User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sam and Chris

Considering '15 Reflection 27RL

This is our first go at towing a 5ver. We are seriously considering the GD Reflection 27RL. Been reading the forum and don't see any 27RL owners out there. Anyone?
    Looking for any insight before we consider making a deal. Read the "likes and dislikes". Would you buy your 5vers again? If so, what would you change about your purchase? What tires is GD using?
    Also, anyone towing near or at their GCVWR? Our is 16K and this model (along with truck, people, dog, cargo) would put us within 170 pounds of the limit. Comments?
    Been searching a long time. Have weight limits ('10 Chevy 2500HD, 6.0 gas) so few well built models to choose from. Some of the other "Light" trailers are too thin for our liking. (would like a least a little insulation!)
    Any and all suggestions, comments, etc.. welcome!
    With much appreciation -
    Sam and Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sam and Chris
    Sounds like your numbers are about right. You would be pushing the limits of the truck (REALLY pushing it with the 6.0 gas IMO). I would certainly consider going with a diesel. Maybe a hit to the pocketbook now but if you want to tow a rig in that size range with confidence, I would strongly recommend you look into it. It also gives you the flexibility to upgrade to a larger rig in the future without changing tow vehicles. As to tires, I believe the Reflections use Westlake tires. Same as our Solitude. You might want to verify. Grand Design is a terrific company and makes a great product. Customer service is second to none. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Andy
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Sam and Chris! It's funny you mention this--the hubs and I are out camping right now. We have had our Solitude out for 8 months now We were just talking about how glad we are that we bought a Grand Design product and how is we had it to over again--we would buy it all over again! We love it and to what "thompson 369rl" said--service is second to none!!
    You won't be disappointed!!
    Allen and Sandi-Lexington, KY
    Home of fast horses and beautiful women!
    2015 Chevrolet Duramax 4 x 4 3500 HD LTZ
    2014 Solitude 369 RL-Oct. 2014
    2016 Momentum 376 TH-April 2016

Sam and Chris
    Thanks, Sandi! So glad to know there are happy campers out there!
    Still a little concerned about the weight aspect. Previous response was pretty negative that we should pull this trailer with anything less than a diesel. Hubby not wanting to get rid of his Chevy 2500hd gas. We are not rich, so not sure what we will do. Enjoy your trip!
    Blessings!
    Chris

Sam and Chris
    Hi Andy!
    Thanks so much for the input. Really appreciate customers comments as sales people want you to believe you can pull anything with your truck. Pin weight is good, but not sure about the combined weight. Ugh. We have been going through this for a while now and hubby not wanting to get rid of his TV. That being said....looks like it might be a while!
    With gratitude....
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums Sam and Chris!
    WhyPaulo owns the 27RL... http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...highlight=27RL He posted some good info about the 27RL.

As to your truck, our friends own the same truck a 2500/gas (think it's a 2013) and purchased a Columbus 295RL which has about the same weight as a Reflection. They've pulled their camper down here in Louisiana/Mississippi/Texas with no problems. We've discussed pulling up in the lower mountain ranges like the Ozarks to Branson and over to Tennessee. They feel it can be done but probably not as efficiently as with a diesel. They think the the Rockies and the Appalachian ranges would be too difficult.
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a solitude 369RL and love it. 5er is the way to go. Grand Design service is second to none! We had several defects with ours. GD fixed them all, updated our trailer, and even added a few conveniences that we requested. We are really impressed with their service.The only difference I would consider next time is the Momentum 380 from Grand Design RV. They are a super company.

Grand Design now offers Good Year RV tires as an option on the Solitudes. I would take that option if they offer it on the Reflection. They are by far the best tires you can get.

I have a 2010 RAM 3500 Cummins Diesel (its the redesign with a stronger frame, exhaust brake and increased torque - newer RAM's have even more power) with single rear wheels which is putting me at my limits and even the GCWR of 24,000LBS; however, I have absolutely no problems hauling the trailer which is over 15,000 lbs when loaded up because my RAM has a powerful cummins diesel engine with a lot of torque. I thought I was buying a big enough tow vehicle and found out the hard way that I'm at my limits. I did install air bags to help with my stance and performance (it does not increase tow vehicle load capacity) and I installed a TPMS to monitor all my tires on the truck and RV in hopes of preventing a blow out. You often will not know if a tire blows unless you see debris flying down the road in your side mirrors.

I do not advocate running at the limits of your tow vehicle. In my case, I'm just barely within my limits and the truck has a powerful engine. I'm looking at replacing my tires with higher load capacity rating and taking less stuff to decrease my trailer's gross weight to increase my safety margin.
    Last edited by ACDW-Ottawa; 09-26-2014 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Added info regarding safety
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPS® Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Chris and Sam. You will find lots of useful info on all the GD models here.

I am not familiar with your Tow Vehicle at all, but I will tell you that I pull a 2014 Reflection 337
    with a 2011 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4 with a 6.2L gas engine. It does very well. I just don't get
    very good gas mileage. Usually, just below 10mpg. I am close to max weight also and I have installed
    air bags to give me a bit better leveling and ride. You will always do better with a diesel over gas
    for towing these loads.
    For me, and I bought the truck specifically for towing, it was a decision based
    on the price of diesel fuel (at the time), the extra ($7K) cost of a diesel engine, and my inexperience
    with maintaining a diesel. There are times when I wish I had gone the other way, but that's water under the bridge.

Let me suggest this: If you are sure you are going to end up with a 5W and you are going to keep the same truck,
    go ahead and get your hitch installed and ask the dealer to let you do a test tow with the 27RL.
    If they want to sell it to you, they will agree. Mine did.
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are the one towing it. You have to be comfortable with it. Like above post said pull one and see. When doing the math and using correct data numbers do not lie. Bottom line is being safe and being able to have fun and not worry.

Sam and Chris
    Hey Ken!
    Thanks for the input. The dealer actually did offer for us to hook up to tow the 27RL. Two things:
    * because we have a Pull Rite Super glide, we need a capture plate. Needs to be ordered depending on 5ver.
    * towing the RL would be great, but that would be without the 600 or so pounds of cargo.
    Looking around at other "lite" 5vers. Cougar X-lite, Rockwood Signature Ultra Light, etc... All come in great weight with room to spare, but not sold on the "quality". UGH!
    So - do we take a chance on the RL that puts us near capacity, or go with a truly "lite" model.
    OH! Dealer suggested something I had never heard of: Call Chevy and give them the VIN. They can give you the true weight you can tow. Apparently it is a little more than what is stated. Find that hard to believe, but called Chevy yesterday. Suppose to get back to us tomorrow. Anyone ever heard of this???
    Thanks for all the input!
    Tired and weary.....
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast