Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone Install AC

I’m thinking about installing a second air conditioner in our front bedroom of our 297RSTS. Supposedly I have the ac prep at the vent location there. I’ve also read that there should be a wire behind the light switch that I can use for the ac thermostat. Is it an easy install?

I’m considering the Coleman MACH 8. I’m wondering about the plug configuration related to what’s prepped, the thermostat wiring, the ducting connection, and the drilling holes for the four bolts to secure it. So if anyone has done this themselves, I would appreciate the advise.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall seeing a YouTube video of a guy who installed a second AC unit in a Grand Design 5th wheel. Detailed information on the wiring for the power source and thermostat installation above the light switch. Try a YouTube search to find the video. Good luck.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John. I did see a couple videos on YouTube, but haven’t looked extensively yet for a GD model installation. I’ll probably do that. If anyone on this forum did one I’d like to hear from them as I may have additional questions.

Anyone??
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found and watched that video John. It’s very detailed. Thanks.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    I’m thinking about installing a second air conditioner in our front bedroom of our 297RSTS. Supposedly I have the ac prep at the vent location there. I’ve also read that there should be a wire behind the light switch that I can use for the ac thermostat. Is it an easy install?

I’m considering the Coleman MACH 8. I’m wondering about the plug configuration related to what’s prepped, the thermostat wiring, the ducting connection, and the drilling holes for the four bolts to secure it. So if anyone has done this themselves, I would appreciate the advise.
    Steve - I would not hesitate to contact GDRV Customer Service as well to cover questions and solicit feedback. I only recall a hand full of folks on the forum installing a second AC themselves. Some if us have had a 2nd AC installed by GDRV Customer Service Center and certainly a number of others by dealers.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Steve - I would not hesitate to contact GDRV Customer Service as well to cover questions and solicit feedback. I only recall a hand full of folks on the forum installing a second AC themselves. Some if us have had a 2nd AC installed by GDRV Customer Service Center and certainly a number of others by dealers.

Dan
    I’ll keep that in mind. It looks pretty straight forward with the pre wiring and all that came with the unit. Thanks Dan.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve7. My son and I have done several ac installs on GD unit. Just a little heads up on our 2018 337 the thermostat wire in the wall wasn’t fixed were it was easy to get to. I had to fish up the wall to find it. Yes I was starting to worry there was no wire. Seeing the wire in the ceiling told me it should be there. Worse part of the job is getting old roof vent off. Be safe it’s not a bad job.
    2018 Reflection 337RL / 2022 GMC Denali 3500HD CC LB Diesel

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 242 checkmate View Post
    Steve7. My son and I have done several ac installs on GD unit. Just a little heads up on our 2018 337 the thermostat wire in the wall wasn’t fixed were it was easy to get to. I had to fish up the wall to find it. Yes I was starting to worry there was no wire. Seeing the wire in the ceiling told me it should be there. Worse part of the job is getting old roof vent off. Be safe it’s not a bad job.
    Thanks for the heads up 242 Checkmate!
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worse part is getting the a/c unit on the roof. You use an ladder and extend it out to where the angle is relatively flat. Then drag the boxed a/c unit with a rope up the extension ladder as an incline.

I bet a professional can do the job in an hour. It'd probably take me 2 hours to do the job. But it's certainly do-able for someone that's handy with their hands.

We've made it 4 Summers without the second a/c unit. Probably will continue to park in shady RV lots in the future and not get the second a/c unit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Worse part is getting the a/c unit on the roof. You use an ladder and extend it out to where the angle is relatively flat. Then drag the boxed a/c unit with a rope up the extension ladder as an incline.

I bet a professional can do the job in an hour. It'd probably take me 2 hours to do the job. But it's certainly do-able for someone that's handy with their hands.

We've made it 4 Summers without the second a/c unit. Probably will continue to park in shady RV lots in the future and not get the second a/c unit.
    Thanks Bamaman. I heard getting it on the roof is one of the hardest parts. I figure it will take me four hours, and if you listen to my wife, that means 8 hours...
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast