User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the damaged section I found when I cut open the roof.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0856.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	20945
    In the center of the roof membrane was a pinhole.

Name:	IMG_0853.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	20946
    It's hard to believe a small hole like this could allow enough moisture in to cause this wood rot. I can only guess that as a heavy rain like we've had cools the roof/trailer it might actually suck in some water.
    I look over my entire roof but have always looked closest at the sealant areas. This pinhole looks just like any of the other hundreds of black spots that are just dirt. I guess there's something to say for the roof coatings some use on their roof.
    I'm still searching for a way to secure an approximate 12x12" patch that will actually provide some strength to it. All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
    2015 328M
    2019 F350 SRW 6.7 & B&W slider

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foothills Jim View Post
    I'm still searching for a way to secure an approximate 12x12" patch that will actually provide some strength to it. All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
    I guess to make the smallest hole in the roof I'd cut out the rotted part in a square or rectangle shape, then slide wood into the hole that is a couple inches wider/longer than the hole.
    Then some stainless deck screws around the perimeter to secure that wood to the sheathing.
    Then put a patch on top of that and screw it on.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the damaged section I found when I cut open the roof.

Name:	IMG_0856.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	20945
    In the center of the roof membrane was a pinhole.

Name:	IMG_0853.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	20946
    It's hard to believe a small hole like this could allow enough moisture in to cause this wood rot. I can only guess that as a heavy rain like we've had cools the roof/trailer it might actually suck in some water.
    I look over my entire roof but have always looked closest at the sealant areas. This pinhole looks just like any of the other hundreds of black spots that are just dirt. I guess there's something to say for the roof coatings some use on their roof.

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim - incredible that small hole would result in that much damage. Good news, can be fixed and when done will be better than new. Good you found it.

Gene shared good feedback on your repair question. You may also want to PM Andrew @Agpopp since he buys and repairs salvage RVs. He shared many posts and pictures on the 2015 317 Reflection he purchased in late 2017. Several dealt with roof/rafters/etc. repairs.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Foothills,
    That is a scary picture of damage from only a pinhole ??
    Now, I'll have to crawl all over my roof to check for such holes.
    Man.... these things really do require a LOT of looking after, on a regular basis !!

Gene's idea is the only way to patch the hole.... but I would use 2X6's and cut them as large as will fit under two opposing ends.
    The more "bearing" you have the better.
    Then use a waterproof adhesive on the pieces before you screw them to the existing deck allowing for half the width of the 2X6 to be available for the plywood patch.
    After gluing and screwing these pieces , cut 2 additional 2X6's to fit between the other 2 sides to support the patch on all 4 sides.
    Glue and screw these into place as well. Now you have a solid surrounding area that will support weight in the future.

You can probably just put 4" or 6" piece of Eterna tape over the cut TPO, centered of course, and cover with copious self leveling sealant to seal everything !!

Good Luck and Thanks for the Heads Up !!

Michael
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, sent this PM too

Hi Jim!
    I'd cut right into that if youre not afraid! I'd use a multi tool or if not available use a circular saw set to 1/2 inch. Just square up and cut out what you need. They only use 7/16 osb on the roof, so you can get a whole sheet of that for around 10 bucks right now. Slip in some 2x4 or 1x4 scraps for nailers and put some construction adhesive on them. For screws, the factory uses these little puny 1 inch jobs so anything around a 1 1/4 deck screw would work. Then place a few layers of masking tape (exactly what the factory uses over the seam to make it a better transition. Since it's a small patch, use some spray adhesive on both the roof and rubber and flop the roof back over. Add some eternabond and lap sealant and you're good for the next 100k miles.

Don't panic about fixing, just be glad you're able to do it and not too lazy to just look at it.

Good luck!

I also have some mods to add to my write up after I fixed the common sleeper sofa issues and had to do floor repair
    I'm on vacation now so ill have time to post up

And I scaled the dually and 317 yesterday on our way. The results were surprising.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Andrew in the Burgh
    2015 Reflection 317RST...Auction Rebuild

See Thread Here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...795#post145795

2016 F350 CCLB DRW 6.7

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advise everyone. I've already cut out the damaged section and cleaned up the whole area, now waiting for it to dry thoroughly before I repair it. I'll post some more pics tomorrow. Enjoy your vacation Andrew.
    2015 328M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advise everyone. I've already cut out the damaged section and cleaned up the whole area, now waiting for it to dry thoroughly before I repair it. I'll post some more pics tomorrow. Enjoy your vacation Andrew.
    Thanks.
    Good deal. You must have a good place to work under cover because in Pittsburgh you have to wait forever to get 2 nice days in a row

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Andrew in the Burgh
    2015 Reflection 317RST...Auction Rebuild

See Thread Here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...795#post145795

2016 F350 CCLB DRW 6.7

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good lesson on trusting your gut! Good luck with the repair!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's some follow up pictures of the repair.

I cut out the damaged section using a thin cut off wheel in an angle grinder. Not the best thing for cutting wood but I'm more of a mechanic than woodworker and a plunge cut with my circular saw wouldn't have produced as good a result.

Name:	1 cut out the damage.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	20977

After cutting out the damage I put some wood scraps between the OSB and the insulation to allow some air to enter and dry any moisture. Then placed a fan blowing at the area.

Name:	2 spacers to dry out.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	20978

I screwed in three pieces of 1x6" which worked well for my 11" opening.

Name:	3 supports screwed in.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	20979

Next I screwed in the OSB replacement piece.

Name:	4 patch screwed in.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	20980

I went down to my shop and saw the tube of construction adhesive I bought sitting on my cluttered workbench. Hate it when that happens! I pulled everything back out and then reinstalled using the adhesive and the screws. Thanks for the adhesive tip Andrew and Michael, I wouldn't have thought of that.

I had some scrap laminate from a previous project so I used it to cover the screws on the patched area. I didn't have a piece large enough so I cut what I had in two so I could get all of the screws covered. Don't want any screws backing out and showing themselves later.

Name:	5 laminate glued down.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	20981
    2015 328M

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I glued the TPO back down and now it's ready for some Eternabond tape and lap sealant. One of the corners of the TPO where it was still attached to the roof was stretched out of shape quite a bit but surprisingly it glued down better than I thought. I almost forgot to patch the pinhole that caused this problem in the beginning, LOL.

Name:	6 ready for tape and sealant.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	20982

It's hard to believe the rotted wood was caused by the pinhole located centered in that damaged area. It was surrounded by solid wood and I could see no other place the water could have come from. Makes me wonder if there are any other pinholes I haven't located and because of this I'm now considering a roof coating.

Has anyone had experience with Henry Tropi-cool roof coating? A search on this website returned no results. The local home improvement store sells it and it gets pretty good reviews. The main drawback I can see is since it's silicone nothing else will adhere to it once it's applied.
    2015 328M

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast