User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2017 29 RSTS..
    It is now over 2 years old and no longer under warranty..
    While it was under warranty the battery charger was deemed bad and replaced and the 2 batteries were replaced..
    First question, because it may answer a lot about my problem,
    someone said get a trickle charger / battery tender..I don't understand how this would help or change anything as there's a charger built into the rig..
    ( I have a life long history with batteries of different chemistries and absolutely do not like battery tenders on lead acid batteries because of the notorious memory of lead acid batteries..
    An automatic charger watches voltage, turns on when the battery reaches 90 or 92% then turns off at 98%.. When you go to use the battery as soon as you put a load on the battery it says I'm dead and ready to be charged..)
    Then after the first year I left the rig plugged in for the winter and left the batteries on the rig in the cold.. ( the rig was plugged in )..
    In the spring the batteries were so badly discharged they were bad and GD kindly replaced them again..
    Now the rig is off warranty..
    It's spring again..
    My rigs been plugged in..
    My batteries are dead.. Over Discharged..
    I expect them bad..
    I removed them from the rig and brought them to a battery place for core charges and to replace them..
    The guy put a load tester on them both separately and said they were good.
    I found this hard to believe..
    I brought them home and put them on my bench in my garage and put a auto type charger on them..
    They did exactly what I would expect a good battery to do..
    They accepted a charge and now had good voltage ( over 13v off the charger )..
    I put them on the rig..
    Everything worked well..
    I tested voltage after I connected them on the rig..
    Before connection over 13v..
    After connection under 13v..
    There's a draw.. Not a huge draw though..
    I plugged the rig in..
    Then I see 13.4v.. That's the battery charger in the rig..
    Looks good..
    With in a few days the batteries are dead again..
    If I disconnect them they accept a charge just fine..
    If I put them on the rig and plug the rig in a see the voltage I should from the rigs battery charger..
    But the rigs battery charger is NOT charging them..

As I type this I am thinking Just change the battery charger that's built into the rig..
    But the selling dealership already did that..

????????????????????

Teddy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same dead battery problem here on a brand new Solitude 380 FL. Took a month to isolate the problem. The Furrion cameras were the problem. They had to rewire the running lights. They think a errant staple /nail may have caused the problem. Grand Design ought to check for battery drain during their inspection process.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDCLUFF View Post
    Same dead battery problem here on a brand new Solitude 380 FL. Took a month to isolate the problem. The Furrion cameras were the problem. They had to rewire the running lights. They think a errant staple /nail may have caused the problem. Grand Design ought to check for battery drain during their inspection process.
    I don't have cameras on my rig...

I have no idea where to go with this..

I guess I should change the battery charger,
    but this will be the third one if I do that..

Doesn't make sense..

Teddy

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebadhawk View Post
    I have a 2017 29 RSTS..
    It is now over 2 years old and no longer under warranty..
    While it was under warranty the battery charger was deemed bad and replaced and the 2 batteries were replaced..
    First question, because it may answer a lot about my problem,
    someone said get a trickle charger / battery tender..I don't understand how this would help or change anything as there's a charger built into the rig..
    ( I have a life long history with batteries of different chemistries and absolutely do not like battery tenders on lead acid batteries because of the notorious memory of lead acid batteries..
    An automatic charger watches voltage, turns on when the battery reaches 90 or 92% then turns off at 98%.. When you go to use the battery as soon as you put a load on the battery it says I'm dead and ready to be charged..)
    Then after the first year I left the rig plugged in for the winter and left the batteries on the rig in the cold.. ( the rig was plugged in )..
    In the spring the batteries were so badly discharged they were bad and GD kindly replaced them again..
    Now the rig is off warranty..
    It's spring again..
    My rigs been plugged in..
    My batteries are dead.. Over Discharged..
    I expect them bad..
    I removed them from the rig and brought them to a battery place for core charges and to replace them..
    The guy put a load tester on them both separately and said they were good.
    I found this hard to believe..
    I brought them home and put them on my bench in my garage and put a auto type charger on them..
    They did exactly what I would expect a good battery to do..
    They accepted a charge and now had good voltage ( over 13v off the charger )..
    I put them on the rig..
    Everything worked well..
    I tested voltage after I connected them on the rig..
    Before connection over 13v..
    After connection under 13v..
    There's a draw.. Not a huge draw though..
    I plugged the rig in..
    Then I see 13.4v.. That's the battery charger in the rig..
    Looks good..
    With in a few days the batteries are dead again..
    If I disconnect them they accept a charge just fine..
    If I put them on the rig and plug the rig in a see the voltage I should from the rigs battery charger..
    But the rigs battery charger is NOT charging them..

As I type this I am thinking Just change the battery charger that's built into the rig..
    But the selling dealership already did that..

????????????????????

Teddy
    Is it possible your battery disconnect switch is off so you arent charging the battery? All your 12v would be supplied by the converter and the parasitic loads that are not turned off by the disconnect switch are draining your battery.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Is it possible your battery disconnect switch is off so you arent charging the battery? All your 12v would be supplied by the converter and the parasitic loads that are not turned off by the disconnect switch are draining your battery.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Wow,,
    Great,,
    I never thought of that..
    But no,, when the batts are charged I put a meter directly on them and see about 13v..
    Then I plug in the rig and immediately see 13.4v,,
    that's the charger,, that's exactly what I should see from the charger..
    So am I saying I'm seeing the chargers voltage but the charger isn't capable of putting out amperage / current ???
    Is that possible ???

Teddy

And everything in the rig works when the rig is NOT plugged in...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123