User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A/C and hailstorm

Well, our first long distance outing, western US for 2 months, and of course we get caught in a hail storm. Broken taillight, broken vent cover. But of course the condenser fins on both A/C units were beat up. The rear wasn't bad as it was partially protected, but the front took it pretty bad. Is it worth buying a fin comb and trying to comb them out? Anyone done this before?

Thanks!
    Bill and Tracy
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2015 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    Arizona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the fin comb and it does a decent job of straightning them out. It is tedious to be honest and takes patients to work out all the crooked fins. But, the up side is the better airflow across those fins the better it will exchange the heat. When I used the comb on our AC I had about 15 spots that needed work. if you have one or two it might not make much of a differenc. My friends was way worse with most of the surface area mashed. Ins replaced his AC unit, the roof and all vents on the roof.
    2019 Reflection 367BHS with a few mods
    2018 F350 6.7 SRWD CCSB
    1971 F250 Highboy with lots & lots of mods...

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Been there with you on an older unit. Fins totally flatten. Trailer totaled, but I bought it back for $75. The dented siding gave it a personality of it own. It took a bit of effort to get the comb started - used a plastic knife to peal enough fins back. Work the comb carefully and be sure your using the correct width. It takes a bit so do it on a cool day. I recommend using gloves as an oops can be very painful.

Good luck
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar