User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have known. As Mom always told me, " If it sounds too good.......

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother and sister in-law purchased a 2500RL 2 years ago and just love it. I think to date they had to tighten one loose screw.

We were in the camper market as well. My brother spoke very highly of GD and their Imagine 2500 RL. After looking a bit my wife and I were all in on a 2500 RL, but then it hit us. Most of the windows are on the slide (left side). The more we thought about it the more we didn't like that. We wanted windows on the right side, where you would over look your camp. Also, we use our camper 90% of the time like a cabin on our land in northern Minnesota, the windows on the left side would not have worked out for that situation.
    So, very long story short, we were almost ready to sign papers on a Bullet Premier 2900 RL. It was a nice trailer, huge kitchen area (big plus for me) but there were a number of things I/we didn't like. Ultimately I/we were going to settle on a camper that we kind of liked.
    Enter the 2018 Minneapolis camping/RV show and RV show pricing. We walked into our now Imagine 2970 RL and couldn't be happier. We needed to fix or have fixed about 14 small things. I could have fixed them all myself but hey, I have warranty, they can fix it.
    Our kitchen slide has the Schwintek mechanism. That slide contains the fridge, stove, pantry, tv/entertainment center and some cabinetry. So far so good there, the Schwintek system has been flawless. The other slide, curbside has , , not sure what you call it, the ram system, or rack and pinion system. It too has been flawless. When I asked why that slide had the rack and pinion, it was said that slide was too heavy for the Schwintek system so GD made the change.

As for the fridge being in the slide, we've had it running with the camper in direct sunlight, 95 degrees and humid. Fridge setting was on #3 and stayed at 35 degrees inside. A couple times I had to bump it to #4 just for the afternoon. Our fridge "assembly" came with cooling fans already in the housing or cavity. I hear them come on periodically only if it's really hot out.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for relating your story. It helps. As far as floorplans, I think we have settled on the 2500RL. I cannot consider anything larger due to weight and being my first TT I am a little worried about towing it due to being so big. I have never towed anything that big or heavy. Not even a short distance, much less long.

What I have been looking for is a 2500RL in near new condition. I have found one. The price is under the NADA Low retail, but when I checked with GD virtually none of the warranty is transferable. Basically as a used TT it carries only a 1 year warranty on everything. Although this is a good price for a used 2019 if I am willing to drive a bit I could get a new one for about $2k more. Both of these are on the high side of what we had planned to spend. We can afford it. The worry is we have never done the RV thing. We may not even like it. In the event that is the case I want to try to minimize losses.

This is where wisdom would be appreciated.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding towing. I am confused. Some websites state the max weight I should consider towing with my truck is 7600#. I bought my truck specifically with towing in mind. It has the max tow package. According to Ford in my configuration my max is 11,500#. Which is right?

I am not looking to tow anything near 11,500#. I wanted a safety margin.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    Regarding towing. I am confused. Some websites state the max weight I should consider towing with my truck is 7600#. I bought my truck specifically with towing in mind. It has the max tow package. According to Ford in my configuration my max is 11,500#. Which is right?

I am not looking to tow anything near 11,500#. I wanted a safety margin.
    Towing and weight is a touchy subject so I will give you my opinion. You will get varied responses from "experts" who will attempt to justify why certain ratings of your truck can be exceeded.

Best thing to do is look at the Ford towing guide for your year truck and look at the different specs and weights and match yours to the chart. That gives you max towing capacity. With that said, your truck will most likely run out of payload capacity before you exceed tow capacity. Best thing to do to be safe is not exceed any of your weight ratings. (Payload, axles, GVWR, GVCWR, tow capacity, tire capacity)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Towing and weight is a touchy subject so I will give you my opinion. You will get varied responses from "experts" who will attempt to justify why certain ratings of your truck can be exceeded.

