Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fans for fridge evaporator?

Any of you guys have installed these in the E-fins on the inside of the 4 door fridge?

Thinking of doing it. I haven't even used my 4 door fridge yet but want to head off any problems before they happen. I jave heard that their has some cooling issues with the larger fridge.

https://www.rvcoolingunit.com/Dometi...-P5672097.aspx
    2018 3500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB
    2014 2500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB(sold)
    Pullrite 2700 Autoslider
    Timbrens
    2018 28bh 5th wheel
    X23B Jayco (sold)
    1991 Pop-up (sold)
    Tent (might bring along so I know what camping is like again)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwminnesota View Post
    Any of you guys have installed these in the E-fins on the inside of the 4 door fridge?

Thinking of doing it. I haven't even used my 4 door fridge yet but want to head off any problems before they happen. I jave heard that their has some cooling issues with the larger fridge.

We have a Norcold 1210 4 door in our rig and it has operated continuously with no problem for 3 1/2 years. If I was going to add fans, I'd do it outside in the upper section to help remove the heat. I think you'd get more bang for your buck. Good luck.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Alan suggests, might want to check out one of these pancake fans...... http://thenorcoldguy.com/fans-internal-and-external/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPI1h_0hBbg
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did buy and install one of these earlier model fans. I am still experimenting with how and where to position it. It is one of the two fan units, and so far I have not been impressed with air circulation. Perhaps the newer three fan units that are wider and have legs to help position it would be better. I will continue to fine tune the mounting positions, but as of now, I am not satisfied with the unit I bought.
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    We have a Norcold 1210 4 door in our rig and it has operated continuously with no problem for 3 1/2 years. If I was going to add fans, I'd do it outside in the upper section to help remove the heat. I think you'd get more bang for your buck. Good luck.

Alan
    I am not sure but don't the new ones come with fans for outside ?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure but don't the new ones come with fans for outside ?
    Mine is a 2017 and it does not have fans on the outside........................................... ......yet! I will be getting one of the pancake fans that I posted the link for, in my post above, before summer. Not because there's a problem with it but if I can do something this simple to help it run a little cooler, hopefully it'll last a little longer. Want to be proactive rather than reactive. In the RV maint. tech. class last week, they said it would help......we'll see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6464.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	10407
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2017 315RLTS with the Norcold 1210 fridge. The 1210 comes from the factory with 2 cooling fans installed in the cooling unit, I hear them cycle on occasionally during hot weather. The Norcold service manual details the replacement of these fans and thermal switch. If you never hear the fans either the sound is isolated so well you can't hear them or they are not working. They need to be working.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a four-door Norcold unit in my previous RV.

The fans (battery-powered or permanently wired) are not as effective as that good friend of RVers, everywhere: the plastic container full of water with a bit of air space for expansion.

The biggest problem with keeping an RV refrigerator cold is (wait for it) opening and closing the door to get stuff.

These evaporators do not move a lot of heat per minute compared to a residential unit.

By putting that gallon or half-gallon of water on the top shelf, you create a relatively MASSIVE heat sink for the contents of the refrigerator or freezer.

It will absorb heat far faster than the evaporator can move it out of the compartment.

Also, since it is now colder than the air inside, it will boost the convection currents of air, cooling the compartment faster.

This gives the evaporator less of a load per minute to cool things back to the desired temperature.

As it draws the temperature of the compartment down, it re-cools your heat sink.

Think of the water as a refrigerator version of an air tank for water systems.

The same applies to your freezer.

Pre-freeze a container of water at home before your trip and toss it in the freezer when you first fire it up.

A freezer packed full of frozen food works just as well but, as it empties, a heat sink will help keep cold things cold.

The traditional container for RVers is the plastic milk jug in either the half gallon or full gallon configuration.

However, some refrigerators (like my current one, for instance) do not have room for more than one gallon jug and that is on the bottom shelf where it does the least good.

I find it far easier to fit gallon freezer food storage bags into tight places and they take up less room.

They offer considerably more surface area, too, which makes them even more effective than milk jugs.

Just freeze a couple of bags before the trip for the freezer.

By laying them flat in your home freezer, you get a flat sheet of ice that will fit on any shelf and let you stack stuff on top of it.

As a bonus, freezer bags take up next to no room, so you can start with a packed freezer full of pre-frozen food and add the heat sink when you have eaten enough that there is room for it.

This is also the only way I know to keep ice cream frozen in an RV.

To avoid leaks in the refrigerator, just fill the top door shelf with bottled water.

Replace them as you consume them and you will have a semi-permanent heat sink and cold drinking water available at all times.

Win-win!

In the same vein (or artery, if you just HAVE to be unique), a couple of CLAY bricks (not concrete) wrapped in aluminum foil sitting in the bottom of your oven will keep the temperature inside much more consistent, making baking a real possibility, instead of getting the burnt-crust, raw-middle casseroles with which we are all familiar.

Heat sinks - they're not just for electronics.

Have fun!

2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    Mine is a 2017 and it does not have fans on the outside........................................... ......yet! I will be getting one of the pancake fans that I posted the link for, in my post above, before summer. Not because there's a problem with it but if I can do something this simple to help it run a little cooler, hopefully it'll last a little longer. Want to be proactive rather than reactive. In the RV maint. tech. class last week, they said it would help......we'll see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6464.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	10407
    JCZ, I think if you look up the shaft in the back you will see at least 2 fans up there. Mine has 3. Should be same model refer as mine.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    JCZ, I think if you look up the shaft in the back you will see at least 2 fans up there. Mine has 3. Should be same model refer as mine.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll check on that, this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast