User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excessive tire wear after 6000 miles

I recently noticed that there is a lot of wear on the inside edges of the tires on my rear axle, with the most wear on the heavier drivers side after only about 6000 miles. The front axle tires still look like new. The inside groove is almost completely worn flat. Took it into a tire shop and they think it could be caused by the bearings being too loose. So it looks like I need 4 new tires (going with the Goodyear Endurance) and a bearing service, unless some other problem is found when they take it apart.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A38C91FB-80BC-4094-8B1E-D1AC00077F3E.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	20909
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3A3BD61-9C52-46EC-86BD-49EFFE609C20.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	20910

Unfortunately I am just over the warranty period, but this problem was clearly there right from the factory so I’m hopeful GD will consider covering any repairs.

Has anyone else seen this problem before?

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you running level when hooked up.

Looks like most of the load is on the rear axle, which is something that happens when nose high.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it is level when towing.

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If level (front-to-back/side-to-side), then it's an alignment issue - could even be a bent axle or spindle (not unheard of). If you have the time, read through to the end of this long thread:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...t=bent+spindle

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That tread wear pattern looks very familiar. In our case (see post #4 of this thread: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...4172-Alignment), the shop determined that both axles were aligned relative to the hitch, but both spindles on the rear axle were bent to the side causing toe-out of both rear wheels. Like @bogen2 we were about 2 months past the 1-year Grand Design warranty, so they didn't offer any help at all. Dexter quickly responded to our submission of a warranty claim by offering a "customer concession" to provide two replacement axles at no cost. The replacement axles will still be rated at 3,500-lbs. each but instead of the original 2-3/8" axle tubes the new ones are supposed to have 3" axle tubes. We are left footing the bill for shop labor as well as replacement tires.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jw^2, Did you take your rig into a tire place and have them check it out for you? How did they determine it was a bad spindle on the axel? Who did you contact at Dexter? How long is the warranty good for? How long did it take them to diagnose and repair? I live full time so its always a juggling act to get repairs done. thanks in advanced. Yellowdog P.S. what rig do you have?
    Last edited by Yellowdog; 10-21-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowdog View Post
    jw^2, Did you take your rig into a tire place and have them check it out for you? How did they determine it was a bad spindle on the axel? Who did you contact at Dexter? How long is the warranty good for? How long did it take them to diagnose and repair? I live full time so its always a juggling act to get repairs done. thanks in advanced. Yellowdog P.S. what rig do you have?
    If memory is correct the axles have a 3 year warranty from Dexter.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We took our trailer to a heavy truck / RV service shop to get the axles diagnosed. Once the shop told me what they found, I contacted Dexter through the warranty claim form on their website. Dexter got back in touch within a day and requested I send a couple more photos. After I emailed the additional photos Dexter got back in touch that same day to offer the replacement axles - not as a warranty service but as what they called a "customer concession". Dexter asked where I wanted the axles shipped to, and a few days later they showed up at the shop where our trailer was. We were quite pleased with the customer service from Dexter.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch