User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    I bought one on those Valterra valves for the end of the pipe but I’m wondering how everyone secures it for travel; I’m not sure about relying on only the twist on connection
    We have the Valterra valve on the end of the sewer pipe and have had no issues. I had it on our 2016 Momentum too.

The connection may be higher then the exit, but the tank is higher. It will drain, just not what is in the hose. As long as the hose does not have leaks, there is nothing to worry about. If you wanted to build a ramp for the sewer hose so that it goes up to a point that the rest of it would be downhill, that would help the flow somewhat. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    I bought one on those Valterra valves for the end of the pipe but I’m wondering how everyone secures it for travel; I’m not sure about relying on only the twist on connection
    I used high grade black electric tape to secure it to the pipe. Twist on is pretty loose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one fix for low drain

Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    Same issue with the 310-GK.

I also installed a valve at the outlet for safety reasons, but that just accentuated the too-low drain pipe problem.

Haven't figured out the plumbing fittings required just yet, but I've got a future project to cut the drain closer to the tank-exit to gain some height. If anyone has done this, would love to hear about their project.

What GD produced for the 310-GK sewer drain is just a poorly thought out implementation. Kind of irritating because anyone who's ever dumped their tanks would know the drain height is flawed by just looking at it.
    Hello. I couldn't believe how this is designed. the outlet is low and points straight at the ground. I even had trouble keeping flex hose hooked up. Yes, hose had to run uphill, a problem in more ways than one. So, I did change the outlet piping a bit. I used the 3" abs fittings and pipe with abs cement. I cut back where it left me room to put in a coupling. I kept the original hanger in same location. I put a 90 and street 45 then went to cam lock style connection. I like the cam lock system because it is super easy to connect. I gained a little bit of height, coming out at a very easy grade. It improved the situation, but did not entirely remove the problem. I have modified a couple sewer connections at campsites. It really cant be raised any more because I am into the frame before the offset. Terrible design. And probably the reason I get rid of this otherwise awesome camper.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shellsterq View Post
    Hello. I couldn't believe how this is designed.
    So this season I did get around to cutting the ABS pipe off -- I got as close to the frame as possible, but left enough to push on a Valterra T50 3" Hub x 3" Bay with Cap Valve Assembly using ABS cement. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The end result was better, but sawing the original pipe fittings off was a PITA. Tried to use a hand plumbing saw. No room for a stroke. Ended up using a reciprocating saw (Sawzall) that I worried would shake the tank-end of the pipe loose. Didn't happen, but I sure was worried.

Anyway, I've got a lot more clearance now, and I'm not irritated about this one any more. Except it was really stupid that it was fabricated that way to begin with.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone asked for after-surgery pics. See below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201123_164244281.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	30813

Name:	PXL_20201123_164258153.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	30814

Name:	PXL_20201123_164323466.MP.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	30815

Name:	PXL_20201123_164405890.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	30816
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway, I've got a lot more clearance now, and I'm not irritated about this one any more. Except it was really stupid that it was fabricated that way to begin with. -Steve
    Our hanger broke somewhere during a trip - don't even want to think about why - so my temporary parking lot repair was to use zip ties to secure it as high as possible, maybe an inch or two higher. It's still there, about as high as yours seems to be after your repair, so your trailer must have been a Monday build to have been so much lower than it is now.

I have a theory that new hires for Grand Design's factory floor start out working on plumbing. Bad plumbing work is not rare.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone asked for after-surgery pics. See below.

Name:	PXL_20201123_164244281.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	30813

Name:	PXL_20201123_164258153.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	30814

Name:	PXL_20201123_164323466.MP.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	30815

Name:	PXL_20201123_164405890.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	30816
    Steve, that is almost the same issue I had early this past Spring on a trip to New Mexico. I was pulling into a Camp spot assigned by the RV resort and had to make a climbing left turn around huge trees. I was more concerned with my Camper making contact with the bed rails, so had the wife watching the clearance during that climbing turn. After our arrival at our spot, and setting up, I noticed the support straps broken the and low exit flush with my Valtera Still Attached! WOW! I always thought that this was very low as compared to other Campers, even other Solitudes. I was concerned that maybe the Piping got cracked farther up at a bend inside closer to the tank or at the Y fittings. I had to wait until the next morning, but found a fairly well stocked RV repair facility in the town of RIO DOSO. The owner took me back and let me choose the straps similar to the ones you used to wrap around the exit pipe above the Valtera and then I Attached it to the frame that already had holes in perfect position. I used my bottle jack to lift the drain pipe as much as I felt SAFE and lined up the strap hole with the frame hole. I put in a Bolt and nut to hold it securely. I still was concerned about maybe having a crack up higher above the sealant under the rig. We hadn't used any inside water as yet, so I went ahead and asked the wife to flush, and let water drain into shower and kitchen sink for awhile. I pulled the drains one at a time to test and it looked like all was OK. I did not drop the bottom sealer even though I was wanting to. All ended up OK and we have gone camping many times since with no issues.
    I haven't actually measured the clearance, but I would bet all I have is 6 to 8 inches to the ground on my drain also. The Valtera lowered it some, but I did feel that I raised it just a tad with the new strap install. I have worked with Smaller, MAX 2 inch, 40 gauge PVC, on irrigation systems for yards, and PVC can crack in mysterious places. Makes you wonder about the manufacture of PVC, and the control parameters. Sleeves and junctions are usually heavier and thicker. Have seen cracks on those also. I believe the drain tubes on these are thicker than 40 gauge. Am not an expert, but I hope so!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mike and Jane, Two retired Educators/ One retired Army Aviator
    3 Mini Tri AUSIES
    2018 310 GK 2019 Chevy Duramax 3500 4W/D SRW L/B
    BW 18000 lb Hitch, BACKFLIP TONNAU

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12