User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Towing a Reflection 28BH vs XLS 21BHE

The question:

I'm hoping a few of you have relevant experience with both 5ers and TTs and can comment on the following (including why):

If you had to tow 500 miles in a day (65-mph, TX is huge), which would you rather pull? Please include stops for fuel and lunch in your deliberations.
    (1) 10K total weight fifth-wheel at 33'10" long and 12'9" high (28BH)
    (2) 6K total weight travel-trailer at 25' long and 10'5" high (XLS 21BHE)

My hunch is that it's basically a tie, with highway driving being a touch nicer with the 5er but maneuvering at gas stations etc being a bit easier with the TT.

Why I ask:

I currently have a 28BH fifth-wheel. We bought it envisioning grand weeks-long adventures. We actually do local camping for one or maybe two nights at a time. The size of the 28BH precludes me bringing it to the house to work on it (low hanging trees around here, 28-foot driveway). The logistics are also difficult for taking bikes etc with us, since we fully load the truck at home, go to the camper at storage, move everything from the truck to the camper, and then proceed to the campsite. Loading four bikes in the truck with a fifth-wheel hitch is enough of a pain that we just don't take them... or our canoe, which limits our activities a little bit. So I feel like we got a superb trailer, but maybe not the ideal one for our actual usage.

I continually ponder downsizing into a travel trailer to give me more flexibility. The XLS 21BHE is one option, although the comfort of the Murphy bed does give me pause. This is an "everything you need, nothing you don't" kind of camper which would give me more flexibility with toys (bed/roof of truck open) and that I could actually bring to the house for maintenance work. However, there is still a chance that someday we might take that grand adventure with the unit and I am curious how the change to a shorter TT will impact long-distance travel.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having just came from a TT to a 5er I have though about going back to the TT.
    I do not like the 5er for the height and bed restrictions , as you noted, but I also do not like how a TT tows compared to a 5er. My other problem with the TT is the length , it is most generally just the 2 of us but 40% of the time it may be 3 or 5 so that kind of puts me into a 33-35' TT , to long and to heavy.

For what you are wanting to do and what you are thinking you need I think you may be on the right track to downsize and get back your flexibility of taking "toys" that you will enjoy.

Brian

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’re just west in Drippin’ and yup , that first day leaving central Tx is a bear. We almost always do 500 or so the first day as well. The worst is that NW trek on state roads to Colorado or NM. Never had a TT but have pulled plenty of loaded bumper pulls all over. Don’t think I would want to deal with the sway of a TT for 8-10 hours at a clip. The logistics of storage and packing are something only you can weigh and decide on , but it is definitely a valid consideration. Good luck.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re exactly right. Day one of any adventure is from Austin to Santa Rosa NM. I totally agree the roads in NM are punishing.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    You’re exactly right. Day one of any adventure is from Austin to Santa Rosa NM. I totally agree the roads in NM are punishing.
    That’s funny. We have reservations in Santa Rosa later in July on the way to the Durango area.
    After rereading your post the smaller bumper pull may work better , particularly on y’all s weekenders. For us , on a short trip , we tend to leave Thursday and return Sunday. Then we take three or four two week trips a year. If it were more shorter trips a smaller bumper pull would probably be more convenient.
    I’m sticking to my guns though on a fiver being hands down better on a long haul though.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only testify as to my experience towing our Reflection 28bh. Last year was my first time ever towing and we took a 6000 mile trip around the Western US, Alberta and British Columbia.

Right now now we are in the middle of a 3000 mile trip. We just pulled the trailer through Dixie National Park over the 9910 ft summit. The road was very narrow, twisty and bumpy. We encountered 8% grades up and down.

Through all all of that I’ve had zero issues towing. With 3 kids we love the floor plan. I could see us eventually going to a class A, but we would have to custom build triple bunk beds.

all things considered, I’m glad we went with a fifth wheel. I’ve seen some travel trailers wander all over the place when they get hit with wind gusts or when they’re being passed by a big semi pulling a double trailer.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only testify as to my experience towing our Reflection 28bh. Last year was my first time ever towing and we took a 6000 mile trip around the Western US, Alberta and British Columbia.

Right now now we are in the middle of a 3000 mile trip. We just pulled the trailer through Dixie National Park over the 9910 ft summit. The road was very narrow, twisty and bumpy. We encountered 8% grades up and down.

Through all all of that I’ve had zero issues towing. With 3 kids we love the floor plan. I could see us eventually going to a class A, but we would have to custom build triple bunk beds.

all things considered, I’m glad we went with a fifth wheel. I’ve seen some travel trailers wander all over the place when they get hit with wind gusts or when they’re being passed by a big semi pulling a double trailer.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the 28BH will get a couple of 260-mile days this week. I definitely like the way it tows on the longer runs.

cfowler55 - I was actually in Santa Rosa and Durango two weeks ago (twice) as my son and I escaped to Mesa Verde NP and Ridgway SP in CO for a week. We took my tiny inTech camper so we could cover ground with haste and without worry. If you only have two people and can survive without a bathroom, the inTech is a joy. Unfortunately the inTech is a "boys only" camper as the girls won't even consider not having a bathroom.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 23 foot hybrid for twelve years before buying my 28bh three years ago. No way I would go back. The biggest improvement for me was the storage in the 28bh. Between the pass through storage and the rear storage I'm able to keep everything in the camper rather than needing to load up the truck bed before every trip. Literally saves me hours everytime we go out.

Granted I don't have your struggles with access at my home to get loaded up, but I'd find a way to work around those issues if they're important. Maybe a bike rack on the front of the truck or something.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really want a rugged travel trailer check this brand out.

https://www.blackseriescamper.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast