Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help installing Winegard WiFi Extender

I bought the new Winegard WiFi Extender 2.0. I need to install it on my roof and run inside to catch 12V and then install the switch. I am not that afraid of doing it I just need a little help. I have a Reflection Travel Trailer 285BHTS. It has a master bedroom closet that has a light in it. I was going to run there.

1) I was going to run the 12V off of the light, does that work?
    2) How do I pull the wall material back so I can run behind it and install the switch? SHould I instead drop the small ceiling panel in the closet? How do I do that?
    3) Has anyone done this install that can give me some pointers?

I am trying to get this done before a trip in July 5. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter77 View Post
    1) I was going to run the 12V off of the light, does that work?
    2) How do I pull the wall material back so I can run behind it and install the switch? Should I instead drop the small ceiling panel in the closet? How do I do that?
    3) Has anyone done this install that can give me some pointers?
    I am trying to get this done before a trip in July 5. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Scott
    Hi Scott
    The ceilings and walls are fixed in place I think.
    Usually you have to pull out a light so you can try to find some wires that feed it constant 12V.
    The LED lights usually have tough, stong spring loaded wings that hold them up into the ceiling
    Since the lights are switched On/Off, they usually just have the switched 12V running to them, so you have to find the 12V that is constant.
    You'll want -12V usually the solid white, then +12V usually has the trace color on it.

Getting thru the walls to a switch, probably have to have a nearby switch & see if can fish a wire up to a nearby ceiling light.

Here's one of my lights pulled down so I could find the constant 12V on my LED & Furrion camera power.
    Last edited by gbkims; 06-18-2019 at 07:14 AM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wiring thru the walls, some folks where they have installed Solar wiring from the roof have removed bathroom panels, that's a bit more involved.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post124135
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a word of warning, I wired a couple 12v USB outlets into my bedroom and tied them to the light switch. They work great but when I plug my phone and iPad in they cause the lights to flicker pretty good. I'm not sure how much the Winegard draws, but you might want to keep that in mind. The wiring to the lights was pretty small.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5anks

Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Wiring thru the walls, some folks where they have installed Solar wiring from the roof have removed bathroom panels, that's a bit more involved.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post124135
    That link was helpful. Gave me some ideas.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m checking on it with Winegard.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Scooter77 at least some Grand Design trailers have a "conduit" for running wires from the roof to the basement.

I don't know if yours is one of them, but it might be worth looking around on the roof for a several-inch plate lap-sealed to the roof membrane. Beneath the plate will be a space through which you can drop/push wires into the basement. The ceiling of the basement may have a marking indicating the location of the lower end of this conduit/space.

Once in the basement 12V power is easy to find of course, and maybe you'd be happy putting a switch there to turn your wi-fi extender on/off. If not, it may be easier to go up from the basement to a switch (perhaps using existing wiring to help pull new wiring) than down from the roof to a switch.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch