User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furrion Microwave in 303RLS- Replacement Options, Door Switch Replacement

My 2.5 year old Furrion microwave over stove, Model FMCM15 has started blowing the glass 20 amp fuse in it behind the vent louver. It happens upon opening door, and from past threads here, figure it is faulty door switch. While waiting for return call from Furrion customer service as to whether I can 1) obtain new switch, and 2) replace it myself without taking down the microwave, wondering if others have had success replacing switch. (The prior threads never really really said for certain that I could find.) It looks like bottom panel could be removed...

Also wondering what brand, model folks might have replaced it with, if it came down to that (I have not started researching that yet) and if you were able to find a model that would hang onto the existing wall bracket.

The installation in my RV is not vented to outside.

Thanks!
    ============
    Norm and Mary Ann

2017 F-350 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW Diesel, Factory 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Kit
    2017 Reflection 303RLS, Nov. 2016 Build
    Andersen Ultimate 3220 Hitch

Full-Timing as of June 2018!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad you have received no response to your post, as it appears we may have the same issue in our 7-month old Solitude 310GK/R. In our case a week and a half ago I noticed the display/clock was out evidence of no power. I checked the circuit breaker which was not tripped, with my multi-meter checked for voltage at the plug where there was power, even plugged the microwave into an extension cord to another receptacle with no result. So looking inside behind the vent louver is when I discovered, like you, the 20-Amp glass fuse had blown. I replaced it and the microwave/convection oven worked for a couple days, then without using it I noticed the display was once again dead. Replaced the fuse again and again it worked for a couple days, then went out again last night when I attempted to open the door, there was a brief flash and then no power, so that got me wondering if it might be the door switch as well.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I knew I wasn't the only one, it would just be a matter of time.
    It took Furrion 2 weeks to reply to my inquiry, and they basically said, sorry, can't help you, we don't fix 'em, no instructions on replacing switches. Saw a new Furrion, same model, over on Amazon for about $350...nope, not worth that with same risk, even if it would fit in same space.
    So, ripped out the old 66 pound Furrion, made a custom shelf that I attached to back wall and overhead in about same places old microwave had been (complete with a piece of thin galvanized steel sheet metal on bottom to serve as heat shield over stove top), and bought a $45, 0.9 cubic foot size, light (about 22 pounds) one from Best Buy that sits in it and I stow on floor every time we move. Never really used the convection mode, and since the old one was not externally vented, only thing I'm missing from original one is a light, which I will soon remedy by getting a magnetic battery powered one to stick on the sheet metal... Oh, and about 40 pounds of weight saved! 😁 Quite happy with outcome, stained the new shelf black and it looks like it was made for the spot originally.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your update message. Not surprised Furrion was not helpful, I received the same useless reply inquiring about warranty replacement. We do use the convection mode quite a bit, so any replacement for us will have to have the convection oven mode, like you though not sure I want to stick with Furrion.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd Furrion Convection Microwave broken in 2 years.

We replaced the Furrion Convection Microwave when it died after 7 mos. They sent us the replacement and it was installed the end of August of 2018. It just died again. Called Furrion and they said it was probably just a fuse in Microwave. They said we had to remove microwave to replace it which ended up not being the case. When you remove top piece of molding, there are 3 screws in front of mesh grate over the numbered control panel. Replaced fuse ($7 for 2 pack). Power came back on and reset clock, but did not test. 20 mins later the power on microwave went off again. Replaced with 2nd fuse, set clock and went to cook a baked potato and when I closed the door and before hitting any button, it died again. Furrion won't cover it because it is 2 mos. out of warranty. But they "generously" offered to sell us another one at 25% off.

From this post, sounds like the door switch problem. I shouldn't have to replace a microwave annually! Grand Design should get rid of Furrion Products and get something more dependable. I am not happy with cook top or oven either

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anybody ever tears into one of these to see what is going on, please post the info. I have a hard time imagining the door switch itself failing in a way that can blow a fuse. The door switch simply interrupts power to the supply for the tube when the door is open. No matter how it fails, it won’t cause a fuse to blow, but if there is something wrong with the microwave, closing the door is when the fuse might blow.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jumping in on this thread. Going to look at fuse and possible replacement. We need the convection soooooo......
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the video, that was a great help.
    I replaced all the door switches.
    My question is, do you know of anyone that supplies parts for the FMCM 15 model?
    ie.....the door switch bracket, the switch pins are very weak

Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found the problem and solution

I am an owner of a 2018 Jayco Pinnacle with the same Furrion microwave in question. I tried all the soultions suggested without success. I eventually realized that the bottom door hook. Somehow, through use, it became shorter and would no longer depress the micro switch that is the 2nd from the top. This is the one that the face of the hook depresses. Not the one that moves the white lever that depresses the bottom switch.

I know this is confusing to someone that hasn't torn in to one, but if you get a multimeter and check continuity, you will find the one that doesn't trigger when you close the door.

I redesigned the holder of that micro switch by cutting off the top part of the plastic holding the switch in it's proper position. I also had to remove the plastic clip that holds the switch in place by falling in to the hole designed in the side of the switch. Then I took a tiny piece of 1/8 inch ABS plastic and using high quality super glue glued the tiny piece of plastic to the frame which forces the switch to sit higher in it's holder. I did apply the glue to the sides and bottom of the switch too seeing the top part of the holder was missing.

With the micro switch now raised from it's designed position and glued in to place, the mirowave operates properly again.

Again, I know that the above instructions are abstract and confusing. But if you open one up and invest and diagnose with a multimeter you will figure it out.

I tried electrical tape wrapped around the bottom hook, but it will only hold in place for a few uses. It is a good way to diagnose the solution though. I also did try to build up the hook with some ABS slurry, applying layer after layer until it was "longer." Again that only lasted a few uses until the cap fell off.

Mine started by tripping the breaker, and then moved to blowing the fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    If anybody ever tears into one of these to see what is going on, please post the info. I have a hard time imagining the door switch itself failing in a way that can blow a fuse. The door switch simply interrupts power to the supply for the tube when the door is open. No matter how it fails, it won’t cause a fuse to blow, but if there is something wrong with the microwave, closing the door is when the fuse might blow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast