User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie, figuring it out in drive. Questions

Hey Y'all, brand new reflection 297 RSTS. Finally got everything we need to set it up. Conducting a dry run at home. Few questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fresh water tank SHOULD be 60 gallons, overflows at 45.6 gallons. (Have a water meter, calibrated and accurate). I understand losing a bit due to overflow tube/venting....but 15 gallons???

Also, anyone else running into issues with dealership punting EVERYTHING to warranty? I.e. clip on screen, light bulb on running lights, even screws. Seems like I need to deal directly with factory. All I need are parts....I can install myself easily.

Also, anyone notice owner's manual is very pretty/nice, but lacks specifics? I.e. locations or processes?

Maybe it's me being picky...just tying to NOT run into major malfunctions on our first trip.

Oh, one last question. I have an adjustable water pressure regulator, currently have it set at 55 psi. Too high for pex or anything else in system?

Thanks again.

Papajahn.

Ps. I have called the factory once (screen issue) they were outstanding!!! This was a MAJOR reason we decided to go with GD. Simple issue, quickly resolved. Shame dealership service isnt the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaJahn View Post
    Hey Y'all, brand new reflection 297 RSTS. Finally got everything we need to set it up. Conducting a dry run at home. Few questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fresh water tank SHOULD be 60 gallons, overflows at 45.6 gallons. (Have a water meter, calibrated and accurate). I understand losing a bit due to overflow tube/venting....but 15 gallons???

Also, anyone else running into issues with dealership punting EVERYTHING to warranty? I.e. clip on screen, light bulb on running lights, even screws. Seems like I need to deal directly with factory. All I need are parts....I can install myself easily.

Also, anyone notice owner's manual is very pretty/nice, but lacks specifics? I.e. locations or processes?

Maybe it's me being picky...just tying to NOT run into major malfunctions on our first trip.

Oh, one last question. I have an adjustable water pressure regulator, currently have it set at 55 psi. Too high for pex or anything else in system?

Thanks again.

Papajahn.

Ps. I have called the factory once (screen issue) they were outstanding!!! This was a MAJOR reason we decided to go with GD. Simple issue, quickly resolved. Shame dealership service isnt the same.
    PJ,

Your experience is pretty spot on with my experience. I have lamented Dealers in here a few times but it seems to be the nature of the industry these days. I do hear some people like their dealer and have success with them, that would be nice but I’ve no personal advice on this one.

I have a pressure regulator too, we run 45-55psi and have had no issues. I’ve only run into a few parka that have even approached the adjusted climb to 55. My opinion, you’re fine with that setting.

Owners manual IS vague. It drives me nuts. I’ve had a couple folks (NOT on this site) day “you should read the manual”...... yeah thanks for the tip, I did read it and I still don’t know. This site has helped me immensely with the technical aspects of my trailer, and truck, and hitch, and everything else.

I installed a sharkbite valve on the end of my fresh water over flow, and set up a flag system with my water panel to remind me to reopen it after traveling. I don’t lose water anymore.... BUT.... I also usually only fill it 1/3 full. It’s been more than a year since I traveled with it full... I wouldn’t drink from it if you paid me, and I bleach it often. I use it mainly to wash hands and flush the toilet. Brushing teeth and drinking is gallon jugged. Ask around.... some people have gotten pretty sick drinking tainted old water.

Picky is good.

Safe travels, -Jim-
    Jim

2017 F-250 6.7L Fx4 Lariat Long Bed Crew Cab “Daisy”
    using Blue Ox Swaypro 1500S towing
    2018 Imagine 2800BH “River”
    ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000
    Champion 3400w Dual-Fuel Inverter Generator

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum! I can comment on a couple things you brought up.

Grand Design counts the water heater (6 gallons in your case) in their fresh water capacity so a 60 gallon capacity would mean a 54 gallon tank. I can't explain why you're only able to get 45 gallons in yours but I've read about similar issues.

There are a lot of lousy dealers out there. If yours isn't helping with warranty issues, contact Grand Design directly.

I also set my water pressure regulator to 55psi. My understanding is Grand Design specs their system quite a bit higher than that but I don't have that number off the top of my head.

As for the Owners Manual, Grand Designs is actually better than most but that's not saying much at all. Most RV manuals cover the very basics for newbies. If you need more help than that - you've come to the right place. Use the search function on this forum and you'll find more information than any manual could hope to cover.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both

Double checked both grey water tanks against sensors and rated capacities. Both are rated for 43 gal, each read "full" on convenience panel at 25 gal. Not TOO big an issue, better to empty at 25 than push the limits.

Again, these issues only arise when boondocking. *wife in my ear just now "I have absolutely NO Intention of EVER boondocking!"

Boy......I'll sure miss her on those trips 🤫

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi PapAJahn,

If you need answers to specific systems or appliance questions, go to their website or the internet. You can generally download them, such as the nautilus panel manual, or the “Dometic ac” manual. As stated, bring questions to the forum. You will get quick answers.

We have the same model as you and are in it about six months a year now. It’s working great for us, with some mods of course.

p.s., the indicator lights for the tanks are often incorrect, just the way it is in most rv’s. Full may mean full, and then may not...
    Last edited by Steve7; 06-18-2019 at 10:23 PM.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed