User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First trip out dry camping and disappointed

We just made our first trip out dry camping in our new Momentum 381M. Everything seemed to work fine but damn, that big girl can kill a battery quick. I even took the battery out and to Autozone to be tested. I thought I had a bad battery. In the future were going to have to be more conservative with the lighting at night! This was a bike rally so had the outside led stuff lit like the awnings and the step lights. I'm thinking the bit refrigerator with the internal fans might be a juice hog too! Anyone else having this experience??? My old trailer would go 2 days without a charge and still start the generator. 3 or 4 hours is about all I get from this girl and its time to start the generator.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The batteries supplied by the dealers are least cost crap. Your Momentum is a big toy with some parasitic draw (fridge, stereo, CO monitors etc.) and your light usage will certainly require more battery than a single 12V to get you the amp hours (aH) you need. You haven't even mentioned the heater on a cold night.

You are about to start on the Great Battery Journey. There is a metric crap ton of info on lithium vs FLA vs AGM, 12v vs 6v, and a whole bunch of other acronyms on this and other sites but the bottom line is ... you need more battery.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was already thinking a pair of big 6 volts rigged in series. I was considering a 10 amp solar panel to stretch the daylight hours too lol... Might almost run the fridge and wifi hub

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

First trip out dry camping and disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by walkerrt View Post
    I was already thinking a pair of big 6 volts rigged in series. I was considering a 10 amp solar panel to stretch the daylight hours too lol... Might almost run the fridge and wifi hub
    Think bigger.
    You’re going to need at least four 6v batteries giving you a pair of 12v FLA or AGM.
    Or go with a single 12v lithium which will drastically outperform all the above.
    I have 4 lithium 12v batteries and can power my entire trailer no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 06-17-2019 at 09:28 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.