User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Virginia Camper

Proper 5th Wheel Hitch

Hello All,

This is my first post and I am new to the group. I currently own a 2010 Flagstaff 831KRSS which weighs in at 8500 lbs loaded. I have never towed a 5th wheel, but have a lot of towing experience...

My wife and I just went to the Hershey show last weekend and we are now going to purchase a 369RL with a delivery in March. As you can see from my signature, I have a F350, 4x4, 6.7, short bed with the 5th wheel prep package. While I was at the show, I looked closely at the B&W OEM Companion 5th wheel hitch. I talked to the factory guy and he says this hitch will work fine with a short bed as long as the pin box is close to the edge of the trailer and the corners are rounded. I took the solitude brochere back to him later on and he said there should be no problems whatsoever. I also spoke with another hitch guy at the show and he also said the B&W would be fine for my short bed.

So safety is important to me. I have no issue getting a slider, but I do NOT want to get one if it is not necessary. Does anyone out there have the same set up as I am talking about? Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

pwrplay
    I was in the same boat as you. I have a 2009 F250 CC Short Box. I went with a Curt Q16 hitch with the slider because I figured its better to have it than not need it then need it an not have it. I have used it once since getting our Reflection about a month ago as I was backing into a really tight spot and wanted to see how the roller worked. I have since been in some tight spots and didn't use the roller and the clearance was fine. I pretty much hit about 90 degrees and the front cap still cleared the truck cab (not by much though) .

I would expect the Solitude has the same front cap styling that would give you the same amount of clearance.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Virginia Camper and congratulations on your new Solitude, you and the wife are going to love the 369RL!

As you can see in my signature I have the same truck except for the year. I went with the Pullrite Superglide hitch so I would never have to worry about the cap of the coach hitting the cab of the truck.

Steve

pwrplay
    It was suggested to me by my selling dealer to go with the Pullright Superglide as well, but after seeing the price (2700 installed) I decided that it was too expensive for something I may never need/use ( I paid 1400 for my Q16 with rollers and custom brackets installed) . When in doubt, I'll step out and pull the lever and roll the truck forward , the slider locks in place by it self so no need to go back out and check it ( you can hear it clank into place when locked).

I'm not saying the Superglide isn't a great hitch, it sure is a marvelous piece of engineering, but allot of todays 5h wheels have front caps designed for 90 degree turns and thus sliders are not as needed as they once were.

One thing I have heard is that the RAM and GM/Chevy pickups with short box are more inclined to need the slider as their short boxes are shorter than the Super Duty's short box and may hit.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only issue you may have is the fact the Solitude is 100" Wide. I know we have members on here pulling them with SB trucks. I would assume no problems with the OEM B&W hitch with arms set to the back position. The B&W for the Ford is a very nice hitch. The biggest problem I see when Jacking a trailer that tight is destroying the wheels, and lugs, not hitting the cab of a truck. Good luck on your selection.
    Steve and Schlonda- Virgie, Kentucky
    2017 Momentum 328M
    Morryde 8K Independent Suspension, Disk Brakes
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    Airlift Wireless Air
    B&W Companion Slider

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard!
    I tow a 369RL with a 13 Ram Megacab short bed. A friend told me once that in all of his miles of towing a fifth wheel, he always had a slider. Didn't have to use it often, but was always glad he did. He told me that having the slider gave his wife the peace of mind that he was looking for. Happy wife, happy life he told me. I bought a B&W companion slider. Love that thing. The B&W hitches are quiet and tight. The slider mechanism works well, and the auto sliders are great too. My biggest issue is that my trailer is 101.5" wide, and there are times that I really need to wrap it around to get it into the spot that I want. For the 96" trailers, these caps allow 90 degrees with many trucks. Grand Design's cap is a 72 degree cap based on my conversations with them last year when we purchased.
    Ct..
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

pwrplay
    Wow I didn't even realize that the Solitudes where 101.5" wide. We never looked at them since we where looking for a bunkhouse floor plan. That would be completely different than the Reflection which is 96" . Those extra 5.5" could be the difference between needing the slider or not.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrplay View Post
    Wow I didn't even realize that the Solitudes where 101.5" wide. We never looked at them since we where looking for a bunkhouse floor plan. That would be completely different than the Reflection which is 96" . Those extra 5.5" could be the difference between needing the slider or not.

Exactly, that is something to consider when buying a fifth wheel.
    Steve and Schlonda- Virgie, Kentucky
    2017 Momentum 328M
    Morryde 8K Independent Suspension, Disk Brakes
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    Airlift Wireless Air
    B&W Companion Slider

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a slider on my F350 short bed. While on my trip this summer, I was blocking traffic on a road while trying to back into a friend's property. I tried to hurry, so I didn't move the slider (which is manual). To make a long story short, there was a little slope, and a tight turn. I "kissed" the back of my F350 and put a minor dent in the cab. Oops... That automatic slider sure would have been nice, and probably cheaper in the long run compared to body work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I owned the Superglide with my short ex Chevy. It worked well but you had to be almost straight on when attaching. That was a pain.
    KZ and Terry Kleinheitz, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Meka and Prissy (Social butterflies in Dachshound bodies)
    2015 379FL Solitude
    2014 Ram 3500, Crew Cab, Laramie, Cummins, Auto, 4X4, Long Bed, DRW, Andersen Hitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast