Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loading propane bottles with a bad back - looking for suggestions

Has anyone come up with an easy solution for loading your propane bottles with a bad back? DH has begun to have lower lumbar disc issues that the doctor has told him to be careful with so we're trying to figure out some of the loading and unloading issues when we're boondocking alone. Other than the two of us together lifting the full propane bottles into place have any of you had this same problem and come up with a solution? When trees are not in the way we can back up next to the propane compartment but that may not always be possible. Thank you in advance for sharing any solutions you have!

Phyllis
    Dennis & Phyllis Manley
    2018 Reflection 27RL, 2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax 6.6 LTZ

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dennysbabe View Post
    Has anyone come up with an easy solution for loading your propane bottles with a bad back? DH has begun to have lower lumbar disc issues that the doctor has told him to be careful with so we're trying to figure out some of the loading and unloading issues when we're boondocking alone. Other than the two of us together lifting the full propane bottles into place have any of you had this same problem and come up with a solution? When trees are not in the way we can back up next to the propane compartment but that may not always be possible. Thank you in advance for sharing any solutions you have!
    Phyllis
    Phyllis I had never thought about this before but could be something that could be useful to a lot of us down the road. I went to google and did a search for lifts and this one looked like it could be one to look at. Good luck in your search.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phyllis,
    You shouldn’t have to lift those tanks very often, so I’m wondering where the issue is. We literally fill our 30 lb tanks once or twice a year, and we’re full-timing. I’m learning to save my back (both DW and I have serious back and spine problems), so I’ve taken to hiring a kid to do that kind of work. I schedule the kid to come over and knock out the “heavy” chores. He puts them in the truck, the guy who fills them is happy to help out so he takes them out of the truck, fills them, and puts them back into the truck, them I drive home where the kid will unload them and hook them back up. He gets some spending money, and I save my back for another day. Very symbiotic relationship.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Phyllis I had never thought about this before but could be something that could be useful to a lot of us down the road. I went to google and did a search for lifts and this one looked like it could be one to look at. Good luck in your search.
    Thanks that would be great if we already had the lift truck but a combined cost of $950 is a little steep. Someone else suggested the Herc-u-lift propane tank cart for $330 which is not as nice but is something that might work.
    Dennis & Phyllis Manley

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    Phyllis,
    You shouldn’t have to lift those tanks very often, so I’m wondering where the issue is. We literally fill our 30 lb tanks once or twice a year, and we’re full-timing. I’m learning to save my back (both DW and I have serious back and spine problems), so I’ve taken to hiring a kid to do that kind of work. I schedule the kid to come over and knock out the “heavy” chores. He puts them in the truck, the guy who fills them is happy to help out so he takes them out of the truck, fills them, and puts them back into the truck, them I drive home where the kid will unload them and hook them back up. He gets some spending money, and I save my back for another day. Very symbiotic relationship.
    Thanks that is a good idea and when we're at home we've got great neighbors that are willing to help. However, when we're camping we're usually boondocking where there's no one around. That's why we're trying to come up with a plan before we go in a few weeks. We'll be dry camping for 2-3 weeks and might be able to make it on 14 gallons until we get home but it's supposed to get pretty cold at night so we might come close to using up all of our propane on the furnace. Sometimes we dry camp for a month so we'll definitely need a plan by then.
    Dennis & Phyllis Manley

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We looked into this problem when upgrading to a bigger generator that is just a bit too much for me to safely wrestle around by myself. Most of the solutions were as heavy as the item we wanted to lift. We finally settled on the two person team concept and it worked well for us.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dennysbabe View Post

Phyllis
    Hi Phyllis,

A truck hitch mounted hoist could be used to lift/lower the weight of the tank. You would still have to "wiggle" it into or out of the compartment.

There are several versions of these, but you have to remember that you will have to assemble/disassemble this hoist and store it away (probably beside the 5th wheel hitch in the truck bed). The lightest versions of these are sold as "game hoists" and could easily lift the weight of a propane tank, but would require a hook on the end of the cable that would connect to the propane tank handle.

This would require that you be able to get the back of the truck close to one or the other or both of the propane compartments.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hitch Mounted Hoist.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The boy scout in me is wondering if there is a why to attach a block and tackle inside and above the tank in the compartment ? Then all you would need is to attach and pull it up. Might need a rug or something to protect the side of the trailer.
    Just thinking out of the box here.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it be possible to invest in 2 sets of smaller 20 lb tanks? Keep a pair secured in the bed of the truck in addition to the ones on the trailer. Since they're not so tall they would be a lot easier to lift into the compartment and you'd increase overall capacity a bit.

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for all your suggestions! I followed the recommendation to search for "game hoists" and ran across the Viking L E Vator hoist that we think will work for us. We'll add wheels to move it back and forth from the truck to the FW. Hoping it works!

https://www.amazon.com/Viking-Soluti.../dp/B00KTNTS60
    Dennis & Phyllis Manley

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast