybuck View Post
    There are a lot of threads on this forum you could spend hours reading. The west lake is a china made tire. It has some issues with longevity. If you have the funds a Goodyear Endurance is a great replacement. I think you would want the 225-75-15 e rated 10 ply tire which inflates to 80 psi for maximum load.
    Thank you for adding the size in there. For my comfort I can afford the goodyear [emoji15]

2019 GD Imagine 2250RK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got about 3000 miles in the two years on our Westlake's with no issues to date. I am religious about checking air pressure before we roll anywhere. So far no issues. I will likely change mine out when the time comes for new tires but until then I'll keep using them.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had about 8000 miles or so (if I recall right) on our E rated Westlakes on our 2014 303. The tread looked good but we discovered a split a few years ago during a tire inspection.
    Luckily we found it before the tire either peeled or blew out. If you or anyone else keeps the westlakes look at every inch of the tire (including what is touching the pavement) frequently and look carefully for splits in between the treads.

We wen't with Sailuns (14 ply) , but I don't think they make tires small enough for an Imagine
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at the tires with my neighbor and they are 205/75R/15 why are so many saying to get 225 instead of staying with the same size just curious

2019 GD Imagine 2250RK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaWells View Post
    Hi my husband and I are pretty new to the RV world and Grand Design.I have been following this forum for awhile now and have received some really good tips and tricks.
    Lately I have been hearing a lot of bad things about the Westlake tires we have on ours and would like to change them out as they make me very nervous when on the road . We have heard that Goodyear Endurance is the tire to get but wanted some input from others.
    We have the Imagine 2250RK our TV is 2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with airbags and equalizer tow package. Do we want a Certain Goodyear or just worry about the size someone said something about an E sorry I know nothing about trailer tires, they also said I should have a high ply like 20 ply any input would be a big help to ease my mind a bit more I have to get them before our next trip Sorry this is so long

You can pick one of two choices.
    1) Buy the Goodyear endurance tire in the same size that is listed on the yellow tag on the side of your RV and inflate them to the pressure listed on the tag. For a 7000 GVWR rating you most likely have D rated tires

2) If your Westlakes are D rated, you can move up to an E rated tire but you DO NOT want to inflate them to 80 psi since this will result in the pounding of your suspension and items inside the rig. If you are moving up to a higher rated tire you would want to weigh your RV and use the load/inflation tables from Goodyear to properly inflate the higher rated tires.

Since Goodyear does not make an E rated tire in ST205.....you would need to move up to a ST225 75R 15 tire but keep in mind you will lose a half inch of clearance between the tire and the floor since this tire is around one inch larger in diameter than the ST205 tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rv_inflation.pdf  
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 06-15-2019 at 07:08 AM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    You can pick one of two choices.
    1) Buy the Goodyear endurance tire in the same size that is listed on the yellow tag on the side of your RV and inflate them to the pressure listed on the tag. For a 7000 GVWR rating you most likely have D rated tires

2) If your Westlakes are D rated, you can move up to an E rated tire but you DO NOT want to inflate them to 80 psi since this will result in the pounding of your suspension and items inside the rig. If you are moving up to a higher rated tire you would want to weigh your RV and use the load/inflation tables from Goodyear to properly inflate the higher rated tires.

Since Goodyear does not make an E rated tire in ST205.....you would need to move up to a ST225 75R 15 tire but keep in mind you will lose a half inch of clearance between the tire and the floor since this tire is around one inch larger in diameter than the ST205 tire.
    So what is the D or E reading mean is that the size of the tire

2019 GD Imagine 2250RK

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaWells View Post
    So what is the D or E reading mean is that the size of the tire

The "D" and "E" are the load rating. A tire with an "E" rating will carry more weight and have a higher maximum inflation rating than a "D".

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    The "D" and "E" are the load rating. A tire with an "E" rating will carry more weight and have a higher maximum inflation rating than a "D".

Rob
    Thank you I am just learning all this I like to know as much as possible

2019 GD Imagine 2250RK

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast