User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outside Refrigerator possibilities?

Hello all,
    We have a Reflection 29RS with the outdoor entertainment option. So far, after 3 extended trips, we don't use this area, except for storage. The one thing we do use is the refrigerator. It's really handy for storing lunch/snacks to eat while on the road, or putting to go boxes in, so we don't have to get in the trailer, open the slides, ect. The problem is that it is on the 120v system, so it does not run while not on shore power/inverter, and only stays cool for a couple of hours after we unplug the trailer.
    I have considered several options, but before I start remodeling and spending money I don't have, I wanted to see what others who are more experienced and smarter than me (that's most of you!) have done. I have considered running 12v to the refrigerator and using an inverter, but those little refrigerators are energy hogs! I have considered putting a thermostat switch on the thermoelectric cooler I have, or just keeping the cooler in the truck with us, but that seems like a very temporary solution. A 12v portable compressor refrigerator would be a good solution, but man, those puppy's are expensive!
    Looking forward to hearing your ideas!
    Jim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jim and Judy in a Ram 2500 towing a
    2015 Reflection 29RS with modifications

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim

This is a good idea and I have thought of doing something else like that myself. The one problem I see is ventilation. I know that the 120v fridge does make some heat when the door is closed, I try to open mine often and leave open when I can to allow cooling. A fridge that would run constantly and while traveling I think would require some sort of fan for air circulation for outside air. We generally use a small cooler if traveling a long distance, our longest trip has been only about 6 hours, so we do not get into ours while traveling. Also that fridge is so small I have though about removing it and remodeling the area for a little larger one that would hold more than a couple hoagies and a few bottles of water.

Brian

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since our Atwood fridge is unable to maintain temps below 40 degrees when we’re on the road and it’s hot out, we’ve resorted to throwing our perishables into our ice chest with 20 lbs of bag ice. This way we don’t have to open the fridge for drinks.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thornhill View Post
    Hello all,
    We have a Reflection 29RS with the outdoor entertainment option. So far, after 3 extended trips, we don't use this area, except for storage. The one thing we do use is the refrigerator. It's really handy for storing lunch/snacks to eat while on the road, or putting to go boxes in, so we don't have to get in the trailer, open the slides, ect. The problem is that it is on the 120v system, so it does not run while not on shore power/inverter, and only stays cool for a couple of hours after we unplug the trailer.
    I have considered several options, but before I start remodeling and spending money I don't have, I wanted to see what others who are more experienced and smarter than me (that's most of you!) have done. I have considered running 12v to the refrigerator and using an inverter, but those little refrigerators are energy hogs! I have considered putting a thermostat switch on the thermoelectric cooler I have, or just keeping the cooler in the truck with us, but that seems like a very temporary solution. A 12v portable compressor refrigerator would be a good solution, but man, those puppy's are expensive!
    Looking forward to hearing your ideas!
    Jim
    Jim,

I am in the process of modifying my 297RSTS which has the small fridge on the outside for exactly the reasons that you have stated. I just bought a 1000 W invertor and a 15 Amp transfer switch. I plan to put the invertor by the power box, hook it directly to the 12v line and then place the transfer switch in between the box and the 120 line to the fridge receptacle. The transfer switch will automatically use the invertor 120V to run the fridge as soon as shore power is disconnected. The fridge uses less than 300 W so truck alternator should easily keep the batteries topped off while driving. Was going to do that today but raining outside and just don't feel like getting the trailer from storage in the rain. I could even do this when camping is a couple of weeks. It is really straight forward.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Jim,

I am in the process of modifying my 297RSTS which has the small fridge on the outside for exactly the reasons that you have stated. I just bought a 1000 W invertor and a 15 Amp transfer switch. I plan to put the invertor by the power box, hook it directly to the 12v line and then place the transfer switch in between the box and the 120 line to the fridge receptacle. The transfer switch will automatically use the invertor 120V to run the fridge as soon as shore power is disconnected. The fridge uses less than 300 W so truck alternator should easily keep the batteries topped off while driving. Was going to do that today but raining outside and just don't feel like getting the trailer from storage in the rain. I could even do this when camping is a couple of weeks. It is really straight forward.

Rob
    Rob

I am interested in this project. Please post pics and how to's when done.

Brian

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Rob

I am interested in this project. Please post pics and how to's when done.

Brian
    Will do Brian. May be a couple of weeks depending on weather and camping.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're storing stuff for campfire cooking and outdoor eating in that space.

Don't need the extra frig space so a no brainer. (for comparison, we took 2 week trip with 4 adults and only bought milk and eggs a couple of times)
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you folks for your responses. They have started me thinking and doing some research.
    A 2.6 CF refrigerator (which is bigger than what I have now, but would be what I would like to upgrade to when this one goes out) draws 1amp of electricity and may peak at 6 amps when the unit starts (according to one manufacturer). If I were to buy a 500w inverter that can supply 1000W of peak power, mount it in the compartment with the refrigerator with a small cooling fan, and run a 12v line to the fuse box, why wouldn't this work? When on the road, the truck would charge the batteries, when plugged in the converter would do the same. I could put a switch before the inverter, so that when I turn my main refrigerator on before a trip, I would flip the switch for the outside unit as well. Am I missing something or is this an affordable solution?
    Jim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jim and Judy in a Ram 2500 towing a
    2015 Reflection 29RS with modifications

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always used a Coleman thermoelectric cooler. That is until a bear swatted it with a big claw one night. He really enjoyed the bacon and butter, however.

Our NE GA campground has a couple of mama bears come through every night.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thornhill View Post
    Thank you folks for your responses. They have started me thinking and doing some research.
    A 2.6 CF refrigerator (which is bigger than what I have now, but would be what I would like to upgrade to when this one goes out) draws 1amp of electricity and may peak at 6 amps when the unit starts (according to one manufacturer). If I were to buy a 500w inverter that can supply 1000W of peak power, mount it in the compartment with the refrigerator with a small cooling fan, and run a 12v line to the fuse box, why wouldn't this work? When on the road, the truck would charge the batteries, when plugged in the converter would do the same. I could put a switch before the inverter, so that when I turn my main refrigerator on before a trip, I would flip the switch for the outside unit as well. Am I missing something or is this an affordable solution?
    Jim
    I think this would be a good idea. The 2.6 CF fridge will it fit in where the old one is?

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast