Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Towing with gas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing with gas

Has anyone towed a Reflection 303, or similar size 5th wheel, to Alaska with a gas truck? If so, how were the mountain grades?
    Steve & Ann Ellis
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sellis1053 View Post
    Has anyone towed a Reflection 303, or similar size 5th wheel, to Alaska with a gas truck? If so, how were the mountain grades?
    We don't have a 303, but a 26RL. It's a bit smaller. We did an Alaska/Canada trip last summer. Really had no issues with a gas truck. Not really a "gas" issue but how much power the truck has. And, finding gas in Canada/Alaska is sometimes easier than finding diesel.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Alaska and towed our 303 from Texas and back to Minnesota with a Sierra 2500HD with 6.0 liter gas. I had no problems, just a bit slower on some climbs. The first trip I went through Colorado, Wyoming and Montana on I25 and connecting interstates. On the Alaska Highway your steepest descents and climbs are at Taylor, Steamboat Mountain, and Sikanni Chiefs. I have a 27 gallon tank so I carry a extra gas can just in case as some stretches are longer than 200 miles with reasonably priced gas. I suggest you get "The Milepost" to plan your trip. It is invaluable and identifies almost all of the steep grades. Plan your trip and come enjoy Alaska.
    Tom and Tanya
    Live in Alaska, currently winter in Texas Hill Country.
    303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldotnatom View Post
    I live in Alaska and towed our 303 from Texas and back to Minnesota with a Sierra 2500HD with 6.0 liter gas. I had no problems, just a bit slower on some climbs. The first trip I went through Colorado, Wyoming and Montana on I25 and connecting interstates. On the Alaska Highway your steepest descents and climbs are at Taylor, Steamboat Mountain, and Sikanni Chiefs. I have a 27 gallon tank so I carry a extra gas can just in case as some stretches are longer than 200 miles with reasonably priced gas. I suggest you get "The Milepost" to plan your trip. It is invaluable and identifies almost all of the steep grades. Plan your trip and come enjoy Alaska.
    Thanks. I've towed the 303 all over the lower 48 and part of BC. We're planning on Alaska next year. I appreciate the feedback and will definitely get the Milepost.
    Steve & Ann Ellis
    2018 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve and Ann, your biggest issue towing your trailer is not the steep climbs. It is road conditions. There are a lot of sections where the road has a lot of heaves in it in the Yukon and Alaska. It is actually worse in Alaska on the Alaska Highway to Tok and on the Tok Cutoff than anything in Canada when I drove it in early May, 2019. One suggestion off topic is to take an unmounted extra tire. You can find somewhere to get it mounted, but off the local shop doesn't stock your tire it can take a while to get one. This gives you an extra spare.
    Tom and Tanya
    Live in Alaska, currently winter in Texas Hill Country.
    303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldotnatom View Post
    Steve and Ann, your biggest issue towing your trailer is not the steep climbs. It is road conditions. There are a lot of sections where the road has a lot of heaves in it in the Yukon and Alaska. It is actually worse in Alaska on the Alaska Highway to Tok and on the Tok Cutoff than anything in Canada when I drove it in early May, 2019. One suggestion off topic is to take an unmounted extra tire. You can find somewhere to get it mounted, but off the local shop doesn't stock your tire it can take a while to get one. This gives you an extra spare.
    Thanks....
    Steve & Ann Ellis
    2018 Reflection 303RLS