Best thing to do is look at the Ford towing guide for your year truck and look at the different specs and weights and match yours to the chart. That gives you max towing capacity. With that said, your truck will most likely run out of payload capacity before you exceed tow capacity. Best thing to do to be safe is not exceed any of your weight ratings. (Payload, axles, GVWR, GVCWR, tow capacity, tire capacity)

That is where I got my information-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016 F150 Towing Capacity.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	20874

A close up

Name:	2016 F150 Towing Capacity 2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	20875

I have no interest it getting near the maximum. I realize this is still just a half ton truck. I am a newbie and prefer to play it safe, but I cannot find a floorplan to work in a a TT under 22'.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    That is where I got my information-

Name:	2016 F150 Towing Capacity.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	20874

A close up

Name:	2016 F150 Towing Capacity 2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	20875

I have no interest it getting near the maximum. I realize this is still just a half ton truck. I am a newbie and prefer to play it safe, but I cannot find a floorplan to work in a a TT under 22'.
    Not sure where you got the 7600#, but I would follow the Ford towing guide. If the 7600# was from a web site, it might be for a base model truck with out max tow and different specs. Following the Ford towing guide will let you pick your exact configuration and give you the correct number which looks to be what you have already done.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Not sure where you got the 7600#, but I would follow the Ford towing guide. If the 7600# was from a web site, it might be for a base model truck with out max tow and different specs. Following the Ford towing guide will let you pick your exact configuration and give you the correct number which looks to be what you have already done.

I was thinking the same thing. The website was a RV center. It asked for no details about the truck configuration. Looking at this I should be safe pulling a 2500RL.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    IMHO, GDRV has probably the best customer service out there. The trailers they build are no better or worse than others at similar price points. Their construction techniques are average at best. They use the same Lippert components throughout as most others. The Lippert chassis and suspension, whether Lippert or Dexter, are pretty poor. I've had flat springs, bent axles, misaligned spring hangers, prematurely worn tires, greased brakes, worn out bushings on delivery. Cosmetically GDRV does a good job but behind the walls and under the floors utility execution is poor but probably on par with their competition. Wiring and plumbing issues are not uncommon. The slides with tracks on the outside are Schwintek slides and can be problematic. For a bed or closet they are ok. I wouldn't want a 12 or 14 ft heavily loaded Schwintek if I could help it. I have a bed slide and still have issues with it's operation, even after having been to the factory for repair.

We have a refrigerator in a slide, a Norcold 4 door. So far it works adequately but we don't camp in 100 deg temps much.

You may be able to tell I've had significant issues with my GDRV product. The latest was having both sidewalls replaced due to delamination. I consider this to be a relatively rare occurrence. What I didn't expect was having to remedy issues left behind by the repair itself. It seems the company stands behind their product but their work force just doesn't have their heart in it.

This is where customer service comes in. It is what sets GDRV apart. GDRV has taken care of most issues on this rig, it's just been too many issues for me. I'd estimate they have spent 50% of what I paid for this trailer to make it right and they're still mailing me checks. I shudder to think where I'd be if this was a different brand. I am aware that my trailer is an exception just as the perfect trailer is an exception. Most fall somewhere in the middle IMHO. I will say that if you aren't too handy and are looking for a carefree experience..... Let's just say I'd recommend a PDI be done by a hired pro before putting your cash down to help ensure you get a good example of the product.

On the positive side, GDRV has great floorplans. My wife and I were attracted to the overall fit, finish and floorplan.

This, IMHO, is the current state of the RV/TT industry. They can't make them fast enough to satisfy demand. Customer service, while not perfect, is the #1 reason to buy Grand Design.
    Kim,

Nice write up. It seems that if GDRV worked with Lippert and Dexter to build a good quality chassis, and they worked with a company to build an engineered wiring harness, then re-engineered to prevent leaks, they would be more profitable. I really do not think this would be hard to do and would result in a minimal increase in cost.
    My Imagine had flat springs and tire clearance issues that were inadequate even with new springs. Lippert and GDRV has taken care of us with new springs but I honestly believe all of use without 4400 lb axles should have been given an opportunity to have these installed at no cost. Other small issues have been taken care of by GDRV so the customer service is also a large benefit in purchasing an RV from them.

Jim
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 06-20-2019 at 07:53 AM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KISS, keep it stupid simple is a good axiom. Take the Gross Combined Weight Rating of your truck (from Ford’s towing guide for your year and model), subtract the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the truck (from the driver’s side door pillar) and that will give you the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of any potential trailer.

Payload for the truck is always overstated, as is the “payload” or cargo carrying capacity of the trailer. GD provides a detailed weight sheet for each trailer. My hitch weight (without a battery but including propane) was 8% more than specified in the brochures, the Unloaded Vehicle Weight, UVW was understated by at least 5%. Bottom line is a good rule of thumb, IMO, is to assume you can safely handle 80% of the maximums. Size accordingly.

Regarding new vs used, for $2K I’d take the new based on inspection of each. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Skiddy; 06-20-2019 at 07:55 AM.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast