Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydraulic slideout adjustment and operation

I am curious how the slide out hydraulic cylinders are adjusted and operate. Do the cylinders top out and bottom out on stroke when the slides are fully deployed and retracted? If not, I would think that they would destroy the slides or sidewalls once the mechanisms reached their limits. I noticed on my 381M that they kitchen slide cylinder jam nuts are not pulled up hard on the bracket. I have about 1" of play when the cylinder changes direction. A friend of mine's 351M is the same way. I suspect they did this because the stroke of the cylinder is longer than the stroke of the slide. Thoughts?
    2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate
    2019 Momentum 381

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motocamper View Post
    I am curious how the slide out hydraulic cylinders are adjusted and operate. Do the cylinders top out and bottom out on stroke when the slides are fully deployed and retracted? If not, I would think that they would destroy the slides or sidewalls once the mechanisms reached their limits. I noticed on my 381M that they kitchen slide cylinder jam nuts are not pulled up hard on the bracket. I have about 1" of play when the cylinder changes direction. A friend of mine's 351M is the same way. I suspect they did this because the stroke of the cylinder is longer than the stroke of the slide. Thoughts?
    Cylinder stroke seems to be it. Some slack for full open vs full closed.

Found:
    Slide-Out Adjustment, Trouble Shooting, and Timing Shaft Replacement Guide

The goal of these adjustments is to set the cylinder so that it is fully extended when the room is fully extended and fully retracted when the room is fully retracted.

Cylinder stroke not set to match distance of room travel
    Adjust the rod end jamb nuts so that the cylinder is fully extended at the same time the slide room is fully extended.

When making this adjustment, note that changes to the length of the cylinder extension have an effect on cylinder retraction.
    This means that the room could possibly be over-retracted and consequently damage the flanges.
    It may be necessary to make an additional adjustment at the rear of the cylinder.

Additionally, it may be necessary to leave a space between the two sets of jamb nuts on the room attachment bracket.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are instructions on how to do this in the LCI thru frame slide out manual. Very simple.
    Retired Truck Driver
    42 yrs. 4.5 Million Miles
    2019 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info thanks
    2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate
    2019 Momentum 381