User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Would short-box vs long-box really impact the MPG in a meaningful way though? The added weight is negligible and the change to aerodynamics is also negligible. I could see how a DRW may be a little lower due to the greater cross-sectional area (albeit, with smooth-ish curves to help some) and greater rolling resistance.
    Are you asking me, author of the post that precedes yours? There's a "Reply With Quote" link at the bottom of each post which will copy what you're replying to into your reply and cause the original poster to be alerted to your question / comment. I've just stumbled on your post now.

I'd guess that the long box vs short box would not have a very large impact on fuel consumption, but I can't report that from experience. As you say, the weight difference is not very significant, but it's there. Does the tailgate being further back cause more fuel-sapping disturbance? I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    I find it curious that Ford has offered the F-450 for so long as a consumer available vehicle and Ram and GM seem content to not put anything up against it in that class.
    It is curious, but if you're implying that the 450 and 350 are the same truck they aren't. Two-level springs that give it a softer ride when not loaded (after nearly two years of 70% driving my 350 NOT loaded I'd sure like that), tighter turning radius, bigger brakes, lower gear ratio, and some heavier-duty components in the drive train all explain why there are a lot of 450s around towing RVs.

It is curious that the other manufacturers don't compete with it, but it's also curious why in decades they haven't knocked off Ford's crown as king of pickups. My 350 is my first-ever pickup. I came to the purchase with no bias whatsoever and drove and priced all of the big three before buying the Ford, as a lot of people do. I dunno why GM and Dodge weren't trying harder for my dollars but I didn't think they were, and their ignoring the 450 market may be another sign of that.
    Last edited by boyscout; 07-02-2019 at 09:02 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Are you asking me, author of the post that precedes yours? There's a "Reply With Quote" link at the bottom of each post which will copy what you're replying to into your reply and cause the original poster to be alerted to your question / comment. I've just stumbled on your post now.

I'd guess that the long box vs short box would not have a very large impact on fuel consumption, but I can't report that from experience. As you say, the weight difference is not very significant, but it's there. Does the tailgate being further back cause more fuel-sapping disturbance? I dunno.

It is curious, but if you're implying that the 450 and 350 are the same truck they aren't. Two-level springs that give it a softer ride when not loaded (after nearly two years of 70% driving my 350 NOT loaded I'd sure like that), tighter turning radius, bigger brakes, lower gear ratio, and some heavier-duty components in the drive train all explain why there are a lot of 450s around towing RVs.

It is curious that the other manufacturers don't compete with it, but it's also curious why in decades they haven't knocked off Ford's crown as king of pickups. My 350 is my first-ever pickup. I came to the purchase with no bias whatsoever and drove and priced all of the big three before buying the Ford, as a lot of people do. I dunno why GM and Dodge weren't trying harder for my dollars but I didn't think they were, and their ignoring the 450 market may be another sign of that.
    It was kind of an open question for anyone to reply to

I completely get that the 450 is not just a updated 350, the frame, suspension, wheels, brakes, front axle are all very different. The main thing I feel like I am "missing out" on with the other lineups is mainly that turn radius. I definitely feel it in my 3500HD, it does NOT turn on a dime haha
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my F450 Ford (my first Ford BTW). It has a 48 gallon fuel tank and the turning ratio is much tighter compared to the F350 (better for positioning the fifth wheel). My toy hauler is pretty heavy but the F450 has the power to easily get it up steep hills. The new RAM seems to be rusting quite "young", reminds me of the 70's. That's why I didn't go with a RAM again.
    Scott & Deb
    2017 Momentum 350M toy hauler fully loaded with full paint job.
    2017 Ford F450 Lariat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased the transcend 29tbs last year and have camped 5 times towing with my f250 super duty 4x4. My question is when towing above 40 mile an hour I get a lot of sway from the trailer do I have enough truck for this size trailer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your loaded axle weights. My guess is you're tail heavy. Even a hundred pounds moved from the back of the rig to the front can make all the difference in the world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12