User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running Ethernet Cable

Hey all,

I’ve just purchased a 2020 Momentum 376TH. I work in IT and occasionally from home. I also stream 4K HDR movies from my computer (using Plex) and use Roku Ultra for TV and streaming. At home I have fiber coming into a box outside with the fiber to RJ45 converter inside. I then run cat 6 to a jack on my current RV. We live in the RV full time and will be getting rid of the current RV when we take possession of the Momentum.

My question is, has anyone pulled cat cable through existing raceways, or is it easier to drop though then floor and run underneath then back up? I really want to hardwire rather than use wireless (had trouble streaming 4K wirelessly).

Also, I have a TCL TV now and it’s a Roku TV and will stream 4K using the Plex app as well. Are the TCL TVs that come with the Momentum 4K Or 1080p?

I read the article https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...th-One-Control (great posting) and will incorporate a lot of that. I would like to eventually have the router up front hardwired to the front TV, and a RJ45 plug at the table (for work laptop), and the bedroom for a Roku for TV. When we hit the road full time in 5-6 years we’ll mostly use wireless and satellite and will freelance, but until then it’s internet over AT&T fiber.

Any ideas and suggestions?
    Feeding through the roof isn’t very appealing to me.
    Last edited by tpingry; 06-16-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a complete gigabit Ethernet network inside. I wanted as much hardwired as possible, and I wanted as much 12V powered as possible.

I mounted everything on the wall directly behind the TV in the main living area. It worked out for us.

I was using an Asus router for the core, but after playing around with one we decided to go with a setup from WiFiRanger.com. It's their EliteAC pack. Inside we have their GoAC router, and outside, mounted on the crank-up TV antenna, is the EliteAC. The latter allows us to easily connect to any WiFi in the extended range it provides.

I had to run an outdoor rated Ethernet cable up to the roof to connect them together. I pulled the control panel from the closet by the stairs and was able to get to the area behind the TV. I used a long, flexible GB drill bit to go up from there to the roof. I had an old RadioShack weather-proof cable conduit that I put in the hole, and sealed with the sealant meant for our roofs. It worked pretty well, and if I need to run something else, I can pull the sealant and access the conduit. It was intended for through-wall applications. You MAY Be able to find one if you can find a RadioShack dealer. They tend to have a lot of old stuff and haven't gone under like corporate RadioShack.

The GoAC, mounted inside on the wall, gives us the ability to use a cell-phone or hotspot device that is USB-tethered to the GoAC. It can also have the gigabit Ethernet ports act as WAN interfaces. We have an AT&T Nighthawk (using the SIM from a Mobley on an $22.00/month unlimited plan) tied to one Ethernet port. Another goes to an LB1120 from Netgear (https://www.netgear.com/home/product...ms/LB1120.aspx) using a SIM from an $89/month T-Mobile unlimited plan. Our phones each have 7GB of tethered-data (along with unlimited on the phone itself). This gives us options, which I need when working from home.

We also have a cable-modem and a DSL modem mounted on the wall for when those services are available.

I got a 16-port 12VDC gig switch (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GR9S6FN/). I checked with the mfg. and they said that 11.8-14V should be fine.

This has Ethernet connections to our Roku, Apple TV, 8x8 HDMI Matrix Switch, Sony 4K Blu-Ray player, an older XboX 360, my workstation, and each of the 4 TV's installed in the trailer.

Running most of the Ethernet cables was easy. There was already a hole in the wall behind the TV that ran to the back of the radio/amplifier installed at the factory. From there, you can go down behind the electric fireplace. There is open space there that runs into the area behind the basement walls.

I ran two 6E cables to the connection bay, and put the other end next to the router. I also added a dedicated RG-6QS cable on that same path for when we have cable-based Internet. This same patch allows me to reach the basement-mounted TV.

Getting to the other areas was a bit of a challenge.

I made the mistake of having the dealer pull some cables I supplied to them. The cables originate with the others. They ran one HDMI (I supplied two, but one of the cables "disappeared"), and two 6E Ethernet cables to the garage. They pulled the coroplast going to the back and ran the cables under the trailer, then drilled through the floor and went up behind one of the walls to the ceiling by the garage TV. There really wasn't another route to follow, but knowing that the one cable would vanish and seeing that they forgot to secure many of the trim pieces when they were done had me wishing I would have done it myself.

Having this done gives us an HDMI from the matrix switch straight to that TV, and I mounted an ICC box with two RJ-45 connectors on the wall behind the TV for the Ethernet cables.

Getting to the bedroom was a bit more of a challenge. There isn't a GOOD way to get cables from the basement into the ceiling.

In our 385TH the washer prep is on the curb-side of the closet. The TV is on the same side, as is the chest-of-drawers. Pulling the drawers out, you can see a where they made a "half box". The floor is one side of the box, and the outside wall is another side. This raised area is where they ran the drain pipe and the hot and cold water lines. You can see in the ceiling of the basement where the pipes go up there.

Being VERY careful, it is possible to use a hole saw and drill into the top of the box where the drain and water lines are. It sits behind and under the chest-of-drawers. Do NOT drill into the drain pipe. There isn't a ton of room in that box, so set the pilot bit JUST ahead of the hole saw, and stop frequently.

I found a GB 25' fish tape that is flexible enough to follow the route and come out in the basement where the drain pipe and water lines go up. Don't ask me how, but I hit that twice.

I was able to run the HDMI cable and TWO 6E cables up there - one of them being flat.

I ran the HDMI cable and one of the Ethernet cables behind the chest and up to the top. I had to cut out a segment where the top of the chest meets the wall. That keeps from pinching them. They run alongside the window and up to the TV.

That flat Ethernet cable would later be used to reach the closet where our printer sits so that I could get it off our WiFi. It passes from the bottom of the chest through the wall to the closet, and up to the printer above the washing machine.

I hope that's helpful.

You can find some detail at http://www.rvhome.school/Our-RV.html

I'm working on updating it with the changes I've made. My new position is a bit more flexible about WFH/WR than my last one, but it's only a one-year contract right now.

There is some green-plastic-coated flexible cable that you can get at various hobby/craft stores. I don't know what it is intended for, but when I pull any cables, I also pull one of them. That way I don't have to use a fish tape or anything in the future. I forgot it the first time I pulled the cables to the bedroom, hence having to hit that opening twice.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 06-16-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the great reply! You’re way beyond my network knowledge, but you’ve given me a lot to investigate. I’m sure once I get into setting up the network I’ll have plenty of questions!