User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fridge use while driving. Yes or no?

No fridge or RV manufacturer that I know of says it is OK to use the fridge on propane while driving, yet a large percentage of RVers do just that.

Thoughts? And for those who do, any problems encountered?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hartcentr View Post
    No fridge or RV manufacturer that I know of says it is OK to use the fridge on propane while driving, yet a large percentage of RVers do just that.

Thoughts? And for those who do, any problems encountered?
    Already a couple threads on this:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post131866
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post151538
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...the-propane-on

For us, yes, we travel with the propane on. Others don't.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Information from Donetic’s and Norcold user manuals, and technician training doesn’t appear to support this claim.

Example from the Dometic 1350 user manual:

When the vehicle is moving, the leveling is not critical, as the rolling and pitching movement of the vehicle will pass to either side of level, keeping the liquid ammonia from ac- cumulating in the evaporator tubing.

From the Norcold 2118 manual:

Operation During Travel While the refrigerator should be level when the vehicle is stopped, performance during travel is not usually effected.

While we can debate the safety of towing with the refrigerator running on propane I haven’t seen a don’t do it from either Dometic or Norcold.
    Last edited by carnolddsm; 06-22-2019 at 04:20 PM.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Usually I leave it off if the travel time is under 3 hrs. I just put a few frozen items that will be used later that day or the next morning in the fridge to thaw them out and help keep the inside cooler.

I mostly was just curious if others had ever had problems...sounds like no from those threads.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carnolddsm View Post
    Information from Donetic’s and Norcold user manuals, and technician training doesn’t appear to support this claim.

Example from the Dometic 1350 user manual:

When the vehicle is moving, the leveling is not critical, as the rolling and pitching movement of the vehicle will pass to either side of level, keeping the liquid ammonia from ac- cumulating in the evaporator tubing.

From the Norcold 2118 manual:

Operation During Travel While the refrigerator should be level when the vehicle is stopped, performance during travel is not usually effected.

While we can debate the safety of towing with the refrigerator running on propane I haven’t seen a don’t do it from either Dometic or Norcold.
    Interesting. My Grand Design operators manual flatly states turn the propane off when driving, period. However, in looking at my Dometic manual, I can't see that it takes a position either way, but it does mention a temporary gas shutoff in the unit itself that will cut the gas off for 15 minutes if the engine is turned off, such as at a service station. This would, I guess, mean they realize people do travel with it on.
    Last edited by hartcentr; 06-22-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to check your vehicle/trailer insurance, and see if it is void in the event of an accident where the propane is involved. The propane section of the manual that I have just read, as have a new Solitude, says to ensure propane is off when refueling. Do people remember to do that?

We never travel with the propane on, as it is not worth the risk. With a previous 5th wheel we had solar panels and used the inverter to power the fridge on 110V, which worked well. Since then we just don't open the fridge in transit.

Rich

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always leave the fridge on while traveling and have never had a problem. However we seldom travel more than 300 miles in one day, whatever that’s worth.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well lets see - I'm 65 been towing since my teens with the fridge on and I am still here. biggest issue was keeping some units lit - particularly dads Airstream. Only place I remember having to turn it off is a ferry ride over to the Olimpia peninsula. The ferry staff went to all the trailers and turned off all the tanks (tagged them too) and you were not allowed near your units until we docked.

Whats a bit funny we also had a propane truck on the crossing. It was parked at the very rear and chained strangely. I asked about it and the chains were connected to winches to dump it off the ferry in case of fire. Made for a good feeling.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put 12,000 miles over 2 1/2 months on our rig on a trip to Alaska this summer. Ran the whole way with the refrigerator on propane and only occasionally were we able to take advantage of electric hook ups. We had no problems with the refrigerator and got about 3 weeks on a 20# tank.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We travel with frig on; but be aware if filling up to be careful of any gas on pavement near frig area of camper. Move camper away immediately from area if find see or smell any or turn off propane at once. Kind of like smoking and filling up with gas is not a good idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast