User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple of power questions. Factory Inverter? EMS Necessary?

Picking up my new 337rls on Saturday and i'm trying to get an idea of what i'm going to need.

Is there an inverter to go from battery power to 120v from the factory? I realize i won't be running AC or anything like that but id like to have power for maybe the TV or to run the margarita maker

Is an EMS really necessary or is a surge protector for shore power sufficient?

First post on the forum, seems like a fantastic place!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard, jbarden. And congratulations on the new rig.

I think some form of protection is a really good idea. I use a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50c that I brought over from my previous rig. It's hardwired inside my unit where the shore power comes in. There are a lot of different devices. Others will chime in I's sure with their choice.

Now that you joined get ready to open your wallet - there are just so many ideas here of things to add. I think all of us have succumbed to the calling of neat goodies and other 'necessities'. I hope you have fun here and learn a lot.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jbarden if you have the residential refrigerator option then your trailer includes a second battery and an inverter. If not then you have one battery, no inverter to convert 12V power to 120V power.

With or without that option you have a "converter" to convert 120V power to 12V to charge your battery and run 12V systems in the trailer when you're plugged in.

There are enough stories about bad power in RV parks to scare many (most?) of us including me into an EMS. Surges are one thing, but brown-outs, improper grounding and other wiring faults, faulty breakers, and more threaten the 120V appliances (microwave, fireplace, TV) in your trailer.

One of the most popular EMS systems is this one:

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c

It gets installed inside the trailer rather than at the pedestal, so no worries about theft, leaving it behind, etc., just plug in shore power. It has a remote display that I've mounted in the Nautilus water management closet so I can watch it as we plug in. And it reportedly is well-supported by the manufacturer - we've had no troubles in two years so haven't had to experience that yet.

If you prefer pedestal-mount for some reason, the same company sells them too. The other leading company in the EMS business is this one which also sells both types of protection.

https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...ge-protection/

Good luck with your choices, and welcome!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From factory you have an ac-2-dc converter. There are discussions within this forum of replacing it for a better performing model.

Personally, I would get an EMS (hardwired or portable) as they protect your coach from so many more things that can go wrong electrically than a simple surge protector. We have a pt50x and it has tripped off line (protecting us) for low voltage a few times. It automatically reconnects when the threat is gone.

This snapshot shows you a comparison of what each do and don’t do. Hope this helps.

////chile
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	20878

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    SW of ATL
    2018 F350 CC DRW
    2019 Momentum 394M

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you have a residential refer you will not have a factory Inverter. (from your model # it doesn't look like it)

EMS good cuz it will stop "bad" power (high, low, no neutral etc.) from getting in and help diagnose the problem. Surge protector will only help with surge. I use progressive portable.

Edit: Thanks Mark and Chile for more thorough answers (I am a slow typist)
    Last edited by JCR GD; 06-20-2019 at 08:29 AM.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarden View Post
    Picking up my new 337rls on Saturday and i'm trying to get an idea of what i'm going to need.

Is there an inverter to go from battery power to 120v from the factory? I realize i won't be running AC or anything like that but id like to have power for maybe the TV or to run the margarita maker

Is an EMS really necessary or is a surge protector for shore power sufficient?

First post on the forum, seems like a fantastic place!
    One of the first mods I did was add a hardwired EMS. I haven't come across bad power--yet--but still glad I have it. https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...0C-(Any-Tips-) Post #12 in the thread has a PDF showing how I installed it.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic Responses thanks everyone!

Yup no residential fridge so i guess no inverter.

Is the hard wired ems easy to install in the RV? More a question of access than actual wiring. I'm not afraid of wiring, just not sure how accessible the installation area is going to be.

Edit: Just saw your post on installation of the EMS, Nice write up! anyone know how access is specifically in the 337RLS.
    Last edited by jbarden; 06-20-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Edit: Thanks Mark and Chile for more thorough answers (I am a slow typist)
    It’s not about how slow we type (no one more guilty of this than myself), but how fast we chime in to help answer questions. New post with 5 helpful replies in under an hour!

It’s what makes this community great. You guys have been there when I needed the help and for that; thank you.

///chile.

SW of ATL
    2018 F350 CC DRW
    2019 Momentum 394M

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic Responses thanks everyone!

Yup no residential fridge so i guess no inverter.

Is the hard wired ems easy to install in the RV? More a question of access than actual wiring. I'm not afraid of wiring, just not sure how accessible the installation area is going to be.

Edit: Just saw your post on installation of the EMS, Nice write up! anyone know how access is specifically in the 337RLS.
    Not trying to sway you away from a hardwired vs portable EMS, just something to consider:

If you have my type of luck, what happens when/if the EMS goes bad? Granted this is rare, but we have read of this happening. With a hardwired unit, you’ve got some digging around to do. With a portable unit it’s simpler.

That being said, it’s one more step each and every time you set up camp with a portable unit. And we cable lock our unit to the post, even one more step!

So this will come down to personal preference. Either way, get an EMS for piece of mind and protection. You’ll be happy you did.

/////chile

SW of ATL
    2018 F350 CC DRW
    2019 Momentum 394M

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be behind the rear passthru partition wall, takes a few screws to take it down.
    See https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...worth-it/page2
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast