User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No sound from Right interior speaker on FM radio - how to diagnose?

Was trying out the radio this last weekend and the sound was not right. So I got out the remote and the radio instructions and tried to re balance. There is no sound from the right speaker and I cant seem to figure this out.

I was going to pull the speaker first and check for loose wire, and then pull the radio to look for loose wire and make sure the wire run to the speaker is OK. Ant other test or how to?

So I know how to remove the radio (pull plastic cover and 4 screws). So i can check wiring there and even us my meter to see if there is even power to the speaker. What I cant figure out is how to remove the ceiling speaker. I tried pulling on the trim ring but it would not move. afraid to use force as I tend to break things. So how do they come out. Do i need to stick my tung out a certain way while extending my pinky finger?

Last question is has anyone replaced their Furrion radio unit and if so what with?

Thanks for any help Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaker cover does come off. Be gentle.....my speaker wires were not attached.
    Good luck!
    Tom and Sandi
    2017 337RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you find the wires OK at the radio end you can use an ohm meter and check for resistance on the speaker coil right there and not have to pull the speaker. Just unplug the connection at the radio so you're not measuring anything but the speaker.

I have never removed the speakers but I'd guess if there are no screws in the grill cover then the grill just pulls off exposing some screws that hold the speaker in.

Others are likely to chime in and may have more experience than me.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The grilles will come off if you pry gently. Mine had very loose connections, which is probably your problem as well.

I also had one wired backwards (out of phase), but I recommend you check the wires at the radio end as well before making that diagnosis. The one that I initially thought was wired backwards turned out to be ok be cause they wired it backwards at the other end too... Yeah, not making that up. So, the one that looked right on the speaker end was actually the one wired incorrectly... Go figure.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks folks. It will take me a while to get to it right now as I am trying to get hay up. Only problem is tractor died. Teck will be out today. I just hope it is a simple fix, but could be a lift pump or worse the injector pump and rack.

Ill take pictures on what I find with the radio and speaker. I may just replace the speakers while I am at it as I do like good sound - goes well with my selective hearing.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Thanks folks. It will take me a while to get to it right now as I am trying to get hay up. Only problem is tractor died. Teck will be out today. I just hope it is a simple fix, but could be a lift pump or worse the injector pump and rack.

Ill take pictures on what I find with the radio and speaker. I may just replace the speakers while I am at it as I do like good sound - goes well with my selective hearing.
    I replaced mine with some JBLs I got at best buy. They sound way better, but because of their placement, nothing is going to sound amazing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Update
    At the Colorado Grand Design Rally this last weekend the GD folks took a look. There is a break in the wire somewhere. We traced the wiring to the back of the fridge then down and into the underbelly. Whats puzzling is how the speaker wires get up to the sealing. There are no cabinets in the area to run up. Anyone have a clue of how they get up the the sealing. Wiring seems to run from the back of the trailer forward to the speakers.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to be constructive here, but first just have to ask... why couldn't the GD folks tell you where the wires route up to the speakers? Geesh - it's their product!

There - now I feel better.

Maybe this will be more constructive...

First, how did GD decide there was a break in the wiring? Did they make a continuity check from the radio end to the speaker end with not connections made at either end? If not, then further investigation is needed. If so, then which wire was bad? The + side of - side? MAYBE, if the - side, you can cheat and use the - side from a nearby speaker. I never tried this, and don't know how radios are wired internally, but maybe this is an idea.

Second, if you can find a mid-point on the failing wire (like underneath the slide before it goes into the underbelly) you can test the continuity from there back to the radio and out to the speaker. If the break if between the midpoint and radio it might be possible to run a new wire.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    GD determined the break by switching wires around at the back of the stereo, using the known good outputs. All 4 outputs work (interior and exterior) at the back of the unit using the speaker that worked, but they could not get the speaker to work, They removed it and verified the speaker worked using the good side. this narrowed down the problem. GD did not want the guys dropping the belly material which I understood could be a huge can or worms for them.
    If I had been thinking I should have done it for them and let them know it was open.

So someday this week I will try and figure where they ran the wires. The only spot I can guess is up the slide channel where the motor and drive system is. First I am going to remove the rear speaker and see if I can figure where the wiring goes. I also have a vent that is in the same area and hope by pulling the trim ring I can see back to the far wall and the wiring run. Last is to pull the belly in the area of the junction. I can get to the wires in the wrapped bundle under the slide out too. I do have a test meter with the pin head ends for poking through wire insulation.

One last question.
    Replacement wire - I have a big roll of marine grade 10 gauge braided and tinned wire. Its covered in a very flexible and durable sheath. I know it overkill but is it suitable for use? I would do both speakers.

Thanks for any help

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What fun I had today. Pulled both speakers and the extra 3 plus feet of wiring (a good thing in retrospect). Also pulled the radio. It has an excellent diagram on what is what and all wires have a label too. Using my multi meter I checked power and resistance at the back of the unit. Before doing that I checked resistance at the speakers. I first checked the speakers by swapping them and they both work. With the radio on all wires except the left speaker had power and off all showed resistance except the left speaker wiring. What I did find out is the wiring actually runs forward at a diagonal towards the bath/living room wall above the power panel. I pulled the bath trim ring, but could not find the speaker wires, but I think I felt a wire bundle cumming out of the top of the wall (could not see it).

Now to unpack the basement to get behind the wall and find where the wires head up the wall. I remember seeing a bundle when I looked around last time.

However I just had a brain *** here - the dealer did install the solar power monitor in that wall (cut a hole) in the general vicinity of where the wire are heading in the ceiling. I just wonder if he got the wire or put a screw through it. He said he moved something too, to a new location. So before I unpack my carefully packed basement, I am going to pull the monitor and check behind. Maybe I will get lucky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast