User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blown tire damaged trim panel.

Hi, We blew a tire on the rear axle of our 2400BH trailer. It damaged the black sheet metal trim panel that runs from behind the tire to the back end of our trailer. I’m wondering if anyone has replaced this panel themselves and can give guidance on how they did it. Any help would be appreciated.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure the trim panel is just screwed to the camper along with any supports. Follow it up with a bead of silicone along the top of the trim and your good to go.

Now, part of me wants to say that you could go to your dealer and order that panel exact fit to your camper. The other part of me says that would be the RV industry making it too easy for you and I.

So my guess is that you will have to order a section of trim panel and then use your existing trim panel (what's left of it) for a template for any screw holes, any bends it has in it, etc.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TyeeMan, Thanks for your thoughts. Hoping I can get a new panel from GD.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We took out a little more than just the side panel. Since we were approaching our 11th month and had some other warranty issues to be addressed we scheduled the dealer to do the repairs, they were significant enough to file an insurance claim, $3500. The dealer ordered, trimmed, installed the parts in a professional manner that far exceeded by capabilities. I am pretty handy, but I know my limitations. If you don't believe me just ask my wife about tiling the kitchen floor....
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D2Reid, Thanks for your feedback. Not looking forward to hearing estimated cost of repairing our trailer even though our damage appears to be less than yours.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy who i bought my trailer from damaged his... he called Grand Design for the part.. they told him...65 bucks for the part and 400 to ship... He drove to the company and picked it up...then it was a cut to fit part with tin snips and screwed and silicon'ed on. looks like new.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dohertycm, Thanks for the info! We are in a position to go to GD’s plant on our way home. I’m going to call them and see if they have the part and we can pick it up.