User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Westlake Tires

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont know why you would be ok with a blow out. Shouldn't happen.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgrol60 View Post
    Dont know why you would be ok with a blow out. Shouldn't happen.
    Concur. Blowouts stink. Nothing worries me like tires (2nd, low clearances).

But... 13K on tires with a horrible reputation and w/out issue over the alcan's frost heaves and back... oh yeah. Had both tires tear off at the sidewalls on the last camper at the 8K point.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding Westlake Tires---Having RV'd for over 35 years without a blowout, our Westlake Tires on our Imagine proved to be the catch up. We have had two different blow outs within four months on tires that were about 10 months old. We check tire pressure as well as total weight we are packing. Each time the blow out destroyed our custom GD wheel, resulting in us having to buy a "regular" wheel and tire on the road as our spare. Not to RV ers-AAA roadside insurance does not cover tire changing on your RV unless you upgrade coverage. It was not all that much extra, but we found out the hard way-$125.00 for road side tire change before updating policy. We have since replaced all four tires with no other issues

To add insult to injury-I wrote to Westlake in Gardena California asking for a little assistance for all of our aggravation and expense. I was actually asking them to cover the cost of one of our custom wheels ($182.00 I think) since we are out of pocket over $1,000.00 between road side assistance, replacement wheels, etc. Westlake never sent a reply. I looked at their corporate background, and they are a tire company based in Hong Kong that I cannot even pronounce. Really not the type of product or company that should be associated with a fine company like Grand Design. If we were ever to buy a new GD rig,my first stop would be at the tire shop getting safe & good tires

Bogey Boy Nevada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BogeyBoyNevada View Post
    Regarding Westlake Tires---Having RV'd for over 35 years without a blowout, our Westlake Tires on our Imagine proved to be the catch up. We have had two different blow outs within four months on tires that were about 10 months old. We check tire pressure as well as total weight we are packing. Each time the blow out destroyed our custom GD wheel, resulting in us having to buy a "regular" wheel and tire on the road as our spare. Not to RV ers-AAA roadside insurance does not cover tire changing on your RV unless you upgrade coverage. It was not all that much extra, but we found out the hard way-$125.00 for road side tire change before updating policy. We have since replaced all four tires with no other issues

To add insult to injury-I wrote to Westlake in Gardena California asking for a little assistance for all of our aggravation and expense. I was actually asking them to cover the cost of one of our custom wheels ($182.00 I think) since we are out of pocket over $1,000.00 between road side assistance, replacement wheels, etc. Westlake never sent a reply. I looked at their corporate background, and they are a tire company based in Hong Kong that I cannot even pronounce. Really not the type of product or company that should be associated with a fine company like Grand Design. If we were ever to buy a new GD rig,my first stop would be at the tire shop getting safe & good tires

Bogey Boy Nevada
    Don't keep us in suspense. What did you replace the Hong Kong bombs with?
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789