User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charcoal Webber kettle grill

How do you transport the Webber charcoal Kettle grill without getting ashes all over everywhere? Was thinking about putting it in a heavy contractor garbage bag.
    Thank You in advance
    Believer

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be my concern. We have a Weber Q2200 that we LOVE. We looked at several charcoal models, but keeping things clean would be much harder.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We clean out the ashes before packing the Weber up . Remove the legs then set it in a tarp like bag we got from Ikea and bungie the bag handles to the top of the grill. It fits into the basement and leaves no mess.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you need all the grid space of a full size kettle? I travel with Smokey Joe Gold, it has side vents for air intake, and a snap on handle that holds the dome securely in place. The silver or the jumbo Joe have bottom vents and require bagging.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Weber charcoal grill and when we are preparing to leave I simply dump the ashes in the fire ring at the camp site. I then close all vents on the grill and load it in the basement storage.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Jumbo Joe

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Friend has the Jumbo Joe, the short legs make it an easy fit into the stowage bins on his Surveyor. He does use a contractor heavy gauge trash can liner with a twist tie to keep the ash fly to a minimum. The locking top keeps it from rattling around when in transit.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I would make sure the ashes are completely cool (funny story I'll get to later), bag them up, and throw them in the trash. Then wipe out the grill. Why carry ashes in the grill? I don't agree with dumping them in the fire ring because that means someone else has to clean up the ashes. We live by the haul it in, haul more out philosophy.

Funny story not RV related. Our Jeep club went camping at a secluded spot on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. For breakfast the next morning, I made my famous CO Dutch Oven biscuits, using briquettes. When it was time to break camp and head out, I dumped the cool ashes in a trash bag and put the trash bag in my Trasharoo. https://www.amazon.com/Trasharoo-Spa...gateway&sr=8-2 About a half an hour down the trail, we hear over the CB "Hey! That yellow Jeep with the roof rack and trasharoo on the spare tire... Your trasharoo is on fire!" I guess those ashes weren't as cool as I thought. Fortunately 1) I wasn't the tailgunner, so there was someone behind me, and 2) just a couple of bottles of water put the fire out. Minimal damage to the trasharoo and none to the Jeep.

John
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 06-17-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most major grill makers have gas grills that have legs that fold up. They're about 18" x 36" in grill size and use LP bottles. These work great as a compromise.

Weber always has a small kettle grill that can be cleaned easily, and it's on short legs. We have one of them, but dealing with starter and charcoal is a hassle. We usually use a GD OEM gas grill on the back bumper we're thinking of replacing for a better quality grill.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understand what you are saying, dealing with briquettes can be a hassle but to me the effort is worth it. I always take my Camp Chef twin burner stove, I like to cook outside if the weather allows it. Starting charcoal is as easy as putting a dozen briquettes into a chimney sitting on a burner for maybe a minute then move the chimney to the Smokey Joe. Within five to 10 minutes you are cooking. I do not like starter and lump is problematic when using a chimney.
    When there are open fire burn bans, we use our Nexgril from Costco, twin burner with 12,000BTU per burner. All stainless but still not as nice as charcoal.
    Both the Camp Chef and the Nexgrill pull gas from the propane feed on the side of the trailer.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.