User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire shop could not get Westlakes off of rims without damaging wheels!

I got a set of Sailun S637 STs for my trailer and took them and the oem wheels with Westlakes installed to a shop to get them swapped. The shop works on commercial trucks and stuff, so no stranger to higher pressure, heavier duty tires and wheels. Apparently they spent hours on it yesterday and could not get the Westlakes off of the Lynx Aluminum rims without damaging the rims. They only took off one tire then stopped because they didn't want to tear up the whole set. I went in this morning to see what is up and talk about options.

They started out with the usual: cheap Chinese tires, low quality, blah blah blah that you would expect to hear from an American mechanics shop. Allegedly the problem is that the (cheap Chinese) rubber is too stiff on the tire bead and they could not work it around the rim - the tire was tougher than the aluminum and the rim suffered as a result. They of course claim that the American made Goodyear G614s don't have this problem.

They are remounting the one tire they removed and I will leave the Westlakes on for the time being - when I go back tonight they will present their solution to compensate me for the rim they damaged. The rim damage is purely aesthetic, nothing structurally compromised, just a bummer. Picture attached.

Has anyone else come across anything remotely resembling this problem? Are these guys just subpar? This was the shop that the local CampingWorld sent me too since their tire stuff was broken or something like that. I know a ton of people use the Sailuns happily, and had to get the Westlakes off in order to install them - I am curious to hear what others experienced.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190618_102151.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	20834
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    ...Are these guys just subpar?
    That would be putting it nicely. I swapped the Westlake tires on both my GDRV 5th wheels with G614's and Sailuns with no problems. I'm no tire expert but it sounds to me like everything they told you was BS. They need to repair/replace the wheel they screwed up. I would then go to another tire shop to have the work done.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

::snort::

Brian is being too polite.

It can be difficult to get tires off rims.

That's part of the business.

My worst one was removing motorcycle tires from a bike that had been sitting in a carport for 15 years.

It mandated cutting the tire tread off, leaving just the sidewalls, so I could get to the wire bead and cut through it.

The rubber of the tire had welded itself to the inside seating area of the rim, necessitating the use of an air grinder with a wire wheel to burnish it off.

No damage to the wheels, which was good because BMW is proud of their wheels.

In other words, these guys either do not know what they are doing or are too lazy to go to the trouble of doing it right for just the standard charge.

It should have been just another day in the life...

Find a better shop.

Clowns like this give mechanics a bad name.
    Last edited by Najataagihe; 06-18-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your signature shows you own a 2019 Solitude, so the Westlakes weren't on the wheels that long. I had to replace one of my Westlakes due to flatspots caused by a brake problem. I personally replaced the tire at work using one of our tire machines without issue. Just an FYI, I work for the local school district as one of the vehicle garage supervisors, and have been in fleet maintenance for over 40 years. I've seen a thing or two over the years. Incompetence runs deep in that tire shop! They owe you a new wheel. Also, here's a nickle's worth of free advice... Stay away from Camping World and anyone they recommend.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tires have very low mileage on then, factory to dealer, dealer to my house. That is it! They are pretty much new, I was going to resell them. I just trust the Sailuns more in the long run hence the switch before even camping in the trailer.

I only had gone to Camping World because the local tire shops in town wouldn't touch customer supplied tires due to "liability" reasons. The shop was doing a bunch of work on commercial trucks so I figured they may not be incompetent. I guess I was too kind in my assumptions. They acted like "special" equipment may be needed. I too had assumed this should be a straightforward and quick job. Despite my commy cheap china tires lol

It looked like they had the right tools and while there I observed them doing other wheels/tires with what looked like the right procedure. Is why I wasn't sure if there is a known trend with the "china" tires being more difficult to work with.

Thanks all! I will collect my tires soon and try again somewhere else....
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, some tire shops aren't very excited about mounting tires bought elsewhere. I doubt if it has anything to do with liability. They just want you to buy the tires from them. I can understand that. I bought my Sailun tires online and then just called the tire shop I normally use (Les Schwab) and asked if they would mount them. They said no problem so that's who I used.

The only time I've ever heard of a legitimate problem mounting tires was with my 2016 Corvette Z06. That car has very wide and very low profile run flat tires and some shops legitimately had trouble mounting the tires. It's well documented online. Some shops had no problem but others struggled. From what I learned, the shop had to have decent equipment and some skill. But, trailer tire sizes are very common. Any half way competent tire shop should have no problem mounting them. Where the tires are made has nothing to do with how difficult they are to mount.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do hear a lot of good things about Les Schwab, they just do not exist where I am on the east coast though

I will try the NTB down the road from the current shop - hope to have better luck there!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this shop is struggling with 15” RV tires, then I’d love to see how they handle tractor trailer tires. Three Stooges comes to mind. Nuck, nuck nuck.....
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I took my Westlakes and wheels to my very trusted tire dealer they too had some issues with getting the Westlakes off. Something to do with stiff beads or something like that. Anyway, they asked for more time to make the change so they wouldn't mar the wheels and asked if could return the next day. The next day when I returned they had made the swap and the wheels were fine. I'm not sure what they did and don't much care. I was glad to get rid of the Westlakes.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya I think if I had asked them to proceed than they would have gone to all hand tools vs using the machines which would take longer, also I would have been waiving any further damage to the wheels as they had notified me it was a possibility at this point. No thanks!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast