User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 2019 solitude - 310gk - regarding extended warranty

We have purchased and paid for the extended warranty with the 30 day cancellation clause.

I am interested in feedback from those who have purchased the warranty over the past 3 or 4 years, and have used it, or have never used it. Also interested in hearing from owners who did not purchase the warranty and due to failures, wish they had purchased the warranty.

Thanks for your responses.

Rich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i cant offer any experience because I too also purchased extended warranty and took delivery of my 310GK last Friday. Never been a big fan of extended warranty but with all the mechanical systems in that rig i want to protect my investments as much as possible.
    Dave & Sharon
    Macomb, MI
    2020 Solitude 310GK
    2019 Ford F350 Longbed SRW 6.7 Diesel
    Reese M5 20k Puck mounted

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashus View Post
    i cant offer any experience because I too also purchased extended warranty and took delivery of my 310GK last Friday. Never been a big fan of extended warranty but with all the mechanical systems in that rig i want to protect my investments as much as possible.
    Did the same! Bought the extended warranty on my Ford F350 and never used it.... but....piece of mind....
    2019 Solitude 372WB FBP loaded
    2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 FX4 Long Bed Rapid Red
    1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
    1968 Dodge Charger

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put the money in the same place you keep the rest of your investments and earn interest on it. Spend down the saved money as needed. The actuarial tables are on the side of the warranty company or they wouldn't offer it.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    Put the money in the same place you keep the rest of your investments and earn interest on it. Spend down the saved money as needed. The actuarial tables are on the side of the warranty company or they wouldn't offer it.
    Pretty sure one large repair will wipe that out.....and more. Just my thought...
    2019 Solitude 372WB FBP loaded
    2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 FX4 Long Bed Rapid Red
    1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
    1968 Dodge Charger

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMCFAN View Post
    Pretty sure one large repair will wipe that out.....and more. Just my thought...
    ...and it's a reasonable one. That's why many people buy them.

But there is also another side. The numbers for these warranties run into the thousands of dollars. There are not too many covered incidents that would cost that much to fix or replace. Can you name one?
    Jeff and Jen
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and it's a reasonable one. That's why many people buy them. But there is also another side. The numbers for these warranties run into the thousands of dollars. There are not too many covered incidents that would cost that much to fix or replace. Can you name one?
    I was tempted to do the extended warranty on my Ford Truck. They were offering to cover it for 7 years or 200,000km for CDN$5,000. There is so much complicated stuff on the fully-loaded truck that it seemed it might be worth it.

As I neared the end of the factory warranty (and end of eligibility to extend it) I did some tossing and turning about it. Read the fine print and noted that some very expensive things - like most computer chips - would not be covered. Then I went online and found LOADS of guys complaining that Ford had refused to cover this or that under the extended warranty, things that weren't explicitly excluded from the warranty. I got the impression that the warranty was whatever the dealer and regional rep decided it was, so I passed.

Maybe I'll come back to this thread with a tale of woe someday, but 25,000 km later I'm still a full $5,000 richer.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have extended warranty on truck and trailer. We've gotten our money back on both. Just turned in another claim for our 3rd air conditioner. Last one the insurance paid $1600 for this one failure. One trip to the Ford dealer was $2300 for a radiator and A/C condenser and we've had a number of covered repair on that truck. Warranty on truck doesn't cover filters (think diesel exhaust filter) or sensors which are cheap to buy but expensive to install. So we've beat the odds (sorry insurance co. actuarial dude). Some will say they do all their own work so warranty isn't necessary but it's tough to travel with an arc welder and associated equipment to use on a failed suspension for instance. Sometimes you have to pay someone to do the work.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    Have extended warranty on truck and trailer. We've gotten our money back on both. Just turned in another claim for our 3rd air conditioner. Last one the insurance paid $1600 for this one failure. One trip to the Ford dealer was $2300 for a radiator and A/C condenser and we've had a number of covered repair on that truck. Warranty on truck doesn't cover filters (think diesel exhaust filter) or sensors which are cheap to buy but expensive to install. So we've beat the odds (sorry insurance co. actuarial dude). Some will say they do all their own work so warranty isn't necessary but it's tough to travel with an arc welder and associated equipment to use on a failed suspension for instance. Sometimes you have to pay someone to do the work.
    Modern diesel trucks are very complex and repairs are expensive. That could justify an extended warranty.

Travel trailers and 5th wheels are not complex and repairs are generally far less expensive. An air conditioner compressor is a few hundred dollars, a new converter is less than $250. Plumbing valves and pvc are inexpensive. A whole new microwave is only a few hundred dollars.

What covered expense can happen on a 5th wheel that would justify thousands of dollars in a service contract?
    Last edited by JColeman; 06-20-2019 at 08:58 AM.
    Jeff and Jen

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Modern diesel trucks are very complex and repairs are expensive. That could justify an extended warranty.

Travel trailers and 5th wheels are not complex and repairs are generally far less expensive. An air conditioner compressor is a few hundred dollars, a new converter is less than $250. Plumbing valves and pvc are inexpensive. A whole new microwave is only a few hundred dollars.

What covered expense can happen on a 5th wheel that would justify thousands of dollars in a service contract?
    It's not so much the cost of parts for the RV, it's labor. Labor rates in my neck of the woods range from $130 - $150 per hour for highly skilled techs (sarcasm)
    I was quoted over $800 to service the wheel bearings and seals at a reputable repair shop. I'll do it myself before I'll pay that.

I owned a BMW for several years and had purchased a service contract. I came out way on top with that one. Same with my 2003 Silverado SS. I purchased a contract on our Toyota Highlander, a vehicle known for reliability. Rear hatch actuators failed, more than paid for the contract in one use.

The key for me has been to hem and haw and refuse the "warranty" until I think the price is right. I purchased a contract on our Reflection. The closer started at $3500. Hem, haw, ask a question or three, go over fine points then, nope. I got time on my side, these guys aren't getting a sale in the meantime. When the price came down to $1500 for the Platinum coverage, I jumped.

A new converter may be <$250 but the labor will double that easily, at least on my trailer. Access not easy. Refrigerator on my trailer can cost $4k. It's covered with our contract. Remember, the warranty company isn't going to shop around and pass the savings on to you. Slides? I was just quoted $1300 to remove the Schwintek slide for diagnosis, this does not include any repair. Fortunately for me, GDRV is picking up the tab for that one.

I think service contracts are a crap shoot. If everybody rolls 7's these contracts wouldn't exist. Some of us have to lose. You pays your money and you takes your chances. But I would never pay $3-$4k for one. Be sure to read all the fine print and know what's covered. So far I've held my nose and purchased some of them and come out ahead. This time it may be different but I'm a multi thousandaire and can afford the risk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast