Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Momentum's are "travel friendly"?

I'm hoping to get into a new or slightly used Momentum late summer or early fall 2019 and would appreciate comments on which of the line are "travel friendly"?

I travel three to five times per year three to four days from Las Vegas to Portland or Seattle, Portland or Seattle to Tulsa, etc., and like to dry camp overnight wherever I get tired, rest areas, truck stops, boondocking locations, etc. I work as a contract software developer and have had opportunities on the east cost in NC, etc., and my kids and grandkids are in Portland and Seattle, so it's entirely possible I may be working on the east coast and travel to the west coast two to three times per year, four to five days on the road.

I am interested in a rig that is more residential than my current 2011 Jayco Eagle 25.5 and is usable with the slides in. I want access to the restroom, bed, and enough of the kitchen to make a meal and coffee.

As an example, I've seen YouTube videos showing that the 399 is almost completely inaccessible, but the 397 has reasonable access.

My truck is a 2019 Duramax CC DRW High Country with a 4,592 pound payload and 23k towing capacity. The triple axle Momentums will probably max out my payload and I won't have enough left over for an aux fuel tank (70 gal from TheFuelBox.com) and canister bed cover. I estimate about a thousand pounds of fuel, bed cover, compressor, spare DEF, misc tools, spare tire, etc. I'd like to be able to get into campgrounds relatively easy, so the 42' to 44' lengths are pushing the envelope. I'm thinking the tandem axle units are where I should be. It's just me and a six pound Chihuahua, and I've been in a 30' single slide 8' wide for three years, so as much as I like the size and roominess of the 397, any of these will be HUGE from my perspective. I work from "home" a lot so I'm thinking the garage would be an office space where I can setup a desk and love seat without modifying the residential section or taking over my kitchen with work stuff as I do now. Dedicating the garage to "office" makes it easy to calculate percentage used as business for deductions as well!

The 328M (now discontinued but still available new on some lots) looks like it has complete access with the slides closed and is the shortest at 35'. The 349M I can't tell if the frig will open with the slide closed. It looks like the 327M (discontinued but available used) is similar to the 328M but with a larger pantry.

I am trying to find units I can walk through while I'm up in the Cascade Locks (near Portland) Oregon area this summer but would appreciate comments from those of you who have spent time in these.

Thanks!
    Kate
    Last edited by [email protected]; 06-20-2019 at 08:55 AM. Reason: added model

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 395 which would not give you total access while closed. We swapped the propane fridge for residential so we have fridge access over the counter but the living room is closed off. Not a big deal since we just need sleeping quarters and bathroom when on the road. We moved the living room TV to the master when we got an oled so we have a decent sized screen in there forntertainment.

I can always open the dining slide as well by itself

Really unless you're constantly boondocking in driveways and parking lots all the time it really isn't something you should limit yourself with.

Payload is anther story. I think our pin weight is around 3700 lbsi have the weight ticket from the scales posted here somewhere. These toy haulers are heavy. I also want to get a 90 gal auxillary tank which I have just enough payload for. Pulling these things with a 33 gallon tank is a pia

Good luck with whatever you go with
    Last edited by Aridon; 06-20-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can confirm you should take the 399 off your list. The only thing accessible when all slides are in is the pantry and the garage/rear bathroom. You can sleep in the garage at truck stops on the way, we have done that numerous times, but you wont have usable access to the kitchen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know anything about the smaller Momentums. I would suggest that you go to a dealership that carries the shorter Momentums and view them first hand.

However, I would caution that you confirm and verify here with actual owners here, anything that a saleman tells you. ALWAY CONFIRM & VERIFY WITH ACTUAL OWNERS!

Having been ocean to ocean a couple of times with our Momentum 376TH (triple axle) and knowing what I know about the tires, brakes and suspension, what ever model you get I would suggest seriously considering upgrading the axles, suspension (MORryde CRE3000), change the drum brakes to hydraulic over disc brakes and upgrade the tires to the next heavier load rated tire.
    Last edited by JCZhome; 06-20-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 328 is just converting from the "M" series to the "G" series.

Should be out soon in the new version.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    The 328 is just converting from the "M" series to the "G" series.

Should be out soon in the new version.
    Aha! But that begs the question of the difference between the three series. I assume the M is a "cheap" version of the TH and the G is a "cheaper" version of the M???? Do you mind clarifying please?
    Thanks!
    Kate

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Aha! But that begs the question of the difference between the three series. I assume the M is a "cheap" version of the TH and the G is a "cheaper" version of the M???? Do you mind clarifying please?
    Thanks!
    Kate
    At the risk of offending somebody......that's pretty close.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The TH are built with drop frames and have more "stuff" standard.

The M series has the most models, but use a straight frame. About the same amount of "stuff".

The G series is the most affordable, like the S series Solitude. Uses electric leveling and slides, different sidewall material, and less "stuff".
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going by the original post, I do not believe the big TH series of Momentum’s are going to work for you. This is coming from someone who owns one. All of your statements sounds like you really want a large Momentum. However, when you list what you want, these models are not going to fit your needs.

I think the Solitude 377 model(s) will fit your needs better. Ex: separate room for your office space, able to use bathroom, bedroom, and kitchen, all traveling across country. The Solitude will give you all of the good “stuff” that the Momentum offers.

I would second what JCZ recommends. Upgrade brakes, tires, and suspension components if you are going to be running a lot of long distance. You will happier in the long run.

Good luck with your choice.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    The TH are built with drop frames and have more "stuff" standard.

The M series has the most models, but use a straight frame. About the same amount of "stuff".

The G series is the most affordable, like the S series Solitude. Uses electric leveling and slides, different sidewall material, and less "stuff".
    Thanks for this straight forward and simple response. The “M” models always confused me. Now it makes sense.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast