User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spare tire mount using the trailer 2" hitch

Does anyone use the existing 2" trailer hitch for a spare tire mount? If so what brand do you use. This would make the spare tire easier to keep serviced and no worry about the tire coming loose as they do under the trailer. I have used my spare tire winch three times and this time I found some broken parts in the winch.. Looks like it might have something to do with keeping the cable from getting tangled .. Shouldn't happen with only three uses..

I appreciate any thoughts. THanks Duke
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch
    2002 GMC Duramax 3:73 rear, 2 wheel drive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duke13 View Post
    Does anyone use the existing 2" trailer hitch for a spare tire mount? If so what brand do you use. This would make the spare tire easier to keep serviced and no worry about the tire coming loose as they do under the trailer. I have used my spare tire winch three times and this time I found some broken parts in the winch.. Looks like it might have something to do with keeping the cable from getting tangled .. Shouldn't happen with only three uses..

I appreciate any thoughts. THanks Duke

Duke, this is an older post but I just ran into same situation with the winch. Lowered spare to air it and found a strange disk fall out of the winch. It is a part that acts as a separator to keep winch from gear. Cheap metal,I too only lowered it maybe 3 times to air spare tire.

Lippert sent me a replacement that I will replace this one with. They also gave me a discount on the part to help with the expensive shipping. I did not go with hitch mount as I sometimes bring my bikes but that was a thought. There is another sliding unit available that looks more robust. Still on fence on selling this rig for another model and wanted to stay with stock parts.

Vivian

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA88514D-E224-470F-AFB3-4DC7A675EF89.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	387.6 KB 
ID:	24512

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1E2B1EB5-B80D-41C6-8E3D-A6A391680FB8.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	24513
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beachcamper thanks for the information. I didn't have the same luck with lippert. I did purchase the new winch. How difficult is it to replace ?. Looks like it is very hard to get to the mounting bolts. I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks Duke
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very easy except for the access which will need 4 hands. Enlist another person to help you and lie next to you while you to hold the bolts while you tighten the nuts. It’s just a far reach above the beam where it is secured. Before you remove the original check out how it is positioned to get the new one in the same place.
    Last edited by Beachcamper; 10-06-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Or get the Curt receiver tire carrier and anti rattle clamp from etrailer. I posted about my install.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Powerscol. Where can I find your post ?
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    search here ----> Spare tire mount using the trailer 2" hitch. I have also considered the BAL Hide a spare . This looks good. Might want to check this out before doing anything. good luck..
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfever View Post
    Powerscol. Where can I find your post ?
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ighlight=spare
    Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar