User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:
    Bad News, dealer is busy of course and was not sure they could get us taken care of this week.
    Good News, Grand Design customer service is great to deal with and they agreed to let me repair it myself and they will reimburse me.

I ordered the brake assembly and new seal for the drum from Etrailer on Monday and received the parts yesterday. Put everything back together last night and the brake locks up with the emergency brake as expected. We leave on Saturday and I am hoping to feel a difference since all 4 brakes function now.

I did pull the grease zerk and the passageway did have grease in it. At some point the zerk was used.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are still not satisfied with your braking go with a disc brake system. Not cheap but better than a wreck with injuries or worse. My dealer replaced my greased brakes with similar components with no better braking. I switched to disc brakes and have had two separate occasions where an emergency braking situation has saved my bacon due to the disc brakes. It is like I'm not pulling an 18,000 pound trailer anymore.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake controller.

Quote Originally Posted by steve.barnett71 View Post
    We have a 2020 Momentum 320G. We have pulled it around 1000 miles. I am not at all happy with the brake performance. I have to have the brake controller in my 2017 F350 set to max to be comfortable.

I have checked the brake adjustment on all 4 wheels and they are adjusted properly. Yesterday I tested each wheel by pulling the emergency brake cable and 3 of the 4 wheels lock up as they should. The right front wheel does not. It has some drag but i can still turn it by hand.

The electrical connections are good.

Anybody have suggestions on the next step? Being a new dexter axle it should not have the dreaded grease issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
    I fought through the brake issue with my Solitude. However my brake seals had failed and filled the brakes and magnets with grease. After replacing the whole set of brakes and magnets I found little improvement in the brakes. Finally I started looking at the brake controller on my 2013 Super Duty. It seemed ok but lacked full output. Changed the controller for $150 and presto I have brakes! Ford has a faulty component in many factory controllers.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.barnett71 View Post
    We have a 2020 Momentum 320G. We have pulled it around 1000 miles. I am not at all happy with the brake performance. I have to have the brake controller in my 2017 F350 set to max to be comfortable.

I have checked the brake adjustment on all 4 wheels and they are adjusted properly. Yesterday I tested each wheel by pulling the emergency brake cable and 3 of the 4 wheels lock up as they should. The right front wheel does not. It has some drag but i can still turn it by hand.

The electrical connections are good.

Anybody have suggestions on the next step? Being a new dexter axle it should not have the dreaded grease issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
    The problem is the wire used in the axles themselves..
    Get a high quality 2 conductor wire that's insulted really well ( I used 14/2 plenum rated fire alarm cable )
    and pull it through the axles and replace the cheap dry rotted lamp cord that the manufacturer used..
    Make all connections by soldering them,, no insulation displacement connectors..

The dry rotted insulation is allowing the current to leak to ground..
    Back to basics,,
    Path of least resistance..
    When tested with a voltmeter you see what you should..
    But when you ask for current it just simply easier for the current to leak through the poor insulation to ground then it is to operate the brakes..

This is fairly quick, easy and simple to do..
    And I'm confident it's the problem..

Teddy

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So glad I looked at this post. I have a 2019 Reflection 337RLS. Same complaint my brakes weren’t stopping the trailer like they should. Had a 3 month wait for an appt. When I finally got the trailer to the dealer I was told probably operator error. Long story short, tech test drive it and you guessed it-the grease seals were bad in three out of four. Now waiting to ensure dexter or GD will honor the warranty and replace them. I’ve had the trailer less than 6 months. If no one honors the warranty I’m out $1100. Any suggestions?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My grease seals were bad too..
    They were fixed under warranty..
    Your rig is a 19..
    Why wouldn't they fix them ??

Teddy

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, this is still an issue with 2019s with Dexter axles and Brakes? Unbelievable.

My 2017 337RLS had greased brakes at delivery. I had insisted they pull and inspected every drum before I gave them my purchase check. Low and behold they were greased.

The dealer replaced all parts that same day before delivery. After several camping trips I was still not happy with braking so I spent $2,000 and had disc brakes installed. AMAZING DIFFERENCE!.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12